Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I'm kinda surprised he moved to DC, especially because Geoff Johns is still there, and he is one of the big names there, as their working relationship was awful back when Johns was working in Marvel. Hopefully DC will put him with some secondary characters to write (I'm really praying to all existing the Gods and Devils they wont think in giving Bendis something related to the JSA)

"Bendis leaving Marvel?"

"Marvel?"

"Yeah."

"Marvel, Marvel?"

"The Marvel. For DC."

"DC?"

"DC."

"DC Comics?"

"DC Comics."

"Whoa."

"Yeah."

Good luck, DC fans. Hopefully the editors reign him in like Marvel's should have.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

What will be interesting is seeing the writers Marvel will take chances on to fill the hole. We might get some really interesting books in the future
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Wow.

Marvel is so screwed now. He was the one big ticket name they had left.

So...Bendis on Batman?
    I wouldn't say he's a "big ticket" in the way that he used to be. His books just don't sell like they used to - even when they're great. It used to be a given that any Bendis book would be in the Top 20 and it hasn't been that way for a long time.

Still an incredible talent, though, so on that level it's a loss. I definitely feel crushed that he won't be continuing with The Defenders, Jessica Jones, or Spider-Man. He's been killing it on those books and it's a shame to have him leave those characters behind.

But as he said on his Twitter, change is good. If Marvel could survive Kirby leaving for DC, they'll surely survive Bendis' departure. I expected he'd go to DC at some point in his career - he's a comic fan. I can't imagine he hasn't dreamed for years about making the kind of imprint on those characters that he's made at Marvel.

So it's good for DC, good for Bendis, and I'm sure will ultimately be good for Marvel. Bendis is going to leave a vacuum that will have to be filled by other eager writers.

I've been wondering for awhile what a solo Miles book not penned by Bendis would be like and it seems like we'll find out soon enough. Exciting times!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I'm kinda surprised he moved to DC, especially because Geoff Johns is still there, and he is one of the big names there, as their working relationship was awful back when Johns was working in Marvel. Hopefully DC will put him with some secondary characters to write (I'm really praying to all existing the Gods and Devils they wont think in giving Bendis something related to the JSA)
    Bendis is going to be put on a big book. Either they'll launch something for him or they'll shift creative teams around to put him on something. You don't hire someone like Bendis with a multiyear exclusive to put him on some secondary characters.

(Of course who you find secondary and who DC finds secondary may be up to debate.)

BANNED

Talk about the face heel turn of the decade, Bendis defects to DC on an exclusive multi-year contract!

Bendis seemed untouchable at Marvel, he could write whatever he wanted, even when it didn't match continuity, that's a pretty sweat deal. How bad must things be at Marvel if he's now suddenly abandoning ship?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    "Bendis leaving Marvel?"

"Marvel?"

"Yeah."

"Marvel, Marvel?"

"The Marvel. For DC."

"DC?"

"DC."

"DC Comics?"

"DC Comics."

"Whoa."

"Yeah."

Good luck, DC fans. Hopefully the editors reign him in like Marvel's should have.
    That's the thing. A lot of Marvel fans are actually happy - maybe even giddy - about this news and a lot of DC fans have their heads in their hands.

BANNED

>Bendis leaves
    >Marvel loses Bendis
    >loses
    I...

We're FREE! FINALLY! YEEEEEES!

Tony's going to get his smile back! Hopefully Rhodey as well! WOO! Now all I need is for Ree-Ree to "disappear"...

Bad news for DC though. I really hope he doesn't write something like Question or Legion.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    I'm really curious if Marvel had any heads up and if they're waiting to reveal something or if Bendis just blindsided them. I imagine his contract with Marvel must be near its end and they had some suspicion when he wasn't signing back on.
    Unless there's been a huge falling out that no one was aware of, I would have to think Marvel knew. His contract is obviously close to being up so they would have been in the process of trying to renew. I know some people are not a fan of his work, but he seems to be a pretty stand up guy so I can't seeing him just leaving without giving them a heads up or a chance at a counter offer. Maybe the disbanding of the Marvel creative committee that works with the film side started this process. Maybe DC has more to offer on the non-comic side of the business. Who knows, maybe Marvel looked at the costs of making him exclusive and weighted that against his sales and decided not to renew his deal.
    We know he's always talked about writing Batman. I don't read any DC books, but know King is pretty locked in on the main Batman title, so maybe they give him Detective or create a new title for him. Wouldn't be surprised if he's first project would be with JRJr.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Bendis is going to be put on a big book. Either they'll launch something for him or they'll shift creative teams around to put him on something. You don't hire someone like Bendis with a multiyear exclusive to put him on some secondary characters.

(Of course who you find secondary and who DC finds secondary may be up to debate.)
    As long as he is not into something related to the JSA, it'll be ok.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    ...... I honestly feel bendis doesn't suit dcs verse and was better of with marvel. Then again he could take over from Snyderwho seems to have been channeling him in dialog at least.
    That's an insult to Snyder.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Who would be a good replacement on Spider-Man? I've thought for a while David Walker or G. Willow Wilson would be good.
    I think for Spider-Man they might go with Jason Reynolds his Miles Morales book was both was well received by both critics and fans and he has a good following with YA readers.

As for books like Iron Man and Defenders, it will probably Nick Spencer will probably take over, I don't think he has left Marvel and he is currently not writing any books.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 11-07-2017 at 08:29 AM.

I'm excited to see who replaces him on his Marvel books
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Maybe Detective Comics.

I don't think DC would be willing to take Tom King off of Batman, even for Bendis. He's a rising star, and DC's not going to want to do anything that might lead to him leaving for Marvel once his exclusivity is up.
    have you been reading Detective? no way DC will take James off the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    As long as he is not into something related to the JSA, it'll be ok.
    DC should be preparing to give the Shazam franchise a push.