Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Judging by the mixed reaction, I reckon having the turn happen in Excalibur was a bit of an unforced error. Excalibur hasn't exactly been the best book at selling or communicating story beats. Obviously you're supposed to go into the tourny and it's wall-to-wall Saturnyne shithousery (because Krakoa can't win in a straight up fight), but this really needs to be shown by the characters' reactions to it - not just wrongfooting the reader by having characters just cheerily go along with everything like the "this is fine" dog.

Imagine if we'd had the Krakoa swordbearers arguing among themselves in their quarters after Betsy exploded into a million pieces, instead of say, two issues worth of Logan looking for a sword by himself earlier on.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 11-16-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    If we had only two x-books being written chances are greater that 90 % of the posters here would be bitching and complaining every hour of everyday that their favourite character is never in a story. As it is now even with nine books available each with its own cast they're still complaining that their ultimate fave is not getting enough appearances and when they do show up they're written badly.

Some people will never be/don't want to be satisfied no matter what.

Personally, I like that we have many options from which to choose. (I'm reading only what I like/interests me...that's six out of the nine)
    Do I like everything about everything I'm reading? Absolutely not...looking at you Excalibur. But the point is...we can choose to read/not read as many or as little books as we want/don't want.

The problem is not that HiX-Man and Co. are writing too many books or that all the writers are "bad"...
    People definitely would, but that's the problem with any comic franchise getting too big with such a big cast. It's the same with the Batman books, and that was designed with a clear solo lead.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I feel that reading Creation, Stasis, and Destruction only would make this event seem far better.
    I'm hoping we get a trade with just these three and Hickman's X-Men issues (as repetitive as they seem to be).

I'm still in shock how bad Excalibur was. I feel like throwing the comicbook away so I do not have to be remembered how bad this reading experience seing it in my apartment. I'm not even kidding...it is probably even worse than Chuck Austen. I know it is super rude writing this about the work of a writer but IT IS SOOOO BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm hoping we get a trade with just these three and Hickman's X-Men issues (as repetitive as they seem to be).
    Or maybe those 3 + the only true, objective retelling of the History of Arakko!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Judging by the mixed reaction, I reckon having the turn happen in Excalibur was a bit of an unforced error. Excalibur hasn't exactly been the best book at selling or communicating story beats. Obviously you're supposed to go into the tourny and it's wall-to-wall Saturnyne shithousery (because Krakoa can't win in a straight up fight), but this really needs to be shown by the characters' reactions to it - not just wrongfooting the reader by having characters just cheerily go along with everything like the "this is fine" dog.

Imagine if we'd had the Krakoa swordbearers arguing among themselves in their quarters after Betsy exploded into a million pieces, instead of say, two issues worth of Logan looking for a sword by himself earlier on.
    Well said, Wolverine searching for a sword shd have been one issue, no need to absolutely waste an issue on Doug and another on his wedding...then to top it off an Xmen issue that retreads every panel about Arrako in Amenth. A 22 issue arc is about 18 issues in fact ,and even those 18 are turning into a joke.So much more could have been done instead of those dead weight issues.
    Last edited by Rev9; 11-16-2020 at 11:29 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

People forgetting half the Wolverine was to show off Solemn and set up whatever Hand story Percy's planning.
    "Cable was right!"

No... Hickman's X-Men is going uphill.... in the Floating Kingdom of Roma Regina!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    People forgetting half the Wolverine was to show off Solemn and set up whatever Hand story Percy's planning.
    Nobody forgot it’s just nobody cares about solem or the hand because why would we?

Astonishing Member

Solem and Wolverine could be done in one issue,split the issue into two halves (in the same comic) :Logan's quest and Solem's quest.Then have them meet at the end.It was so easy but they had to make 2 issues out of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I'm still in shock how bad Excalibur was. I feel like throwing the comicbook away so I do not have to be remembered how bad this reading experience seing it in my apartment. I'm not even kidding...it is probably even worse than Chuck Austen. I know it is super rude writing this about the work of a writer but IT IS SOOOO BAD!
    I wouldn't go as far as "worse than Chuck Austen" but the reading experience is about as painful for me, considering how my favorite character is treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as "worse than Chuck Austen" but the reading experience is about as painful for me, considering how my favorite character is treated.
    It feels like to me the targeted audience for the book are children between 6 and 9...

It feels like to me the targeted audience for the book are children between 6 and 9...
    Such violence
    GrindrStone(D)

The wedding issue definitely felt like that. Ffs, Disney movies have more believable relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Such violence
    I'm sorry if I come across too harsh?! I'm just quite shocked how bad this comicbook is and I'm annoyed how crossovers forcing me to read bad books so I get the entire story. And I honestly think it is targeted towards children. Which is of course totally fine!! Although I do not really get how the tone of this particular book is intended to fit with the tone of Hickman's other writing?!

But I said what I wanted to say and I move on from it now.
    Last edited by Exodus; 11-17-2020 at 12:59 AM.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Awww. What about ironic/campy appreciation? I mean, last week was Hobbs and Shaw/Kingsman 2 Tier of hilarious/godawful. The books thought so hard they were subverting/inverting/whatever tropes, but (somehow?!) didn't realize they were doing it in the most obnoxious/cringey/juvenile way possible.

"What's that, you thought you were getting a Mortal Kombat-esque second act followed by a Lord of the Rings-esque finale? Ah! Subversion of expectations ACTIVATE! More standing around and talking! Wolverine! Dancing! Wolverine! Arm wrestling! Wolverine! People exploding but not really! More Wolverine! Weddings! Did I mention Wolverine? Dragon Ex Machinas! Yay!"