Page 16 of 134 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    In hindsight, no, but it was one of my most favorite characters for many a year at that point. I never expected to see CATWS so many times but the story, characterization and action blew me out of the water. That I enjoy it even more than the source material is the icing on the cake.
    As long as you enjoy it that's all that counts.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    As long as you enjoy it that's all that counts.
    Indeed. That's true of anything.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

And back to Cap...

thanks to comicbookmovie.com,

Keyframe artist Rodney Fuentebella (who also worked on the Avengers) posted some CATWS work he did. I love the elevator escape image.

I never quite understood the stealth suit until I saw the film. I know Steve did some covert things comics-wise, but I completely got the need for that suit within the first few minutes of the movie.

I hope you find a jacket you like at that site.

I hope Cap has more than an extended cameo in AoU.

15 times about 18 years ago > when going to the movies did not break the bank.

I hope this travels so you can go. I've missed a lot of cool events for the same reason.

Okay, I'm embarrassed but the film in question was Escape From L.A. and what kills me is I've yet to see the vastly superior Escape from New York on the big screen (or The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China for that matter.) I'd been a massive Snake Plissken fan for many years at that point and almost got a shot at interviewing Kurt. In hindsight, he was a lot of fun but the movie wasn't. There were a couple of scenes that were worth revisiting that many times though.
    Yeah, I understood it too, but I also think it was kind of a philosophical thing as well. Going from stealth suit back to original.

Thanks. There are a couple on that site I like.

I'm sure Cap will get plenty of time to shine in AoU. Whedon did a great job of giving everyone equal limelight in Avengers, I don't see him not doing it here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. For most movies, I wait for them at the dollar cinema, I only go to "current" movies if there really something I've been looking forward to.

Thanks. I hope so too.

Escape From L.A. is a good movie, I like it a lot one of my favorite scenes is...

And back to Cap...

thanks to comicbookmovie.com,

Keyframe artist Rodney Fuentebella (who also worked on the Avengers) posted some CATWS work he did. I love the elevator escape image.
    WOW!!! That art is really good!
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    Yeah, I understood it too, but I also think it was kind of a philosophical thing as well. Going from stealth suit back to original.

Thanks. There are a couple on that site I like.

I'm sure Cap will get plenty of time to shine in AoU. Whedon did a great job of giving everyone equal limelight in Avengers, I don't see him not doing it here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. For most movies, I wait for them at the dollar cinema, I only go to "current" movies if there really something I've been looking forward to.

Thanks. I hope so too.

Escape From L.A. is a good movie, I like it a lot one of my favorite scenes is...

WOW!!! That art is really good!
    Nice points about the Stealth suit. I think Cap will get a lot more time in AoU thanks to the Hydra/S.H.I.E.L.D. fallout. I'm actually looking forward to the sequel (not a Whedon fan) but with a favorite character actor as Von Strucker and the concept of the 'twins', it should be fun. I just hope I don't hear James Spader's attorney from Boston Legal when Ultron is talking.

Ah, yes, Bangkok Rules. I was kind of bummed the original introduction scene for Snake was never shot (very iconic and O.T.T.)

I wish there were still dollar cinemas in NYC...but at least we still have discounts on the weekends.

Yeah, Fueuntebella's art is great. I smiled when I noticed that Cap is wearing his CATFA costume in that elevator escape moment. I think you're posting of the costumes has made me a bit more aware of what he's wearing in the films.

Nice points about the Stealth suit.
    Yeah, I think so, too. I think it's trying to say something like, at first Cap was acquiescing or deferring to everyone due to his unfamiliarity with our society's more "shades of gray" viewpoints, and trying to be "modern" in that respect. Also not being real sure about the protection over freedom debate (that is still relevant) or even WHAT he's fighting for in our "new" world. Then he has the epiphany realizes that sometimes things aren't "gray", fear over freedom is NEVER good, and he's fighting for everyone, and ta-da, classic good ol' Cap is back! At least that's some of what I got out of it.

I think Cap will get a lot more time in AoU thanks to the Hydra/S.H.I.E.L.D. fallout. I'm actually looking forward to the sequel (not a Whedon fan)
    You realize that Whedon is to comic nerds, what Peter Jackson is to Tolkien nerds, right? Never, EVER, question or doubt...the WHEDON! (kidding)

but with a favorite character actor as Von Strucker and the concept of the 'twins', it should be fun. I just hope I don't hear James Spader's attorney from Boston Legal when Ultron is talking.
    If you've seen The Blacklist, then you know Spader will be good (great) as Ultron. :-)

Ah, yes, Bangkok Rules. I was kind of bummed the original introduction scene for Snake was never shot (very iconic and O.T.T.)
    I actually used this strategy (sans the guns) at the beginning of a fight with a school bully many years ago. It worked!

I wish there were still dollar cinemas in NYC...but at least we still have discounts on the weekends.
    You live in NYC? Ah, you're so lucky! I figured you lived somewhere close to NYC, due to our conversation about Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N. What borough?

Yeah, Fueuntebella's art is great. I smiled when I noticed that Cap is wearing his CATFA costume in that elevator escape moment. I think you're posting of the costumes has made me a bit more aware of what he's wearing in the films.
    Really? I didn't notice that. The student has become the teacher! LOL

But yes the art is quite fantastic...
    Last edited by tg1982; 06-06-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Great pics! Cap has a bomber jacket!!!!!! We've come to the conclusion that bomber jackets scream AWESOME!
    - George Washington

Thanks to Cold_War_Myth for posting the link to these awesome Captain America: TWS pics.

dhh8Z6T.jpg
    Cap leaping out of SHIELD Headquarters.

Qxk1oZb.jpg
    Cap's fight in elevator.

J9X6Y4N.jpg
    Cap vs WS on bridge.
    - George Washington

@CJstriker > Adorable and yup, Bomber jacket in tow... woo hooo...

Yeah, I think so, too. I think it's trying to say something like, at first Cap was acquiescing or deferring to everyone due to his unfamiliarity with our society's more "shades of gray" viewpoints, and trying to be "modern" in that respect. Also not being real sure about the protection over freedom debate (that is still relevant) or even WHAT he's fighting for in our "new" world. Then he has the epiphany realizes that sometimes things aren't "gray", fear over freedom is NEVER good, and he's fighting for everyone, and ta-da, classic good ol' Cap is back! At least that's some of what I got out of it.

You realize that Whedon is to comic nerds, what Peter Jackson is to Tolkien nerds, right? Never, EVER, question or doubt...the WHEDON! (kidding)

If you've seen The Blacklist, then you know Spader will be good (great) as Ultron. :-)

I actually used this strategy (sans the guns) at the beginning of a fight with a school bully many years ago. It worked!

You live in NYC? Ah, you're so lucky! I figured you lived somewhere close to NYC, due to our conversation about Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N. What borough?

Really? I didn't notice that. The student has become the teacher! LOL

But yes the art is quite fantastic...
    Again, very nice thoughts on the stealth suit. Clearly echoes the themes of the movie and where does this man out of time fit in, if indeed he does. I love that "This isn't freedom, this is fear" line. That's so Cap...and so true.

Have you picked up the screenplay for CATFA, it's given me a much needed inside perspective on what Johnson was going for film-wise. I really hope Marvel publishes the Captain America: The Winter Soldier script (before the 3rd film comes out), I'm dying to read that.

Whedon - I'll keep my trap shut. I'm hoping he'll make a film I enjoy. And dear sir, I'm not sure if you've read any Tolkien boards since the Hobbit films, but there's a lot of not nice things being said about Peter Jackson (whom I am also not a fan of...but I'm still seeing these theatrically for Thorin whose always been my favorite ME character....)

I know Spader will knock it out of the park (my limited viewing of the Blacklist notwithstanding,) and he'll probably be pretty unnerving. It's going to be fun to see what he does as an A.I.

Ah ha! Bangkok Rules always wins. Glad to hear that helped you.

Yeah, I work in NYC and getting to Times Square is not a problem. Getting to NY Comic Con apparently is though.

I hope Rodney will share more of his concept art with AoU.

Speaking of art, Nic Klein's art looks fabulous in the Cap 21 preview... but I will just say I hope to heck he gets a chance to draw these characters again whenever a new creative team comes in.

Again, very nice thoughts on the stealth suit. Clearly echoes the themes of the movie and where does this man out of time fit in, if indeed he does. I love that "This isn't freedom, this is fear" line. That's so Cap...and so true.
    Thanks. And that line is one of my favorite from the movies as well. Along with "on your left," and of course the "Price of freedom" speech.

Have you picked up the screenplay for CATFA, it's given me a much needed inside perspective on what Johnson was going for film-wise. I really hope Marvel publishes the Captain America: The Winter Soldier script (before the 3rd film comes out), I'm dying to read that.
    No, I have not. I've got to find it though. I MUST have it!

Whedon - I'll keep my trap shut. I'm hoping he'll make a film I enjoy. And dear sir, I'm not sure if you've read any Tolkien boards since the Hobbit films, but there's a lot of not nice things being said about Peter Jackson (whom I am also not a fan of...but I'm still seeing these theatrically for Thorin whose always been my favorite ME character....)
    You didn't like the Avengers? As for Peter Jackson, I must confess, madam, I have not been to any Tolkien boards. I thought after the LotR trilogy that people loved him. I was unaware that the Hobbit was not very well liked. BY "ME" I assume you mean Middle Earth (and not Mass Effect ), my favorite characters are Boromir (I like the "redemption" aspect) and Aragorn. If you are, indeed talking about Mass Effect , then it's my dear sweet Liara, and my bro, Garrus. LOL. (If you haven't played the Mass Effect trilogy, then you simply must, it's awesome!)

I know Spader will knock it out of the park (my limited viewing of the Blacklist notwithstanding,) and he'll probably be pretty unnerving. It's going to be fun to see what he does as an A.I.
    Yes, Spader is amazing, Blacklist is one of my favorite TV shows. Spader's voice, I think has that "Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith" quality, being able to be ominous and unemotional (that's at least how I think he'll play it).

Ah ha! Bangkok Rules always wins. Glad to hear that helped you.
    Me too! I used a rock (instead of a can), and when he looked up I immediately punched him in the nose and then ran away. LOL.

Yeah, I work in NYC and getting to Times Square is not a problem. Getting to NY Comic Con apparently is though.
    NYC must be pretty exciting.

I hope Rodney will share more of his concept art with AoU.
    I certainly hope so!

Speaking of art, Nic Klein's art looks fabulous in the Cap 21 preview... but I will just say I hope to heck he gets a chance to draw these characters again whenever a new creative team comes in.
    Yeah Nic is one of my favorite Cap artists he was on CBR a few days ago! And answered some of my questions, he's a really nice and cool guy. And my #1, Carlos Pacheco, is taking over after him (for an arc at least).
    - George Washington

Thanks. And that line is one of my favorite from the movies as well. Along with "on your left," and of course the "Price of freedom" speech.

No, I have not. I've got to find it though. I MUST have it!

You didn't like the Avengers? As for Peter Jackson, I must confess, madam, I have not been to any Tolkien boards. I thought after the LotR trilogy that people loved him. I was unaware that the Hobbit was not very well liked. BY "ME" I assume you mean Middle Earth (and not Mass Effect ), my favorite characters are Boromir (I like the "redemption" aspect) and Aragorn. If you are, indeed talking about Mass Effect , then it's my dear sweet Liara, and my bro, Garrus. LOL. (If you haven't played the Mass Effect trilogy, then you simply must, it's awesome!)

Yes, Spader is amazing, Blacklist is one of my favorite TV shows. Spader's voice, I think has that "Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith" quality, being able to be ominous and unemotional (that's at least how I think he'll play it).

Me too! I used a rock (instead of a can), and when he looked up I immediately punched him in the nose and then ran away. LOL.

NYC must be pretty exciting.

I certainly hope so!

Yeah Nic is one of my favorite Cap artists he was on CBR a few days ago! And answered some of my questions, he's a really nice and cool guy. And my #1, Carlos Pacheco, is taking over after him (for an arc at least).

"On your left" was fun. Ironically, Riley was on Falcon's left in that photo Same shows to Steve and Natasha when he passes along his "resume" And, yes, the "price of freedom" is pure Cap. I beam when he gives that speech.

CATFA screenplay purchase link This gave me a lot more respect for McFeely and Markus as screenwriters because I was able to see the differences with Red Skull (on the page instead of the performance) and the montage scenes. Those are still issues for me, but I've gone from really liking CATFA to loving it. So mission accomplished.

Avengers? Nope outside of Banner/Hulk and at tiny bit of Cap. Not a fan of Thor and Loki in MCU (and I've never liked Loki in any incarnation.) There were other problems too, thankfully fixed by CATWS. Peter Jackson, ah well. Outside of the wizards in LoTR, Aragorn/Strider was the one character who continuously appealed to me, and yes they did some good things with Boromir in the films. Shrugs, different strokes. And yes, by ME I meant Middle Earth. No video games here...(just do not play them tis all.)

Still I think Avengers AoU will be a better film than the first because of how much CATWS raised the bar - for me anyway. If Joss can keep the emotional connection I adored in CATWS, great. And I expect Spader to make me wince...still not sure how Ultron is going to work into that whole scheme of things, although he could very well be a distraction for Captain America and his "colorful friends" while something far more insidious is occurring

I know many love the Avengers, that's cool. I just want to like AoU.

Haha! Rock beats can. That's great.

NYC can be pretty exciting, you never know what might happen (I hear Vegas is too...)

That's great you heard from Nik...as I said I hope he gets more work with Cap and WS...

"On your left" was fun. Ironically, Riley was on Falcon's left in that photo Same shows to Steve and Natasha when he passes along his "resume" And, yes, the "price of freedom" is pure Cap. I beam when he gives that speech.
    I never noticed that about Riley. And I love Falcon's reaction to Cap's speech. LOL.

CATFA screenplay purchase link This gave me a lot more respect for McFeely and Markus as screenwriters because I was able to see the differences with Red Skull (on the page instead of the performance) and the montage scenes. Those are still issues for me, but I've gone from really liking CATFA to loving it. So mission accomplished.
    Awesome! CA:TFA was my favorite Marvel Studios solo movie (until CA:TWS, obviously), but my bias could have, and most likely was, a factor in that as much as anything. But I still thought it was a good movie as well. Chris Evans (IS Cap), Haley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, and Hugo Weaving were all splendid in the movie. I'm glad you really like it. I'll have to check it out now, for sure.

Avengers? Nope outside of Banner/Hulk and at tiny bit of Cap. Not a fan of Thor and Loki in MCU (and I've never liked Loki in any incarnation.) There were other problems too, thankfully fixed by CATWS. Peter Jackson, ah well. Outside of the wizards in LoTR, Aragorn/Strider was the one character who continuously appealed to me, and yes they did some good things with Boromir in the films. Shrugs, different strokes. And yes, by ME I meant Middle Earth. No video games here...(just do not play them tis all.)
    I like Hiddleston as Loki a lot, but I can understand how some wouldn't. I really LOVE Avengers, but as you say, different strokes. As for Boromir I really liked the final battle how Kurtz(?) shoots him with a lot of arrows and Boromir just keeps fighting, until the end. Also Sean Bean is a terrific actor, IMO, so that really helps. With Aragorn he was kind of incorruptible, like how Sauron tried to sway him, towards the end of Return of the King and fails.

Still I think Avengers AoU will be a better film than the first because of how much CATWS raised the bar - for me anyway. If Joss can keep the emotional connection I adored in CATWS, great. And I expect Spader to make me wince...still not sure how Ultron is going to work into that whole scheme of things, although he could very well be a distraction for Captain America and his "colorful friends" while something far more insidious is occurring
    I think it'll be awesome. I'm looking forward to Spader as Ultron and seeing the "miracle twins" and me a little "kooky quartet" homage going on, perhaps as a wink to fans. And of course seeing how Cap is in the movie.

I know many love the Avengers, that's cool. I just want to like AoU.
    I hope you do.

Haha! Rock beats can. That's great.

NYC can be pretty exciting, you never know what might happen (I hear Vegas is too...)
    Yeah, I love Vegas. There is always something to do. Shows, sightseeing, clubs, and of course gambling (be careful with that though), plus there is no such thing as a last call so it's a party literally all night long. New Year's is REALLY huge here. I do want to visit the "city so nice they named it twice" someday though. See MSG, Time Square, catch a show, say I survived Hell's Kitchen, and fight a Yankees fan. LOL. (I'm kidding, well, mostly kidding. )

That's great you heard from Nik...as I said I hope he gets more work with Cap and WS...
    I think he will, that was my question, "If he was just alternating with Pacheco on Cap's solo." His answer give me the impression that we'd see more of his Captain America.
    - George Washington

I never noticed that about Riley. And I love Falcon's reaction to Cap's speech. LOL.
    Well, like I missed the shield... so you missed that.

Yeah that made me laugh. Sam was such a great portrayal of a serious and loyal soldier (and friend) and a bit of a wise-ass. Mackie's perf really made him feel genuine and real to me.

Awesome! CA:TFA was my favorite Marvel Studios solo movie (until CA:TWS, obviously), but my bias could have, and most likely was, a factor in that as much as anything. But I still thought it was a good movie as well. Chris Evans (IS Cap), Haley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, and Hugo Weaving were all splendid in the movie. I'm glad you really like it. I'll have to check it out now, for sure.
    Tucci makes me cry when he's talking to Steve about why he was chosen. He was just so wonderful; I want to hug his Erskine. I wish there was more with Sebastian Stan and Steve, they were so terrific together. And I liked that it was Brubaker's Bucky informing Stan's perf. That mixed with the beautiful performance by Chris. They just nail it.

I'm not a fan of Weaving in most of this, I never quite believed he was Schmidt, which was why I was so happy that CATWS used Hydra (and a proxy of his Red Skull his organization rather than him) instead of going the published route. I dug Toby Jones (I appreciated him a lot more after reading this and seeing Zola in CATWS.) So it's all good.

And the Howling Commados were just perfect too. I wanted a lot more with Gabe, Dum Dum and Morita especially.

Back to the script, I was happily surprised when Marvel published this.

Speaking of publishing, have you read Larry Hama's prose novel of the Death of Captain America? I haven't yet and I was wondering what folks thought.

I like Hiddleston as Loki a lot, but I can understand how some wouldn't. I really LOVE Avengers, but as you say, different strokes. As for Boromir I really liked the final battle how Kurtz(?) shoots him with a lot of arrows and Boromir just keeps fighting, until the end. Also Sean Bean is a terrific actor, IMO, so that really helps. With Aragorn he was kind of incorruptible, like how Sauron tried to sway him, towards the end of Return of the King and fails.
    Yeah, MCU Thor and Loki are disappointing to me. Hiddleston is very good, but the whole thing just isn't my cuppa. It's all good.

Thanks for the Boromir fill in, I've forgotten that completely. Nice to know that he was incorruptible.

I think it'll be awesome. I'm looking forward to Spader as Ultron and seeing the "miracle twins" and me a little "kooky quartet" homage going on, perhaps as a wink to fans. And of course seeing how Cap is in the movie. I hope you do.
    The villains are the big draw for me: the twins, Von Strucker and Ultron. Makes the stakes so much higher. If I like it, great. If not, I've got the Cap movies and that's plenty for me.

Yeah, I love Vegas. There is always something to do. Shows, sightseeing, clubs, and of course gambling (be careful with that though), plus there is no such thing as a last call so it's a party literally all night long. New Year's is REALLY huge here. I do want to visit the "city so nice they named it twice" someday though. See MSG, Time Square, catch a show, say I survived Hell's Kitchen, and fight a Yankees fan. LOL. (I'm kidding, well, mostly kidding. )
    I'm not a party person, but I think I'd still go to Vegas once. NYC also has that City that Never sleeps because you can find stuff to do and eat until the wee hours. Unfortunately the Hell's Kitchen area is gentrified now (as is Times Square ) 20 years ago it was another story. Now surviving the crowds that's another story.

I remember a former friend in a band not wanting to tour in NY back then because he still felt it was like what he'd seen in the Warriors and Escape From NY. LOL.

Being that baseball puts me to sleep, you can pick whatever fights you like.

I think he will, that was my question, "If he was just alternating with Pacheco on Cap's solo." His answer give me the impression that we'd see more of his Captain America.
    Cool. I liked the cover of Cap 21 and I loved his work on Winter Soldier.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 06-07-2014 at 08:09 AM.

So... has anyone read any good comics lately?
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.