Page 104 of 555 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post

It was never proven Robb was a really good commander, he won a couple of battles because "oh well, magic", and in the end Tywin had him pinned far from Kings Landing and had pretty much won, which is why Roose turned on him, since Robb was the losing horse.
    No.

The Boltons have hated the Starks for generations, since the Starks first pushed them from power in the North centuries before the arrival of the Targaryens. Roose saw a chance to seize power when Robb lost the support of the Karstarks by beheading their lord and the Frey's by breaking his marriage contract.

Every battle Robb won he did on merit, outmaneuvering his opponents time and again. One direwolf does not win a battle for you, let alone three battles.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Says a guy cheering for Jamie. Let's not forget who Jamie is.

Outside of Jon Snow and Tyrion, I'm not sure anyone in this show is actually good. Even Tyrion isn't the best human being.
    Well he won't be getting a big red S on his chest anytime soon, but that's not such's a bad thing

Daenerys is pretty good. She never kills purely for pleasure, and is motivated by a strong sense of justice for all.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

J
    Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    My predictions for 5.10:
    - Stannis leads his army to Winterfell, he probably wins here but Ramsey and/or Roose aka Count Dracula evade him.
    - Sansa tries to either escape on her own, signals Brienne, or tries to kill Ramsey. Possibly all three.
    - Arya kills Meryn Trant but is punished by the Faceless Men for disobeying their orders.
    - Tyrion, Jorah, Daario, and Grey Worm and Missendei free Rhaegal and Viserion and leave Meereen, possibly burning it to the ground on the way out.

MASSIVE BOOK SPOILERS THAT ARE LIKELY TO HAPPEN:
    spoilers:
    - Jon Snow is killed by members of the Night's Watch, likely Ollie.
    - Arya is blinded by the Faceless Men.
    - Cersei confesses and does her walk of shame through the city. Maybe the trial and the reveal of Robert Strong aka the Mountain aka Frankenstein's monster
    end of spoilers

Brett says...

spoilers:
    The minute Sam told Ollie that sometimes you have to do what's right even when others think it's wrong, I knew the words would come back to bite Jon in the ass

We know that Cerseis nude walk was filmed
    end of spoilers

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    No.

The Boltons have hated the Starks for generations, since the Starks first pushed them from power in the North centuries before the arrival of the Targaryens. Roose saw a chance to seize power when Robb lost the support of the Karstarks by beheading their lord and the Frey's by breaking his marriage contract.

Every battle Robb won he did on merit, outmaneuvering his opponents time and again. One direwolf does not win a battle for you, let alone three battles.
    I don't think historical hatred played a role, it seems to be more relevant to Ramsay since he gets caught up on that stuff more than Roose does, Roose isn't really that petty. He is just a smart guy and will back the winning side, when Robb lost the Freys, Roose knew Robb's days were numbered.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's just really silly to me that Jon and Sam both keep that Ollie kid around so much. Nobody sits the little bloke down and talks to him in length about what is really going on, leading him to just be confused and angry all the time. If you aren't going to explain to the kid that terrible shite is about to go down and it matters more than his personal woes, than don't have the kid serving your food unless you want to get Omar'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I don't think historical hatred played a role, it seems to be more relevant to Ramsay since he gets caught up on that stuff more than Roose does, Roose isn't really that petty. He is just a smart guy and will back the winning side, when Robb lost the Freys, Roose knew Robb's days were numbered.
    I wouldn't say Roose is all that smart. He is 100% petty and wanted to oust Ned Stark's son from the throne of the North.

Putting all his faith into his nutcase of a son isn't the smartest move either.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I wouldn't say Roose is all that smart. He is 100% petty and wanted to oust Ned Stark's son from the throne of the North.

Putting all his faith into his nutcase of a son isn't the smartest move either.
    His betrayal of Robb wasn't petty, it was strategic. Robb was going to lose and Roose didn't want to go down with him, his killing Robb was proof to Tywin and Walder Frey that Roose wasn't playing both sides. Other than thinking Robb was an idiot for breaking the Frey agreement, I always got the impression Roose respects Robb for his military skills, especially considering his age.

And Roose has some of the best intelligence, Ramsay is rash but effective.

His betrayal of Robb wasn't petty, it was strategic. Robb was going to lose and Roose didn't want to go down with him, his killing Robb was proof to Tywin and Walder Frey that Roose wasn't playing both sides. Other than thinking Robb was an idiot for breaking the Frey agreement, I always got the impression Roose respects Robb for his military skills, especially considering his age.

How are you so sure Robb would have lost? Roose Bolton and Walder Frey are what killed Robb's war. He was beating the hell out of the Lannisters and even had Jaime as a prisoner until his mother interfered.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

How are you so sure Robb would have lost? Roose Bolton and Walder Frey are what killed Robb's war. He was beating the hell out of the Lannisters and even had Jaime as a prisoner until his mother interfered.
    The only way Jon was going to win after losing the Karstarks, was with Walder Frey's support. Which Frey was not going to give. In comes Tywin with promises to elevate both Frey and Bolton, of course they made that deal.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yes, Roose has shown great smarts so far. He has the same kind of cold selfish personality as Tywin or Walder, but he's a smart guy. He's advanced his House some and he controls Ramsay enough.

If Roose falls, it won't be for any glaring strategic mistake.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yes, Roose has shown great smarts so far. He has the same kind of cold selfish personality as Tywin or Walder, but he's a smart guy. He's advanced his House some and he controls Ramsay enough.

If Roose falls, it won't be for any glaring strategic mistake.
    Leading theory is Ramsay will kill him. But for the show they think it will be Brienne or Sansa.

Because without the Frey's bridge he is trapped and vulnerable should Tywin advance, without the Freys backing him it let Tywin make alliances with them.

Robb breaking his vow to Walder Frey is the single reason he and Catelyn are dead.

Ultimate Member

Roose is smart in the same way that Tywin was smart. I agree about that much. But, like Tywin, I believe that Roose will make that one big mistake that will get him killed at some point. As for Ramsay, IDK. The writers seemingly love him and have given him massive amounts of plot-armor. So maybe he'll never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Roose is smart in the same way that Tywin was smart. I agree about that much. But, like Tywin, I believe that Roose will make that one big mistake that will get him killed at some point. As for Ramsay, IDK. The writers seemingly love him and have given him massive amounts of plot-armor. So maybe he'll never die.
    Tywin didn't make mistakes that got him killed? It's only because of Varys and Jaime that he's dead, and that's not something Tywin ever put in motion.

Tyrion openly hated Joffrey and was seen giving him the wine that killed him, anyone would find him guilty, made worse that he lost his trial by combat.

Ultimate Member

You have to drop the notions of "black" and "white", this show operates on more realism. Nobody is purely good or purely evil, in real life. Good people do bad things.

Jon Snow, is a very good person, but he still is a sworn knight of the Night's Watch and has to execute certain people to defend the realms of men.
    I think that people accept that. Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Margaery, Olenna, etc. None of them are "purely good," even Arya isn't by this point. But they all have their fans. But if you go too far with it, then you're left with a bunch of characters that practically no one can root for. For instance, now the Stannis vs. Boltons conflics is between:

-The Bolton's-Who are vile rapists/murderers who like to flay people alive.
    -Stannis-A religious nutcase (on the show, less so in the books) who burns people alive for crazy reasons, including his own sweet, innocent daughter.

It's kind of hard to care who wins this now, I kind of want them ALL to die at this point.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    There were severely outnumbered. It seem like half the stadium had a mask on. I think almost every death consisted of more than one person attacking one.
    Plus, they dont seem to be good at close quarter combat and this battle was very close combat.
    Dont really know why they keep running around with a spear. They need something smaller.
    Yeah, like short swords/daggers. Those seem much more appropriate for this kind of fighting. And given how this keeps happening, you'd think that someone would have realized that by now.