Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Yeah, I had to be told that Kitty and Rachel both had a boyfriends...
    Ex-Boyfriends who never held the same bond and connection that Kitty and Rachel have.

Even when the Phoenix forced Rachel to bed Korvus like a bunny during mating season I'm sure Rachel wished it had been Kitty.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Oh god.

What was Claremont thinking with the whole "18-year-old to 13-year-old" thing and every X-Men thinking that was ok. Yeah, Metanix established them as friends but that should have been the turning point of Kitty and every writer putting her in OOC hetero relationships.
    Also, what if, to throw everyone off, Marvel puts Rachel and Illyana together?
    Colossus was an innocent and naive man so that mitigates it a little, but yeah, the age gap was alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    What were Joss Whedon and Marvel thinking when they "course-corrected" on their breakup and decided they were starcrossed lovers after all.
    It's okay if you don't like Colossus. We all have our favorites and our not-so-favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    With Franklin it's also important to remember he was quite a bit older than Rachel as a teenager. It was much like the Kitty and Colossus age range which people come down pretty hard on now, even though Kitty was the clear aggressor there.

Rachel's other romantic male parings include an unrequited interest from Alistaire Stuart (in a triangle with Kitty no less), an intense mutual attraction to Rory Campbell (whose future self severely abused Rachel in her youth, so fucked up!), a brief flirtation with Nightcrawler (EW!), dancing with her hot cousin (STOP!) and finally a creepy date-rapey co-dependent Phoenix addiction based coupling with Korvus and his Giant Sword (WHYYYYYY?). To call this a toxic dating history would be an understatement.

I think we can all agree full lesbo is the best way forward.
    I didn't know there was that big of an age gap between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Odd since that's common knowledge not anything secret, but being straight until proven otherwise is the norm, it's not terrible(as both have been shown to be straight several times over so there was no uncertainty to either)...in my entire life I've only known one openly gay person out of the thousands that I've met...
    Well, I'm sorry for you then. But what I'm trying to say here is: Kitty and Rachel(or Illyana btw) as a couple totally makes sense. They have chemistry, a great connection, subtext, and even their creator thought about them like that, and so does many people. If one of them was a male character, I'm sure they would have been together already, and it's a shame that they didn't and probably never will because since the moment they were created they were somehow established as straight for no much reason other than that being the default for every character.

Well, if Bobby can come out than why not Kitty and Rachel as at least bi?

I mean, being bi is another way to differentiate Rachel from Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Well, if Bobby can come out than why not Kitty and Rachel as at least bi?

I mean, being bi is another way to differentiate Rachel from Jean.
    Personally I'd prefer Kitty as bi and Rachel as lesbian. Cause Kitty romantic life(with guys) is still relevant to her character and I'd rather not have that changed. Don't feel the same about Rachel really.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Personally I'd prefer Kitty as bi and Rachel as lesbian. Cause Kitty romantic life(with guys) is still relevant to her character and I'd rather not have that changed. Don't feel the same about Rachel really.
    I'd be fine with this actually.

Why can't they just be close friends? Why does everyone want to turn it romantic? It feels like in a lot of media if people are close they want to attach a romance to it. Kitty has been in a romance in every series she has been in it feels like and most have been bad. She needs a break. I'd rather see their friendship strengthen and grow rather than a romance that will die out because it is comics and that always happens.

Kitty is 24. Kurt will be 31. Collosus is 29. That's what I think the ages of those 3 are. Have no idea what age Rachel is.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Why can't they just be close friends? Why does everyone want to turn it romantic? It feels like in a lot of media if people are close they want to attach a romance to it. Kitty has been in a romance in every series she has been in it feels like and most have been bad. She needs a break. I'd rather see their friendship strengthen and grow rather than a romance that will die out because it is comics and that always happens.
    Because some of us like to project from ourselves. Part of the reason why I can't stand the shipping fandom. I don't hate character relationships but there are times when it becomes unbearable.
    Last edited by 244; 02-14-2017 at 01:03 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Kitty is 24. Kurt will be 31. Collosus is 29. That's what I think the ages of those 3 are. Have no idea what age Rachel is.
    I'd say that Kitty is like 21 and both Colossus and Kurt are more than 31, years ago Kurt had to have been already well into his twenties when Kitty first showed up at the very least, after all they had Emma as only being 29 and remember that Cannonball and the rest of the New Mutants are all at least 21 and others like Siryn is about the same age as Rogue...

Rachel and Kitty were thought to be straight when they were created because otherwise it would have been stated or shown that they weren't, most characters now if they're not straight it's revealed upfront, and both Rachel and Kitty have a long history of dating guys with only light maybe's about anything else, Illyana would be the easiest of the three but I don't see romance of any kind really for her anytime soon as that doesn't seem to be a big part of who her character is. I think that part of Rachel's bad relationship history is that she started out so young and then was used so sparingly over the years that she didn't get enough time to actually have a true relationship that lasted longer than a few issues...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Though back during their time CC and such had many of the characters with fluid sexuality at times or at least had things happen that could be construed in more than one way, though I'd say that Rachel and Kitty are both straight as far as I can tell...
    Keep in mind the scene I posted above wasn't written by Chris Claremont at all.

Of course, this one was written by Claremont and is about as subtle as a sledgehammer:

Cake Scene.jpg

Here is an editorial exploring some of this

In all scenes of Rachel and Kitty – X-Men/Alpha Flight #1-2, Uncanny X-Men #188-207, most issues of Excalibur – the two young women touch each other. A lot. They stand closely, they link arms, they hold hands. When Kitty’s life is threatened in Uncanny X-Men #196, Rachel knows it through a hitherto-unmentioned psychic bond she has with Kitty. Rachel goes berserk and nearly murders a man for Kitty’s sake. The running gag in early issues of Excalibur is that any time Kitty gets injured in a fight, Rachel goes nuts, sacrificing everything to save her friend.

These scenes were written under the Comics Code Authority. Structured to be much like the Hays and Breen codes governing movies, the CCA prohibited depictions of sexuality in comics:

“2. Illicit sex relations are neither to be hinted at or portrayed. Violent love scenes as well as sexual abnormalities are unacceptable.
    […]
    5. Passion or romantic interest shall never be treated in such a way as to stimulate the lower and baser emotions.
    6. Seduction and rape shall never be shown or suggested.
    7. Sex perversion or any inference to same is strictly forbidden.”
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Keep in mind the scene I posted above wasn't written by Chris Claremont at all.

Of course, this one was written by Claremont and is about as subtle as a sledgehammer:

Cake Scene.jpg

Here is an editorial exploring some of this
    I haven't read most of this thread, but I saw this post and wanted to comment.
    I find most of Claremont's women could go "either way".
    I'm sure this has probably been discussed over and over again, but I wanted to comment because I noticed it, too.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

It's hard for me to think of Kitty as bi.

But do not have the same problem with Rachel and can not explain the reason .

Magik on the other hand already had a story in SW so everything is possible:

SW IxL.jpg

I still have hopes of seeing Jubilee with Laura.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    He literally made them a couple (with kids!) in The End.
    Uh, no. Rachel was Kitty's campaign manager when she ran for Mayor of Chicago. Kitty's kids don't turn up until the epilogue, after Rachel has ascended to a higher plane of existence with Scott, Jean, Xavier, Magneto, et al. We never learn who the kids' father/other parent is.