Page 205 of 207 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207 LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 3103

I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread. I think the time is right for a bump. Today marks the first anniversary of this movie's release. I intend to re-watch it later today. In addition, I also used this occasion to launch my new YouTube channel, Jack's World. And wouldn't you know it? My first video has to do with Dark Phoenix and how it succeeded where X3 failed. It turned out to be longer than I anticipated, but I'm proud of the final product. Enjoy!

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread. I think the time is right for a bump. Today marks the first anniversary of this movie's release. I intend to re-watch it later today. In addition, I also used this occasion to launch my new YouTube channel, Jack's World. And wouldn't you know it? My first video has to do with Dark Phoenix and how it succeeded where X3 failed. It turned out to be longer than I anticipated, but I'm proud of the final product. Enjoy!

Wow, has it been a year already?! I'm so glad this came out last year, along with some other key movies and shows wrapping up, instead of this year, given the impact of the virus on the entertainment industry. I never really understood the hate for Dark Phoenix, other than it was predisposed, and people were intent on hating it. It was certainly no DOFP or X2, but it's far superior as a whole to the mess than was The Last Stand. Of course, the impact that the Jean vs. Xavier moment in TLS had probably tops any scene in the main X-Men movies that isn't DOFP, but it's not like Dark Phoenix didn't offer up some great scenes as well.

I agree with you about really liking the movie, and I have seen it numerous times. No, it was far from perfect, but I did enjoy it, we got to see Jean be really powerful and some semblance of the PF.

(Just a minor correction: you stated the original release date was for "November 14, 2019." That should have been 2018. The movie premiered June 03, 2019.)

The movie was crap. Fox messed up the the DPS twice. Criminal.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Wow, has it been a year already?! I'm so glad this came out last year, along with some other key movies and shows wrapping up, instead of this year, given the impact of the virus on the entertainment industry. I never really understood the hate for Dark Phoenix, other than it was predisposed, and people were intent on hating it. It was certainly no DOFP or X2, but it's far superior as a whole to the mess than was The Last Stand. Of course, the impact that the Jean vs. Xavier moment in TLS had probably tops any scene in the main X-Men movies that isn't DOFP, but it's not like Dark Phoenix didn't offer up some great scenes as well.
    Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it.

Like I said in the video, I think the hate for Dark Phoenix has less to do with the movie and more to do with peoples' mindset. I think most people decided to hate this movie before they ever saw it and they looked for any justification. And you can find flaws in every movie if you look hard enough. Just like Yogaflame, you can nitpick a movie to any extent to find a reason to hate it. They may claim otherwise, but I find it telling that they won't acknowledge the many things this movie did right, especially compared to X3.

It went into space.

It embraced the cosmic aspect of the Phoenix Force.

It focused on Jean and her struggles.

It got the Cyclops/Jean romance right.

Hell, it even got Dazzler involved.

It's not perfect. No movie is. But Dark Phoenix got a lot of things right and I think in time, it's value will be appreciated.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Dark Phoenix is the worst film in the Fox X-men saga, beat only by Wolverine Origins. Its an objectively bad film, made worse that it was a followup to Apocalypse which was terrible. When you have nowhere but to go up, its highly disapponting to release a followup that digs itself deeper in the hole

BANNED

Lord, this movie (and thread) should just be forgotten forever. It was horrible.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

the movie wasnt that bad. i liked it that focus on jean. it could been better. with psylocke instead of selene. with jubilee taking care of quiksilver. many losed opportunities
    we can be heroes, just for one day

The movie was absolutely terrible!

I am one of the few that paid to go see it and a year later I stll regret that decision!

Simon Kinberg clearly doesn't get the X-Men, or at the very least this story. This is his SECOND time butchering this Dark Phoenix saga.

1) Jean was given more screen time, but the character was still very underdeveloped. We never get a Phoenix saga so to skip right to the Dark Phoenix was woefully premature. The viewers never get a chance to care about Jean as Phoenix before having her go to the dark side so the emotional impact of the story is gutted. So we don't get to know her as Phoenix, but we really don't get to know her as Dark Phoenix either. As soon as she turns, we rush to the anticlamatic ending.

2) Mystique's death is wasted. To be clear, Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique is one of my least favorite characters in all of the X-Men movies. But for how they built her up, this death was half ass.

3) Kinberg's constant need to make Charles the bad guy takes away accountability from Jean. It's such an unnecessary plot devices. It's insane to think that Chuck couldn't help Jean deal with the loss of her father so he just decided to lie to her. It makes no sense and then when she finds out it pivots the story away from Jean and this awesome force inside her to the be about the bad guy teacher. So stupid.

4) The whole movie felt small. This is a story that could have taken us acoss the galaxy and yet we are stuck on a train. We couldn't even get a battle on the moon?? So ridiculous. Magento's Genosha was also an epic fail.

5) Under utilized cast. Storm, Quicksilver, Nightcrawler, Selene, Cyclops could have been anyone in this movie. They did nothing and could have been exchanged with anyone else and have the same emotional impact. Cyclops, at the very least, should have been a major supporting character in this story.

6) Vuk was such a forgettable villain, as were all of her crew with their plot device abilities that were never defined. It's like Kinberg saw Justice League and said, "I can make a more boring villain than Steppenwolf - Hold my beer!"

I saw the movie recently for the first time and had such low expectations that I came out relatively happy. The worst were the special effects, very low budget. For me is better than Apocalypse or Days of the Future Past.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I saw the movie recently for the first time and had such low expectations that I came out relatively happy. The worst were the special effects, very low budget. For me is better than Apocalypse or Days of the Future Past.
    Honestly same. Except for the DoFP part. The only downside it felt like a TV movie rather than a big budget production. But it's a really good character story centered on Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The movie was crap. Fox messed up the the DPS twice. Criminal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Dark Phoenix is the worst film in the Fox X-men saga, beat only by Wolverine Origins. Its an objectively bad film, made worse that it was a followup to Apocalypse which was terrible. When you have nowhere but to go up, its highly disapponting to release a followup that digs itself deeper in the hole
    Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    Lord, this movie (and thread) should just be forgotten forever. It was horrible.
    I stand by all of this. For me, the biggest insult is that the failure of Dark Phoenix means that the MCU will have a bigger hurdle to course correct and get viewers interested in seeing this story done right. Then again, most people didn't watch this film at all, if they were even aware of it, so maybe it won't be that hard to erase from people's minds after all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrocks View Post
    The movie was absolutely terrible!

I am one of the few that paid to go see it and a year later I stll regret that decision!

Simon Kinberg clearly doesn't get the X-Men, or at the very least this story. This is his SECOND time butchering this Dark Phoenix saga.

1) Jean was given more screen time, but the character was still very underdeveloped. We never get a Phoenix saga so to skip right to the Dark Phoenix was woefully premature. The viewers never get a chance to care about Jean as Phoenix before having her go to the dark side so the emotional impact of the story is gutted. So we don't get to know her as Phoenix, but we really don't get to know her as Dark Phoenix either. As soon as she turns, we rush to the anticlamatic ending.

2) Mystique's death is wasted. To be clear, Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique is one of my least favorite characters in all of the X-Men movies. But for how they built her up, this death was half ass.

3) Kinberg's constant need to make Charles the bad guy takes away accountability from Jean. It's such an unnecessary plot devices. It's insane to think that Chuck couldn't help Jean deal with the loss of her father so he just decided to lie to her. It makes no sense and then when she finds out it pivots the story away from Jean and this awesome force inside her to the be about the bad guy teacher. So stupid.

4) The whole movie felt small. This is a story that could have taken us acoss the galaxy and yet we are stuck on a train. We couldn't even get a battle on the moon?? So ridiculous. Magento's Genosha was also an epic fail.

5) Under utilized cast. Storm, Quicksilver, Nightcrawler, Selene, Cyclops could have been anyone in this movie. They did nothing and could have been exchanged with anyone else and have the same emotional impact. Cyclops, at the very least, should have been a major supporting character in this story.

6) Vuk was such a forgettable villain, as were all of her crew with their plot device abilities that were never defined. It's like Kinberg saw Justice League and said, "I can make a more boring villain than Steppenwolf - Hold my beer!"
    Agree on all points. Where is the like button, if you need it.

They needed at least two more movies with Jean and Cyclops getting a lot more development than they got in the two movies they appeared in. But that would have required the makers of the movies to not play "push the usual suspects in the X-Men movies"

One of the few good scenes was Magneto putting on his helmet and confronting Jean like "You can do nothing because I am immune to your Telepathy". Most funny scene in the movie^^

Ad regarding the OP I would say both movies did not work and Dark Phoenix even managed to compare unfavorable to the Last Stand. That is the only "sucess" the movie managed.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 06-08-2020 at 12:19 AM.

A lot of divergent views… More negative than positive, though…

I haven't seen it yet but, I suppose you need to have 'good humour'… It's certainly hard to compete with the comic.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    They needed at least two more movies with Jean and Cyclops getting a lot more development than they got in the two movies they appeared in. But that would have required the makers of the movies to not play "push the usual suspects in the X-Men movies".
    If I remember well, Claremont had said that he would have done two movies of DOFP…
    I rather liked it, myself, though…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe