Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Donna Troy should be erased from existence.
    ...Or at least restored to the "Saved by Wonder Woman as a child and raised on Themyscira" origin & who only sparingly appears as a supporting character. No special powers but maybe just really good with weapons. The same goes for Artemis, who should be more like an anti-heroine for hire/adventurer with no real alliances except to herself.

Now, Cassie Sandsmark should just disappear. So should Jason and any notion of a "Wonder Family". Wonder Woman should have a regular supporting cast of characters that don't ALL need a double W on their chest to be helpful and heroic.

Sidekicks are derivative and redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    ...Or at least restored to the "Saved by Wonder Woman as a child and raised on Themyscira" origin & who only sparingly appears as a supporting character. No special powers but maybe just really good with weapons. The same goes for Artemis, who should be more like an anti-heroine for hire/adventurer with no real alliances except to herself.

Now, Cassie Sandsmark should just disappear. So should Jason and any notion of a "Wonder Family". Wonder Woman should have a regular supporting cast of characters that don't ALL need a double W on their chest to be helpful and heroic.

Sidekicks are derivative and redundant.
    By this logic Steve and Etta should go to since they're sidekicks as well. Or did you think they don't count because they don't wear a "W" on their chest?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    By this logic Steve and Etta should go to since they're sidekicks as well. Or did you think they don't count because they don't wear a "W" on their chest?
    I guess it all depends on how you broadly your define the word, but no, I wouldn't count Steve and Etta as "sidekicks". They are supporting characters, and yes, I see a distinction between the two.

Sidekicks are supporting characters, but not all supporting characters need to be sidekicks. Not everyone needs to "take up the mantle"...

Character and story progression are good things; as opposed to keeping everything static (like the main character never expanding to include others), which would get boring, fast, at this point.

Admittedly, this works for DC as a whole, as I have seen fans of many series want to toss aside characters from Robin to Lois Lane, to well, Artemis and Donna. Just to keep things at Diana and maybe Steve and Etta.

But hey, its just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I guess it all depends on how you broadly your define the word, but no, I wouldn't count Steve and Etta as "sidekicks". They are supporting characters, and yes, I see a distinction between the two.

Sidekicks are supporting characters, but not all supporting characters need to be sidekicks. Not everyone needs to "take up the mantle"...
    What mantle? No ones asking for Donna or Casssie or anyone else to become Wonder Woman.

What mantle? No ones asking for Donna or Casssie or anyone else to become Wonder Woman.
    I think it means follow the legacy. Like all the robins with Batman. A character cannot be a sidekick of someone they don't admire and learn from.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

An argument could be made for Etta, at least the Golden Age version (and she was the most awesome sidekick the DCU has ever seen. Seriously, Etta>all of the Robins).

Now, they don't fit the "sidekick" label anymore than Gordon, Alfred, Lois, Jimmy and Perry do.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    An argument could be made for Etta, at least the Golden Age version (and she was the most awesome sidekick the DCU has ever seen. Seriously, Etta>all of the Robins).

Now, they don't fit the "sidekick" label anymore than Gordon, Alfred, Lois, Jimmy and Perry do.
    If only they would use Etta as much as they do Alfred, Lois & Jimmy. She's Diana's best (non-superpowered) friend and should be the closest thing she has to a "sister" in Man's World.

Diana should just date nightwing. the alpha female and her young, fun, hot man candy .

Love as a motivation for Diana is a poor one. Typically because most writers don't know what love actually means.

"Love of everyone" is not a thing that exists. It's something people tell themselves that they have because it gives them a hit of that sweet, sweet self-righteousness. "I'm a good person, because I love all mankind." But it's also vague and unspecific enough to be functionally useless.

If you "love everyone", you're either inflating your own self-image or you don't know what love is.

Empathy for people in need is a much more important defining factor for being a good person, and it has nothing to do with love. You don't need to love someone to think that torturing them is unacceptable behavior. You don't need to love a group of people to think that slavery is wrong. You just need respect for basic human dignity.

In short, if a person thinks they need to love people to believe that they deserve to be treated like human beings, they're doing Good wrong. Likewise, it is not love the world needs. It is for people to respect each other as human beings.

And that is why love is bad motivation for Diana and why Aphrodite sucks as a patron. Well that and Aphrodite more embodies lust than love.

Genocide and Bizarro should date. Let their love wreak havoc.

The various Wonder doctors (Doctor Cyber, Doctor Psycho, Doctor Poison, Doctor Zeul, Doctor Barbara Minerva, Doctor Cue, Doctor Veronica Cale, and Chang Tzu) should open a secret, evil, private practice clinic together to treat supervillain injuries and other maladies, take advantage of their patients, and fight with insurance companies.

Mouse Man should be their receptionist and administrative assistant.

Jason is not a bad concept. The introduction could have been handled better, yes. But the Wonder Woman mythos kind of needed someone like Jason. Superman has Supergirl, Batman has Batgirl AND Batwoman, Martian Manhunter has Miss Martian, etc. But Diana hasn't really had that person of the opposite gender that could fill in for her like basically all of the other Big names do. And now she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Jason is not a bad concept. The introduction could have been handled better, yes. But the Wonder Woman mythos kind of needed someone like Jason. Superman has Supergirl, Batman has Batgirl AND Batwoman, Martian Manhunter has Miss Martian, etc. But Diana hasn't really had that person of the opposite gender that could fill in for her like basically all of the other Big names do. And now she does.
    Agreed. I'm trying very HARD to like Jason as an individual and especially as her twin, versus another male Wonder teammate, say like Achilles Warkiller.

The clay origin should be reinstated, and any writer trying to include a man in Diana's conception or childhood should be permanently barred from writing the character. (I'm cool with Hermes gifting speed and flight.)

Having Steve Trevor and Etta Candy in military, security, or espionage organisations lessens the opportunity to use them as characters in the modern day. They can have a background there, but should be free from any form of military chain of command in continuity stories.

Zeus should be developed into, if not an opponent, then a very irksome and problematic ally due to his entrenched misogyny. (In fact, all the gods and goddesses should be looked at critically by Diana.)

A Jason-like character, if needed (which I'm not sure it is) should be developed based on the male Olympians, not by intruding into Diana's backstory.

Gorillas and Ferdinand are silly.