Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    goldenknight2018

Default Ethan Van Sciver blames wb for dc layoffs and only 1900 comic shops remain

Rise and Fall of DC Comics as we know it

Ethan Van Sciver blames wb for dc layoffs, Here’s everything he speaks concerning the film
    :
    “Decisions were made to have Joss Whedon come in and finish the movie. Joss Whedon didn’t like what he saw, apparently, and asked for close to $300 million from what I’ve heard. If you have better information about this, let me known, but he basically asked for an enormous, almost equal to the original production budget to reshoot and to finish Justice League. The Zack Snyder movie. [Whedon] made it into something else. The movie was a catastrophe. And it was an expensive catastrophe. It lost an awful lot of money.”

also says

“You have to imagine what spending close to $700 million on a movie and losing hundreds of millions of dollars on a movie can do to people, can do to their jobs. Shortly after, Diane [Nelson] took a break. Diane never came back. She announced she was staying gone. Geoff Johns, I think, also took some of the blame for the Justice League movie, and he lost his position there. Others at DC have who were involved with the Justice League movie also lost their jobs, lost their positions. The effects are still rippling.”
    and

That on top of the fact that the comic book industry is collapsing under the weight of apathy at this point. In 2016, there were 2306 comic book stores, now there are 1900. Comic book stores are closing down and going out of business at a startling and frightening right. Once we reach the critical mass of 1500 retailers, for companies like DC and Marvel to solicit their product to, it will no longer be viable. All during this collapse, DC and Marvel have employed price hikes, they have employed various gimmick scams. I mean I call them scams, that is what I think they are. A retailers job is to look at the product that they are being offered and then kind of decide based on what they know about their customer base, the people who come into their store and what they buy, how many copies of each one of these comic books that they should provide on their stands, for complete sell-through. Nobody wants to be stuck with this product, you know two weeks after its date it has gone cold. At this points comics are like bread, they have a sell-by date, and they go stale and people do not buy them when they go stale. That is the situation with comics now.
    https://cosmicbook.news/justice-leag...ure-dc-layoffs

https://heroichollywood.com/dc-comics-layoffs-justice-league

accordingly. that is probably there will continue further layoffs if WB and including DC squanders. there will be meeting on Thursday. there be more update.

DC previously lost Millions of Dollars not only DC But WB as well. because of too numerous titles like both regular and variant covers. variant covers are a loss of money and too many titles are a waste of money even too many Bat-titles. even 500 or it is 5000 dark knight variant covers?

in the past, there were 3000 comic shops and today only 1900 comic shops remain. what happens?

DC is eliminating complimentary digital copies of greatest of their comic books though will be experimenting among them toward greater-profile projects.

I hope WB And DC better act fast or DC will manage to bankruptcy court near the future.

is that why Titans and other titles canceled? because I read somewhere that says DC plans decline titles
    I could be wrong.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I don't exactly know why Van Sciver would know this sort of insider information, considering that he was merely a middle tier comic book artist when he worked for DC, but this rings true to me.

BANNED

They'd save a lot of lot of money if they'd transition some of their bigwigs over to Janitorial Services.

I'm very skeptical. Why would WB just agree to give Whedon an extra 300 million? To make back close to 700 million, the movie would've likely had to get 2.5 ish times that at the box office, so 1.75 billion. I highly doubt anyone thought that would happen. Wasn't it reported that the movie was budgeted at 250 million and reshots were an extra 50 million?
    Last edited by Lirica; 01-27-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    I'm very skeptical. Why would WB just agree to give Whedon an extra 300 million? To make back close to 700 million, the movie would've likely had to get 2.5 ish times that at the box office, so 1.75 billion. I highly doubt anyone thought that would happen. Wasn't it reported that the movie was budgeted at 250 million and reshots were an extra 50 million?
    Yeah, I don't believe for a minute that Whedon got $300 million. Apparantly, it's only what Van Sciver "heard."

This seems more like a fish story where with each retelling, the Joss Whedon budget gets bigger and bigger.

Anyway, here's Ethan Van Sciver's full statement. It's actually from his YouTube channel.

Van Sciver also thinks there will be layoffs on the creative end eventually as well.

What do you think of Van Sciver's comments in the video?

DC Comics cuts 3% of its staff, as the SJW converged Comics Biz continues its decline.

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 01-27-2019 at 04:38 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Yep. What Van Civer is saying here doesn't make any sense. I mean, anyone thinking of spending anywhere close to 700 million on a film should be given a pink slip immediately.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yep. What Van Civer is saying here doesn't make any sense. I mean, anyone thinking of spending anywhere close to 700 million on a film should be given a pink slip immediately.
    Maybe it doesn't make any sense because he has no idea what he's talking about and just spouts nonsense to his fans that'll buy into literally anything he says?

Astonishing Member

I'm guessing Whedon asked for an extra 50-100M for reshoots that put the over close to or over 300M. Guessing that's what Sciver meant to say.

van Sciver is currently at the forefront of Comicsgate, cozying up to white supremacists while working hard on telling a story wherein DC and Marvel are selling less comic books because there are slightly more women and people of color in them books these days. So, you know, maybe not a guy whose speculation is to be taken very seriously.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Isn't this the guy charging like $50 for a 48 page Battletoads comic?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    van Sciver is currently at the forefront of Comicsgate, cozying up to white supremacists while working hard on telling a story wherein DC and Marvel are selling less comic books because there are slightly more women and people of color in them books these days. So, you know, maybe not a guy whose speculation is to be taken very seriously.
    Yeah, why are we giving this joker any level of credibility? I mean, just looking at his YouTube channel (mostly bashing Star Wars and anyone who likes what Disney is doing with it), we get a guy who's more interested in stirring up trouble then meaningful analysis of factual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Isn't this the guy charging like $50 for a 48 page Battletoads comic?
    Yup. Plus shipping and handling. Pretty crappy deal. Marvel's Epic Collections/Complete Collections are a bit cheaper with way more content. Even my hundred buck Hawkeye omnibus (which I think was a bit overpriced) had a far better amount of bang for the buck (and I got it half off online in the first place).

And it's over two months late (the IndieGogo page estimated it would be out last November). If EVS is trying to show that he can compete with Marvel and DC, all he's showing is just how out of his depth he really is. Have to agree with the "SJW Spider-Man" guy on Twitter; EVS should knock off bullying Star Wars fans and LucasFilm employees and actually write the Frog comic he's been hired to do.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 01-27-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

This sounds like a Marvel propagandist's wet dream.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-27-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, why are we giving this joker any level of credibility? I mean, just looking at his YouTube channel (mostly bashing Star Wars and anyone who likes what Disney is doing with it), we get a guy who's more interested in stirring up trouble then meaningful analysis of factual events.

I used to love his art but after he started making white supremacist-like statements and told a comic reader to kill himself, I lost all respect and admiration for him. I haven't bought anything he's worked on since then. If he really wants to help the industry, he should be suggesting solutions instead of just gossiping and complaining.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I used to love his art but after he started making white supremacist-like statements and told a comic reader to kill himself, I lost all respect and admiration for him. I haven't bought anything he's worked on since then. If he really wants to help the industry, he should be suggesting solutions instead of just gossiping and complaining.
    Only thing I bought of his was a DC trade that turned out he drew for (no idea at the time and I really didn't know who he was then anyways). Still have the book (like the story and all), but I have avoided him since after he hooked up with Comicsgate (where I first heard about who he was) and saw the kind of person he was.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)