Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

That's more in depth than the Marvel 101 videos are - they should do this format more often.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

how old is monica in the comics canonically?

Not through estimations but actual mentions?

I don't know if the comics have ever actually mentioned it, but the MCU version was a child in the 90s, so would be in her 30s now.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Monica is old enough to still use Janet Jackson catchphrases, but that could just be bad writing trying to frame the culture by drawing upon a very much dated reference point.

SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN: KING IN BLACK #3 (OF 5)
    Peter David (W) • GREG LAND (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY DECLAN SHALVEY
    Forces collide!
    Take a trip with SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN as he aligns himself with…KANG THE CONQUEROR? That can’t be right.
    Be here in January to see how the pieces fit as Spider-Man heads to space!
    You’ll never guess who else is here to help Spidey! (Hint: She’s on the cover!)
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-so...-january-2021/

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Forces collide!
    Take a trip with SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN as he aligns himself with…KANG THE CONQUEROR? That can’t be right.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Time travel?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Time travel?
    Doesn’t this miniseries take place in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Doesn’t this miniseries take place in the past.
    I missed the CBR article link. Let me read up on it. It will be good to see Captain Marvel either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Forces collide!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Ha! The 1980s Captain Marvel that so many Gen Y & Z fans somehow hate passionately. I hope that she has a good showing. And hopefully defeats Kang. I can see him as covetous of her powers.

Too bad that Peter and Monica never dated.. could have made for a nice arc or two.

Monica's police career in New Orleans has almost never been shown in any flashbacks. Somebody should address this someday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Ha! The 1980s Captain Marvel that so many Gen Y & Z fans somehow hate passionately. I hope that she has a good showing. And hopefully defeats Kang. I can see him as covetous of her powers.

Too bad that Peter and Monica never dated.. could have made for a nice arc or two.

Monica's police career in New Orleans has almost never been shown in any flashbacks. Somebody should address this someday.
    Gen Y and Z fandom hates Monica???

This is news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Gen Y and Z fandom hates Monica???

This is news to me.
    some do. not all. they retroactively somehow think it was bunk that Monica became the 80s Cap Marvel and Carol became Binary (and for a number of years, more or less disappeared)..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    some do. not all. they retroactively somehow think it was bunk that Monica became the 80s Cap Marvel and Carol became Binary (and for a number of years, more or less disappeared)..
    I imagine anyone who feels that way has a very selective perspective and faulty memory.

After all, Carol wasn't even remotely concerned with using the name Captain Marvel. She could have easily picked it up and continued Mar-Vell's legacy. There could have been a nice backstory in Avengers or wherever to that effect with Carol receiving Mar-Vell's blessing on his deathbed to use the name. None of that ever happened. Carol was happy being Ms. Marvel, and when she lost her powers and transformed into Binary, she embraced that name as well. Why? Because it represented her new identity and reclamation of her status as a truly empowered, unique woman. She wasn't in the least bit interested in dwelling in Mar-Vell's shadow, let alone taking and living up to his mantle. That would have been contrary to what she was all about as a feminist.

It was Monica who picked up the dropped baton and ran with it. The media adorned her with the name and Captain America blessed it. With anyone else it ends there. But no, this is Marvel after all. The place where after 80+ years you can count the number of Black cosmic heroes on one hand, minus a few digits. It was Monica who kept the name in the public view and put her own stamp on it. It was Monica who graciously relinquished the name to Mar-Vell's heirs, even though she never had to do so. No one since has ever had to do so.

I'm totally fine with Carol having the name now by editorial mandate, if not the pulling of an executive lever here and there. But let's not get it twisted. Carol only has the name because MCG wasn't about to advance Monica's face as Marvel's first female. She and others like her will always be second chair. Some will blame Marvel's readership base for that, but I think we know better.

I would hope that many here are already familiar with the woman in the photo, but for those of you who are not, meet World Long Drive Golf Champion Troy Mullins, the Trojan Goddess. Marvel artists, please pay attention. This is what Monica Rambeau should look like. If you're drawing her like she's just another skinny model with augmentations, you need to toss that image and start over. Monica's frame and figure should sing of untold, almost majestic power and grace.

And by all means, ditch the trench coat. A sista has more style than that. Leave the long-coat for Gambit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I would hope that many here are already familiar with the woman in the photo, but for those of you who are not, meet World Long Drive Golf Champion Troy Mullins, the Trojan Goddess. Marvel artists, please pay attention. This is what Monica Rambeau should look like. If you're drawing her like she's just another skinny model with augmentations, you need to toss that image and start over. Monica's frame and figure should sing of untold, almost majestic power and grace.

And by all means, ditch the trench coat. A sista has more style than that. Leave the long-coat for Gambit.
    Overall I agree but they should draw her like Teyonah Parris aswell since she’s playing her in media that we know will reach far more ppl then comics..

just googled Ms. Mullins. Good goddess ... why hadn't I ever heard of her before .. lol.. Marvel, bring her into something..