Default Looks like the new TIE fighter comic uses yet another Disney trope *Spoilers*

The whole "Imperial defector" thing.

While of course this was present a bit in the old EU (Indeed, it's implied that several Rebel brass such as Dodonna and Madine were former Imperials, and Bigg's deleted scenes also had him defecting, and some popular EU characters such as Kyle Katarn and Tycho also had Imperial roots) it seems to show up a lot more in Disney's Star Wars.

Finn of course being the most famous example, but film-wise we've also had Bodhi Rook, Galen and (sort of) Han. (Although to be fair Han's imperial past was something Lucas had in mind from day one)

Rebels did with this Wren (well, her past) Kallus, and Wedge.

It's pretty much the entire plot of Battlefront II's single player campaign.

....and now this.

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-tie-fi...edi-plot-hole/
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Yeah it's getting a little tired by now I was hoping it would follow more along the storylines of the PC game where the main character is all in for the Empire. It's always interesting getting the opposing perspective.

iMan 42s

I hate this trope and even more that it keeps coming back.

The issue I take with the constant usage of the defector trope is that it robs us of the Empire's perspective on things. Nor does it allow us to view the reality that Imperials may have to turn on their own loved ones, the harsh reality of what is for all intents and purposes hunting terrorists and getting caught in the middle, and an Imperial even gaining context for the Old Republic. For many of them, they grew up after the Clone Wars concluded or during it. Especially for those growing up during the Clone Wars and enlisting to be like the heroes the Clones had been made out to be, what is that like? Outside of Kreel, is there anybody who had a positive experience being an Imperial?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Oh yeah one I forgot to add, Magna Tolvan from Doctor Aphra also has defected.

To be fair though the original TIE fighter game also had it's own share of things, as the Empire loses not one but two Admirals. Although only the first defects to the alliance, the second kind of wanted his own Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    Yeah it's getting a little tired by now I was hoping it would follow more along the storylines of the PC game where the main character is all in for the Empire. It's always interesting getting the opposing perspective.
    Yeah that's one of the things that bugged me about the new battlefront 2. If you market a game as an imperial perspective then you should make it that way. Otherwise it's just false advertising.

On a sidenote can we really call this a Disney trope since it happened in the EU?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I feel like the writers can't justify their characters for being on the empire outside of being totally evil.

I don't know I feel the Vader comic proves it can work with the right creative approach. I think a villain protagonist could be cool.

I just need the characters in the story to say the word "hope" 7-8 times. It's not a "Disney Star Wars" project without that
    theme bludgeoned into our skulls.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    Amen.

Disney really hates the idea of presenting characters that support the Imperials. It must always involve joining the Rebel scum.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Amen.

Disney really hates the idea of presenting characters that support the Imperials. It must always involve joining the Rebel scum.
    Star Wars has always been more absolutist. Dark vs. Light. Good. vs. Evil. So on ... to be surprised by that always strikes me odd.

I would counter that Disney is setting up a Star Wars universe with more middle ground than before. The Mandolorian, Rouge One, Solo, the Last Jedi, and perhaps IX.

I think you'll see that black and white trend dissipate more the longer Disney holds the franchise because it's just not viable. Star Wars is going to have to do more divergent and subversive and divisive ideas to survive as much more than a nostalgia trip.

When we do get villain-centric stories in SW, they tend to be tragic and sympathetic, a trope just as annoying as the good guy fighting for the wrong team.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It's older than Disney. Han Solo used for work for the Empire before defecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It's older than Disney. Han Solo used for work for the Empire before defecting.
    And Tycho. And Kyle. And Coran ... etcetera. That was kinda my point and someone else's ... it's not a Disney thing, but a Star Wars thing.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I kind of like how Zahn handled that there could be 'good' people in the Empire. Palleon and even Thrawn are sort of portrayed as somewhat sympathetic-they believe in the Empire's structure and promise, if not necessarily some of it's crueler methods, or are largely unaware of stuff like the Death Star (although Thrawn of course figured it out in the new novels).

In the new canon Thrawn novel it's clear Pryce is kind of the real villain as well. Vanto, in particular, is played as highly sympathetic.