Page 97 of 171 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2556

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s got a very Morrison-like view of DC and Marvel which is not surprising, although I actually would put DC and Marvel on the opposite sides of order and chaos as opposed to Ewing. I might need to check out Mantlo’s Hulk run, I don’t know if I’ve ever read it. Really interesting analysis of Hulk as a counterculture figure.
    To be honest, Bill Mantlo''s run had it's ups and downs, but it turned out to be both an interesting character study on Banner and Hulk.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Fantastic Member

For anyone interested.

Untitled.jpg

Personally i am glad the 2 talked about it, i was worried that the 2 books might end up contradicting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    For anyone interested.

Untitled.jpg

Personally i am glad the 2 talked about it, i was worried that the 2 books might end up contradicting each other.
    It's nice that they've spoken on the subject in order to keep the MU continuity cohesive. Whether it actually happens, remains to be seen. One of the biggest issues about the MU in the past is that during big story events concerning timelines, Hulk's potential future has been consistently overlooked with underwhelming stories that don't jibe well with the stories within his solo books. However, Marvel has touched on it in Hulk related books about his potential destiny for rulership.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    It's nice that they've spoken on the subject in order to keep the MU continuity cohesive. Whether it actually happens, remains to be seen. One of the biggest issues about the MU in the past is that during big story events concerning timelines, Hulk's potential future has been consistently overlooked with underwhelming stories that don't jibe well with the stories within his solo books. However, Marvel has touched on it in Hulk related books about his potential destiny for rulership.
    Yea hopefully Waid makes some kind of reference to it in future books and even though Ewing spoke to him about it, i personally don't trust Waid. He never used to his research when he wrote the Hulk which is why he had so much problems writing him and eventually quit because of it.

Hopefully he doesn't screw things up this time around. Inconsistency's always bothered me and there's plenty of those in comic books....

Not a fan of Waid. Didn't like armored Indestructible Hulk. Rather he just stay on the others side of the gamma fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    Yea hopefully Waid makes some kind of reference to it in future books and even though Ewing spoke to him about it, i personally don't trust Waid. He never used to his research when he wrote the Hulk which is why he had so much problems writing him and eventually quit because of it.

Hopefully he doesn't screw things up this time around. Inconsistency's always bothered me and there's plenty of those in comic books....
    Mark Waid's Hulk run was one of the worst in Hulk's history. I think part of the problem was that the MCU influenced his run too much, and he doesn't strike me as a fan of the character at all. Marvel Comics has ruined many great Hulk runs trying to sell fans a Hulk that has never resonated well. The animal-like non-speaking Hulk from Kenneth Johnson's 'The Incredible Hulk' television show has seen his day. It worked once. The idea has killed Peter David's and Greg Pak's tremendous exceptional additions to the Hulk's comic book lore.

Hopefully he will respect Al Ewing's wishes considering the two have worked together before.

I do think an animalistic primordial Hulk *could* work today. But you have to swing it.

The big problem with Waid's Hulk (and Aaron's) is that they just slapped them down apropos of nothing. It be like if Pak went from Tempus Fugit directly into the Green Scar without visiting Sakaar or if Ewing wrote the first issue of Immortal Hulk directly after Mantlo's.

Hulk's flexible, but characterization shouldn't pop outta nowhere. And the Banner Hulk dynamic should fit the tone of the book.
    Last edited by Ptrvc; 07-24-2019 at 11:55 AM.

The stories and characterizations definitely need to flow smoothly into each other

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Excellent question, Subzero89! I guess we will see something. The very fact they talked about it means a lot, imo.

Btw, yeah, Waid's run is abominable, and he is not a fan of the character; I believe he said so in one of the very first interviews about indestructible Hulk.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Al Ewing Writes Comics
    @Al_Ewing

Just saw the cover to IMMORTAL HULK #26 - I don't want to reveal it before its due time, but it is AMAZING. #27, too.
    @thealexrossart

https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/...115617792?s=20

Awesome!

Fantastic Member

Yea i hated Waids Indestructible Hulk run too. I think he missed the character completely and it was obvious he wasn't a big fan of Hulk. Actually since Pak left Hulk in 2011, we have had some crappy series. I hated the most Aarons take on Hulk that was just atrocious with some of the worst artwork i have EVER seen. Wasn't a big fan of Doc Green either.

I feel so lucky that we finally got a writer that actually respects Hulks lore a lot and is quite knowledgeable about the character. Couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see who we get in the future, it's likely going to be Cates since he expressed a desire to write the Hulk, but even though he is an exclusively DC guy i kinda wanna see Snyder do his Hulk story that he already has planned out, it's supposedly also a horror story it was called Hulk: Smash everything IIRC.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Excellent question, Subzero89! I guess we will see something. The very fact they talked about it means a lot, imo.

Btw, yeah, Waid's run is abominable, and he is not a fan of the character; I believe he said so in one of the very first interviews about indestructible Hulk.
    To be fair he was being harrassed by Hulk fans more so than any other writer maybe even Jones.

It was am interesting idea if flawed. Remember writers take jobs sometimes as favors to editors when no one wants to write a character. Look at how PAD got his start.

The MCU angle just screams to me editorial especially when its clear the writer is frustrated.

I think Aaron got better treatment and he made Bruce a villain. Of course he ended up getting that later with his Thor run.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    To be fair he was being harrassed by Hulk fans more so than any other writer maybe even Jones.

It was am interesting idea if flawed. Remember writers take jobs sometimes as favors to editors when no one wants to write a character. Look at how PAD got his start.

The MCU angle just screams to me editorial especially when its clear the writer is frustrated.

I think Aaron got better treatment and he made Bruce a villain. Of course he ended up getting that later with his Thor run.
    He was and while i don't condone people sending him hate, most people were actually telling him the things he got wrong about Hulk which frustrated him. But that's the problem he didn't do his research on the character properly.

The idea was actually interesting but it took him too much time to develop and expand on it, people were getting bored fairly quickly of a mostly silent Hulk, they were looking for some character, some dynamic between him and Banner.

I think Jason Aaron got a lot of **** as well but people gotta remember the social media wasn't as present back then as it is now, i would argue that the leap between 2011 to 2012/2013 alone was pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post

Was it harassment or was it just a lot of criticism? I don't Twitter or Facebook.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Was it harassment or was it just a lot of criticism? I don't Twitter or Facebook.
    He probably got some harassment i mean it's the internet... but i actually remember reading his Indestructible Hulk then and the things he most complained about were people pointing out certain inaccuracies in his run, which happens when you really don't spend the time to read up on Hulks history. He also had weird ideas he tried to justify in dumb ways... like when Banner got shot and he had Hulk run around with an open skull, everyone pointed out to him, shouldn't Hulk heal from it but he said well even broken bones need to be placed properly otherwise they will heal incorrectly... which is like what??? That's not how Hulks healing works... Worse yet is PAD did this same idea when Banner got hit by a bomb and had shrapnel stuck in his brain and because of that shrapnel still being in his brain Hulk was a bit crazy, but then again i doubt Waid ever read that story. When everyone was asking him to show "Green Scar" or as some called him "Gladiator" Hulk, he took it literally and showed Hulk in a traditional gladiator armor acting completely oppositely of Green Scar lol.