Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is X-men name outdated?

https://www.newsarama.com/45468-marv...-outdated.html

Let's politely discuss & don't make it "rectangle thread" of the day.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

One vote here for a new inclusive name for X-people. Absolutely. I hate it when a X-Woman is called "X-Man".

I'd say "member of the X-Men" every time, but that's clunky. So I vote for the superior and gender-neutral, "X-Bubs."
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

No.
    What I dislike is when a woman prefers the word "actor" to "actress" for her profession.
    For me, "men" is just a neutral noun that often includes men and women. It's a convention.
    So, X-woman is fine too and makes sense.

In Spanish it is called "Patrulla-X", that is to say "X-Patrol", which is gender neutral and I think that it represents better the function of the X-Men than its authentic name.

The problem is, of course, the resemblance to Doom Patrol.

Astonishing Member

We do live in an era of heightened politicial correctness (and equally heightened backlash against it)...and as much as Marvel would want to ride that wave, I doubt that tampering with one of their biggest brands that they just got back is ever going to be on the cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get an 'X-Women' spin-off film at some point though, and that would be a good idea.

I personally don't think it is, but I understand why people can see it that way, I wouldn't like it if they changed the name but I wouldn't really cry about it if they named them something like X-Factor, a name already linked to them, it would bother me more if they invent an entire new name

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    In Spanish it is called "Patrulla-X", that is to say "X-Patrol", which is gender neutral and I think that it represents better the function of the X-Men than its authentic name.

The problem is, of course, the resemblance to Doom Patrol.
    That's in Spanish from Spain right? because I'm from Argentina and here it's "Hombres X" (X-men), X-Patrol doesn't sound bad but, and perhaps it is because of the usage of "patrulla" in here, I link that too much to a military/police group, and they are meant to be more than that

Quote Originally Posted by maxi_miceli View Post
    That's in Spanish from Spain right? because I'm from Argentina and here it's "Hombres X" (X-men), X-Patrol doesn't sound bad but, and perhaps it is because of the usage of "patrulla" in here, I link that too much to a military/police group, and they are meant to be more than that
    Yeah, it's Spanish from Spain. I like it a lot, although the paramilitary connotation also upsets me.

All-New Member

Yes, it's from Spain. I always liked the name of "Patrulla-X" for the official big tittle. Only when they release the second title, they start to use the X-Men. Nowadays we have a lot of "X-Men" and "Patrulla-X" titles.

And on the topic, I wouldn't mind if they change the "official name of the brand" to something more gender-inclusive; and by the way, X-Patrol sounds great to me!

Astonishing Member

I liked x-factor better

Doesn't matter people know X-Men as X-Men it's a brand name that sells and Disney will never walk away from money.

X-tra Power

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Yeah, it's Spanish from Spain. I like it a lot, although the paramilitary connotation also upsets me.
    I do not care much about the paramilitary implications because I think the X-Men fit that description a bit. In addition, it clearly differentiates them from "classic" superheroes like The Avengers. 90% of their time is devoted to confronting racist humans or playing police for other mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    90% of their time is devoted to confronting racist humans or playing police for other mutants.
    Yeah...and it's a pity. I missed when they did other things also.

Things get rebrand on occasion.If they say it necessary they could IHOP and KFC it and something like X-force or X-factor could work as part of a marketing push.

If I had to change the X-men I would go with X-force but there is no need to change X-men isn't gender specific