Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Definitely not a fan of the art, but Northstar's personality is on point so I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

X-Factor #1 by Leah Williams and David Baldeón begins in July.
    Beaubier is right, Hope do love being the center of the attention.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Can't wait for another Sage cameo showcasing her problems in actually keeping track of who has entered Krakoa. Poor thing. Even the perfect Krakoan society still keeps some of its members struggling in low-end jobs I guess...
    Last edited by nandes; 07-03-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Not bad but I think Leah Williams has too many ideas in her head and needs to let the pages breathe more.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    I honestly don't get it. Lol

Like what kind of expectations were had?
    I had very little expectations, actually. Less so than any other DoX book that have been released already.
    Other than loathing the artist's work from way before he was announced on this book. I actually love the cast. So Leah's writing could have been a deciding factor.

I'm not here for Claremont-level exposition though, that takes up half the panel space of already awful art...

And quite frankly, it's no more criticism than was thrown at any of the other DoX books when they were announced, by other readers. To which the general response was:

"Chill...it's only the prev pages." ...and rightly so.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-03-2020 at 08:58 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

arent these old pics posted months ago?

I do like that this team is spontaneously assembled by Jean-Paul instead of being officially formed by the Quiet Council. I wonder what the other members' personal motivations for helping him are.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    arent these old pics posted months ago?
    They had BW and a few color preview pages sans text. These are the first pages with text.

In terms of the art I will reserve judgement until I see more, same in terms of the scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I had very little expectations, actually. Less so than any other DoX book that have been released already.
    Other than loathing the artist's work from way before he was announced on this book. I actually love the cast. So Leah's writing could have been a deciding factor.

I'm not here for Claremont-level exposition though, that takes up half the panel space of already awful art...

And quite frankly, it's no more criticism than was thrown at any of the other DoX books when they were announced, by other readers. To which the general response was:

"Chill...it's only the prev pages." ...and rightly so.
    I am in total agreement. I know it's only a few pages, but even before the preview I was super disappointed with this great cast getting this style of art. I've already lamented how the majority of X-books have such cartoony art. Humberto Ramos' style is my least favorite of the post-Madureira era and David Baldeon's work looks so much like it. I HATE this trend.

Now combined with the Claremontian dialogue and it's... pretty terrible. (Sorry Claremont, I can love your work but still acknowledge that it is now archaic!)

i got this on my pull list and was hesitant to pick this series up..

but preview looks terrible =/

Astonishing Member

I wasn't expecting much and I was still underwhelmed. Clunky dialogue, weak art, and a bench of characters I mostly don't care about. Hopefully the first arc can pull through and get me invested.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I wasn't expecting much and I was still underwhelmed. Clunky dialogue, weak art, and a bench of characters I mostly don't care about. Hopefully the first arc can pull through and get me invested.
    It’s the first few pages, so pure set up.

We’ll see how the meat of the story is.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

The wordiness of it doesn't really bother me. Like others have said, Northstar is pretty spot on in terms of character. Hopefully that translates to the rest of the cast.

The preview is good. A bit wordy but that's fine and no one (outside of the Proteus bit which is probably switched as people have mentioned) sounds OOC.

I don’t understand the negativity either. It’s just 3 pages but we’ve already learned something new about The Five/resurrection protocol and basically learned the reason right from the start why the X-Factor team will be needed and established. That’s a very good start imo, other series needed a few issues for that. I’m glad Leah jumps in quickly and doesn’t waste time. Plus Northstar’s characterization is very spot on.

Don’t see the problem with being ‘too wordy’ either; it was because it already explained why the resurrection can’t just happen easily, it wasn’t just pointless text. Besides all of Hickman’s writing has been very wordy so far, even Hellions was a little bit too. I think it’s maybe the positioning of the text because the bubbles take up half the panels…
    Be kind, it's FREE