Page 1812 of 1875 FirstFirst ... 812131217121762180218081809181018111812181318141815181618221862 ... LastLast
Results 27,166 to 27,180 of 28116
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Regarding Hal, I was literally answering a very specific post (Krypto's Fleas) who did suggest prioritizing rehabilitating Hal's image over stuff like BoP and SS2. If you're going to bother replying to a post, at least see the entire context it was made in. Sorry for being snippy but it's frustrating because both you and Johnny took my post out of context and attributed suggestions to me that I didn't make (i.e. "sweeping Hal under the rug" as Johnny said or "alienating his fanbase" as you said).
    I did read your post, and I agree that prioritizing Hal over BOP specifically isn't a necessarily a good idea, but that doesn't mean rehabilitating Hal shouldn't be worth considering. I was more responding to your next statement.

IMO that would be far less effective than a possible AM, Shazam, WW2, BoP, SS2 and The Batman line-up. WW2, BoP and SS2 are being prioritized because the first Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad managed to mint money thanks to serving to demographics who didn't see enough representation in DC's competitors (mainly women, Latino audiences and in a pre-Black Panther landscape, African-American audiences).

The Green Lantern fanbase is divided among the different Lanterns as is, so prioritizing investing resources into rehabilitating Hal's image on the big screen after his disastrous first outing doesn't seem worth the risk, especially as the straight white male superhero isn't really a cinematic novelty any more.
    That's once again reducing Hal to being just a straight white male (Marvel is still full of them, and people turn up to see them all the time) and holding up the poor adaptation as proof that he isn't worth the risk is a sore sport for Hal fans. It blames the character for the shitty product he was put in. Sorry, but as Hal fans, I and I imagine Johnny just get sick of all the excuses we hear that Hal shouldn't be used for a previous adaptation that wasn't his fault. If straight while male protagonists are not a novelty, why not put Batman on the back burner? He has more than enough media exposure, he can make cameos in the spin offgs, and the DCEU one isn't as widely embraced as he should be, and is more known for the "MARTHA!" meme than anything else. Meanwhile, re-introduce a new Hal alongside at least John, if not other Earth GLs.

That cannot realistically be proven. It was a success and even if it had been received well by critics, I don't think the increase would have been THAT much. Also, some aspects of the film that some people criticized about the film (the juggalo meets gangstah make-overs, the soundtrack populated with Top 40 artists etc.) proved to be VERY successful, especially among younger demographics.
    It cannot realistically be proven, but if I were WB common sense would dictate that I proceed with caution after seeing the 27% RT score and the steep second week drop. It had a killer marketing campaign that lead to the big box office opening, but said marketing also promised a lot of Joker, and well he had like 5 minutes of screen time. Casual audiences are not going to be fooled twice, and combined with JL bombing, if they see the DC logo they are not automatically going to trust it. Especially when paired with a sequel to a critically panned first movie. If I were WB, I'd move the film's greatest asset (Harley) into BOP like they are planning on doing, and find other avenues to provide POC representation like John as one of the GL leads, do something with characters like Vixen, Black Lightning, Blue Beetle, etc.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Suicide Squad made money due to Joker and Harley’s popularity, Will Smith’s star power, and yes a very good trailer. But the movie itself was pretty bad. I think the only way a sequel would generate anywhere near the level of hype as the first one is if the rumored debut of The Rock as Black Adam happens. I can see something along the lines of Waller realizing she needs a Superman level threat on her team and sending in the Squad to find Adam’s tomb. Maybe there’s another team like The Jihad or the Russian Suicide Squad also trying to find Black Adam.
    I've still only seem SS once, the weekend it came out lol.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Same. And while people enjoyed themselves, there were more then a few who loudly declared that it sucked. Most people I talk to only say they liked Harley and consider the rest of the movie just ok or outright terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That's once again reducing Hal to being just a straight white male (Marvel is still full of them, and people turn up to see them all the time) and holding up the poor adaptation as proof that he isn't worth the risk is a sore sport for Hal fans. It blames the character for the shitty product he was put in. Sorry, but as Hal fans, I and I imagine Johnny just get sick of all the excuses we hear that Hal shouldn't be used for a previous adaptation that wasn't his fault. If straight while male protagonists are not a novelty, why not put Batman on the back burner? He has more than enough media exposure, he can make cameos in the spin offgs, and the DCEU one isn't as widely embraced as he should be, and is more known for the "MARTHA!" meme than anything else. Meanwhile, re-introduce a new Hal alongside at least John, if not other Earth GLs.

I kinda liked SS. Wouldn't say I loved it or call it great, but I enjoyed it. I don't think it was the garbage a lot of people say it is. On top of all the money it made at the box office, it also brought in big money and sales in the home media market after the theaters. That's a bit of a sign that the box office numbers weren't a fluke and people actually liked it.

So I think SS2 will do good. You got a superstar in Will Smith, and his role was one of the bright spots of the first film. You got a money maker in Harley Quinn, who outside of the comics might be the most popular DC character after the trinity. And to me, Margot as Harley is worth the price of admission alone. And the sequel has a pretty good director that can tell a good story on film, that's the biggest difference to me, I think the movie itself will be better than the first.

I'm interested to see what Aquaman does. If it follows Dark Knight and WW and sticks to it's own world and does it's own thing, and if the visuals are as good as they're saying, I think it can be big.

Instead of the straight laced but cocky Hal, DC should take a swing at Kyle Rayner. He offers a bit of comedic relief though can remain very serious. He's a bit younger, can offer diversity, and it would avoid the Hal thing altogether.

I just don't think DC needs to avoids Hal. Regardless of the first film, he's still kind of the face of GL to the general public. I say go all out and throw in John and Guy and Kyle and Jessica and make like a Green Lantern Corps movie.

This is the one franchise where they don't have to avoid anybody in particular, and can introduce multiple characters at once. Hal by himself didn't make that movie crappy, if John or Kyle had been in it with the same creative team behind the camera we'd get a similar result. Prioritizing other projects over the GL property in general considering how it failed the first time around and how expensive it is, and how the DCEU brand is nowhere near strong enough to get the audience to trust them for GL Round 2, is one thing. Pointing out Hal specifically as a problem or being beyond redemption is always a strawman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Same. And while people enjoyed themselves, there were more then a few who loudly declared that it sucked. Most people I talk to only say they liked Harley and consider the rest of the movie just ok or outright terrible.
    I only saw the film once, as well.

That film should have been so much more with the cast and characters involved, imo.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I liked the Ace Chemical scene thought it was genuinely the best scene in the movie and it was a flashback...
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I only saw the film once, as well.

That film should have been so much more with the cast and characters involved, imo.
    I thought MR was good as Harley but when I feel like watching Suicide Squad I always end up preferring to watch one of the animated films over the live action one.

I think introducing multiple Earth Green Lanterns makes a whole lot of sense in the context of the DCEU. According to continuity, in the span of 4 years Earth has been invaded by Kryptonians, Parademons/Steppenwolf, and a powerful ancient sorceress. The Guardians would be fools to only assign one or two humans ti Earth. Give us all of them, or at least Hal, John and Jessica.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

As to the Green Lantern discussion, I think the best route, whoever the GL is, is to introduce them in a team up movie or have them as support in another character's movie and build up trust and interest before doing a proper GL film again. Right now the Green Lantern title is toxic to audiences and making another character instead of Hal won't change that - convince people you can make a good GL film first, then worry about the best GLs to put on the screen.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    As to the Green Lantern discussion, I think the best route, whoever the GL is, is to introduce them in a team up movie or have them as support in another character's movie and build up trust and interest before doing a proper GL film again. Right now the Green Lantern title is toxic to audiences and making another character instead of Hal won't change that - convince people you can make a good GL film first, then worry about the best GLs to put on the screen.
    lol. That's what I (unsolicited) suggested that kicked off this GL debate that's gotten heated.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    lol. That's what I (unsolicited) suggested that kicked off this GL debate that's gotten heated.
    Fans can't resist heated debates for some reason.