Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I get why she's unhappy about Wakanda entering into a conflict with a galactic Empire. Wakanda aside, it's potentially endangering the entire planet.

Likely not the stance an MCU Shuri would take. It'll be interesting to see which version ultimately sticks, cause right now she's somewhat all over the place.
    MCU Shuri wouldn’t be emphatic about her disagreement, assuming she would disagreed. I don’t think she would.

I still think the MCU will shift Shuri slightly towards her comic book counterpart. Not doing so at some point would make things very disjointed, especially for a character with some popularity in the MCU.

The Shuri book really didn’t help things in that regard. Fans of that book are going to be really confused as for why Shuri is behaving the way she is in Ironheart and BP, as well as the previous stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    MCU Shuri wouldn’t be emphatic about her disagreement, assuming she would disagreed. I don’t think she would.

I still think the MCU will shift Shuri slightly towards her comic book counterpart. Not doing so at some point would make things very disjointed, especially for a character with some popularity in the MCU.

The Shuri book really didn’t help things in that regard. Fans of that book are going to be really confused as for why Shuri is behaving the way she is in Ironheart and BP, as well as the previous stories.
    Yeah, the Shuri book's transformation into the MCU version was far too jarring. They tried to expain it... but it ultimately does make the issue a bit more confusing, especially since the MCU version isn't quite what we're seeing elsewhere.

As far as the MCU version being more like the comic version... I can see that. It gives her more of a character arc. Allows her to grow up a little.

Yeah, the Shuri book's transformation into the MCU version was far too jarring. They tried to expain it... but it ultimately does make the issue a bit more confusing, especially since the MCU version isn't quite what we're seeing elsewhere.
    Did they even try to explain? I would argue that there lack of an explanation (in-panel) is one of the book’s biggest weaknesses. From behaving like a teen to being suddenly open to pan-Africanism. All that with little to no explanation. The Ironheart and BP books in particular contradict that.

As far as the MCU version being more like the comic version... I can see that. It gives her more of a character arc. Allows her to grow up a little.
    It’s either that or she remains just a scientist the rest of the way. Which is short-changing the character, imho.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 09-21-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Did they even try to explain? I would argue that there lack of an explanation (in-panel) is one of the book’s biggest weaknesses. From behaving like a teen to being suddenly open to pan-Africanism. All that with little to no explanation. The Ironheart and BP books in particular contradict that.

It’s either that or she remains just a scientist the rest of the way. Which is short-changing the character, imho.
    They tried to explain that her different appearance and her different personality came from her experience being dead or whatever, but she was starting to be "herself" again. Not much of an explanation, as the current version is more different than any we've seen in the past. But synergy... sucks, what are ya gonna do?

11.jpg

They tried to explain that her different appearance and her different personality came from her experience being dead or whatever, but she was starting to be "herself" again. Not much of an explanation, as the current version is more different than any we've seen in the past. But synergy... sucks, what are ya gonna do?

11.jpg
    The appearance explanation works, no question. The personality explanation didn’t (I think I mentioned it back then in the old Shuri thread). If she was back to her old self, then she should’ve been acting like her BP / “Queen Shuri” self, just without the mantle / title. It’s one thing to be a lot more relaxed, but a former head of state who declared war behaving like a teenager?

The way she was behaving for most of the books, you wouldn’t even think that she was either Queen or BP, or that she actually committed the actions she did as Queen. It was a very strange read and will confused MCU (and some comics) fans who’s first impression of Shuri is her book. I can only imagine their reaction to previous versions of Shuri (including Coates’ Shuri, tbh).

Shuri in the Ironheart and BP books def give off the vibe that they have ruled and are to be taken seriously. Shuri openly said so in the Ironheart books, in fact.

But as you alluded to, the need for synergy trumped all.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 09-22-2019 at 06:42 AM.

The appearance explanation works, no question. The personality explanation didn’t (I think I mentioned it back then in the old Shuri thread). If she was back to her old self, then she should’ve been acting like her BP / “Queen Shuri” self, just without the mantle / title. It’s one thing to be a lot more relaxed, but a former head of state who declared war behaving like a teenager?

The way she was behaving for most of the books, you wouldn’t even think that she was either Queen or BP, or that she actually committed the actions she did as Queen. It was a very strange read and will confused MCU (and some comics) fans who’s first impression of Shuri is her book. I can only imagine their reaction to previous versions of Shuri (including Coates’ Shuri, tbh).

Shuri in the Ironheart and BP books def give off the vibe that they have ruled and are to be taken seriously. Shuri openly said so in the Ironheart books, in fact.

But as you alluded to, the need for synergy trumped all.
    Maybe we can assume that Shuri as queen wasn't quite herself either... the role sort of hardened her. A Shuri without the title as queen (something he honestly saw very little of under Hudlin) might have been a bit more chill. Maybe. For what it's worth the Shuri we saw in Rise was somewhat more MCU like. Though not to the same degree as what we saw in the Shuri solo book.

At the end of the day, it comes back to synergy. The book gave a somewhat week explanation of it, but it's what we got. I think the important thing is that the writers start getting on the same page one way or the other. Either commit to the MCU Shuri, or go with the Griot version, or whatever. Just pick one and be consistant.