Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Default Thor #5. Spoilerific review.

Thor #5. Where Aaron explains to his critics that they're wrong. At length.
    And Odin goes for bros before ho's.

The comic opens with Odin in Asgard, who is furious that Thor's hammer has been picked up by a woman unknown, who is also using Thor's name. He believes it is stealing Thor's birthright. Thor protests that he gave her the name, but Odin is not mollified, and stomps off.

Next we move to NYC, where new Thor intervenes in an Absorbing man and Titania's robbery. Again the topic of Thor's name, and sexism comes up. Thor breaks his jaw, then Titania throws the fight as an expression of girlpower and feminist solidarity. She even goes to jail voluntarily because new Thor is so awesome. (I'm not making this up.)

Back to Asgard, where Odin brings in his new Minister for Enforcing Stuff. It's Cul Borson, his brother; a serious, moustache twirling villain of old who Odin believes is reformed because they've been on a boy's trip camping for a few months in old Asgard. Cul couldn't look more evil, as befits a character who's name is French for arse. (That's always amused me.). Freya disagrees, and says Arse/Cul's appointment has to be approved by the council of worlds. Odin stomps off again.

There's a nice scene between Thor Odinson and Sif in what looks like Asgard's best pub. They decide they're too alike for a relationship to work, despite the love. She's drunk, and a bit belligerent and really ticked off when she realises that he's not come to talk to her, but to find out if she's the hammer wielder.

Shift to the moon, where Freya comes to warn new Thor of dark times ahead; what with Malekith, Cul, and Odin's intransigence. Thor makes a vow, not to be worthy of Mjolnir which Freya seems to see as a fickle, unreliable thing; but to live up to the name.

Back to Asgard, where Odin pulls out the Destroyer to go after Thor and Mjolnir.

Review: (rant alert)
    I can appreciate that it's hard for writers of today in terms of how much negativity their stories instantly get on the internet. And they may strongly disagree with angry fans, and want to give their side of the story. I just hate when they bring those arguments into the actual comics. A lot of this comic was Aaron preaching from his soapbox about feminism, and why it's fine that this female Thor gets the old Thor's name.
    I actually have been enjoying this run. I like this new woman, I've been enjoying hammer less Odinson, and the politics between Freya and Odin, and I agree with most of what Aaron was saying. Even so, being lectured on why he's right in the middle of the story annoyed me. If I was one of the readers who doesn't like the idea of Thor losing his name then I'd be seriously pissed off about being talked down to.
    Rick Remender did exactly the same thing after the furore about Havok's infamous speech, and it infuriated me. It just feels like an abuse of an author's privilege to me. I wish they'd defend their position in interviews or on their own websites, and leave the comic pages for actual stories.

If you take out the preachy bits, it's actually a decent comic. The fight is a washout, but the Asgardian family dynamics and politics are very interesting. And I loved the scene between Thor and Sif, which was funny, and beautifully judged. Freya becomes more interesting by the issue.

Art wise: Following on after Dauterman is a horrible job, because he has been outrageously, spectacularly good. Mollina is a fine artist, (and I like his work anyway) and does a good job. I think his style is a little too pared back for the Asgardian characters, but he does some lovely facial expressions, and the NYC scenes are great. He's just not Dautermann.

So what do you all think. Am I being excessively grumpy, (possible) or would this have been a much better comic if Aaron had left out the meta justifications, and just told his story? I'm giving it 3/5.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 02-13-2015 at 09:16 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

It's probably just because I agree with Jason Aaron, but I loved the fight with Absorbing Man. The fight (or lack there of) with Titania was a real disappointment though. I can buy Crusher Creel as a raging misogynist, but since when has Titania been about girl power? She picks fights with She-Hulk all the time, and She-Hulk is one of Marvel's most girl power characters out there.

Since Cul is Odin's older brother, son of Bor, if Cul is really rehabilitated, isn't he the rightful Lord of Asgard?

In another era, I would suspect Odin has been replaced by Mangog, again.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelousmetalmouse View Post
    It's probably just because I agree with Jason Aaron, but I loved the fight with Absorbing Man. The fight (or lack there of) with Titania was a real disappointment though. I can buy Crusher Creel as a raging misogynist, but since when has Titania been about girl power? She picks fights with She-Hulk all the time, and She-Hulk is one of Marvel's most girl power characters out there.
    It would been more in character if Titania had slugged Creel for being a sexist pig, and then the ladies had at each other. Same basic message, but much less preachy.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 02-11-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

Okay, so why is the new thor hanging out on the moon so much? has she had any time to go back to her civilian identity (whatever it is?)

Astonishing Member

I'm just going to copy and paste my quote from the previous thread.

LOL, the absorbing man quotes were hilarious, it was like his lines came straight from the comic book forums. I loved it, especially when he got knocked out in the end hahahaha.
    I love the fact that they brought in how these folks talk, because it really helps emphasis how stupid they sound, and the knocking the guy out cement this comic for me for as long as he's writing it.

Fantastic Member

I think this issue may have been it for me. It's bizarre just how wildly everyone's characters have shifted from last series to this one, even with the same writer. Basically, everyone except for Freya and the new Thor are complete dicks, which would be okay if they were at least entertaining also, but they are very dull, droll buffoons.

And the main character herself still has virtually 0 character development (other than the annoying continuation of her speaking in old english and thinking in modern). Even if you ignore his soapboxing, it feels like Aaron just doesn't have much of an idea where to take things.

BANNED

Another great issue. Some of the girl power stuff was little on the preachy side, sure, but not nearly enough to detract from my enjoyment. I love how steamed Odin is and how he's bent on taking the hammer away from new Thor. I also loved the scene between Odinson and Sif and his list of suspects. Aaron is really killing it on this book.

I'm disappointed in Titania, not very "girl power" when you throw the fight and shes a criminal who beats people up because she can.

Wasn't Cul the Serpent during Fear Itself, everybodies gonna get angry at Odin, maybe this is what leads into King Thor?

It's strange to me that this female Thor is so divisive. I loved Aaron's previous run, and I'm still loving the current run. Sales are also way up compared to the previous run, too, so this run definitely has more fans than detractors.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post

I can appreciate that it's hard for writers of today in terms of how much negativity their stories instantly get on the internet. And they may strongly disagree with angry fans, and want to give their side of the story. I just hate when they bring those arguments into the actual comics. A lot of this comic was Aaron preaching from his soapbox about feminism, and why it's fine that this female Thor gets the old Thor's name.

I've gotten used to seeing this from Aaron. It probably goes unnoticed by most people who read Thor (especially the God of Thunder series) but Aaron has a way of expressing his opinion on the belief in gods or a god, or having in his writings somewhat satirical representations of people of faith. I can take being mocked but it's very disappointing to think that I'm actually paying money to be mocked. I get through those tougher parts, either with a roll of my eyes and a sometimes a deep sigh, because Aaron is still a good storyteller and I like the characters. I would be happier if I didn't have to endure it in something that I spend my hard earned money on.

With Thor #5, I chuckled a little at the dialogue. I knew what Aaron was doing. It felt awkward but to be honest I think some people out there could stand to benefit from seeing some of those justifications. My biggest problem with issue #5 is the fact that it felt more like a throw-away issue to me. I was so looking forward to this one because I thought I was going to get a chance to see Lady Thor settle down and be explored more. Instead it still seemed to focus more on the circumstances surrounding her. I wouldn't mind a little quiet time with her - no fighting or hammer time required.

Another thing that bugged me, and it was a BIG bug, was how Lady Thor's personality didn't match what I had been seeing in previous issues. I liked her when she was a little unsure of herself and determined to prove her own self-doubts wrong, but in this issue she almost felt over confident and even cocky. I HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE that was just an aberration. I have been enjoying this book immensely and I was in love with Lady Thor up until today. I hope things get a lot better in the next issue. I'll give it a 2/5.

And finally, I want Dauterman back. I would also really like to know what Ribic is doing right now. Can we please get him to draw a few of these Thor books for old time sake?

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

The issue was alright. I found it to be the weakest so far in this series.

Pros:

- Odin: My favorite character in this series! Yeah, he's a douche but I love his lines. His declarations are hilarious
    - Thor (Real Thor) and Freya: I love the interaction between Mother and Son.
    - Absorbing Man: Funny speech. I agreed with some of his points

Cons:
    - New Thor: Starting to lose interest. I found her bland this issue
    - Titania: I'm sorry but what the hell was that? 'I'm giving up because you're a woman'
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-11-2015 at 10:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    And Odin goes for bros before ho's.

spoilers:
    The comic opens with Odin in Asgard, who is furious that Thor's hammer has been picked up by a woman unknown, who is also using Thor's name. He believes it is stealing Thor's birthright. Thor protests that he gave her the name, but Odin is not mollified, and stomps off.

Next we move to NYC, where new Thor intervenes in an Absorbing man and Titania's robbery. Again the topic of Thor's name, and sexism comes up. Thor breaks his jaw, then Titania throws the fight as an expression of girlpower and feminist solidarity. She even goes to jail voluntarily because new Thor is so awesome. (I'm not making this up.)

Back to Asgard, where Odin brings in his new Minister for Enforcing Stuff. It's Cul Borson, his brother; a serious, moustache twirling villain of old who Odin believes is reformed because they've been on a boy's trip camping for a few months in old Asgard. Cul couldn't look more evil, as befits a character who's name is French for arse. (That's always amused me.). Freya disagrees, and says Arse/Cul's appointment has to be approved by the council of worlds. Odin stomps off again.

There's a nice scene between Thor Odinson and Sif in what looks like Asgard's best pub. They decide they're too alike for a relationship to work, despite the love. She's drunk, and a bit belligerent and really ticked off when she realises that he's not come to talk to her, but to find out if she's the hammer wielder.

Shift to the moon, where Freya comes to warn new Thor of dark times ahead; what with Malekith, Cul, and Odin's intransigence. Thor makes a vow, not to be worthy of Mjolnir which Freya seems to see as a fickle, unreliable thing; but to live up to the name.

Back to Asgard, where Odin pulls out the Destroyer to go after Thor and Mjolnir.
    end of spoilers

I actually have been enjoying this run. I like this new woman, I've been enjoying hammer less Odinson, and the politics between Freya and Odin, and I agree with most of what Aaron was saying. Even so, being lectured on why he's right in the middle of the story annoyed me. If I was one of the readers who doesn't like the idea of Thor losing his name then I'd be seriously pissed off about being talked down to.
    Rick Remender did exactly the same thing after the furore about Havok's infamous speech, and it infuriated me. It just feels like an abuse of an author's privilege to me. I wish they'd defend their position in interviews or on their own websites, and leave the comic pages for actual stories.

If you take out the preachy bits, it's actually a decent comic. The fight is a washout, but the Asgardian family dynamics and politics are very interesting. And I loved the scene between Thor and Sif, which was funny, and beautifully judged. Freya becomes more interesting by the issue.

Art wise: Following on after Dauterman is a horrible job, because he has been outrageously, spectacularly good. Mollina is a fine artist, (and I like his work anyway) and does a good job. I think his style is a little too pared back for the Asgardian characters, but he does some lovely facial expressions, and the NYC scenes are great. He's just not Dautermann.

So what do you all think. Am I being excessively grumpy, (possible) or would this have been a much better comic if Aaron had left out the meta justifications, and just told his story? I'm giving it 3/5.
    I agree with the "preachiness" of the the earlier dialogue in the book.

Johns did the same thing in his early Aquaman work and it became grating after a while.

I don't like Odin's depiction here at all. Odin is a pretty tough guy but when did he become so despotic?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I've gotten used to seeing this from Aaron. It probably goes unnoticed by most people who read Thor (especially the God of Thunder series) but Aaron has a way of expressing his opinion on the belief in gods or a god, or having in his writings somewhat satirical representations of people of faith. I can take being mocked but it's very disappointing to think that I'm actually paying money to be mocked. I get through those tougher parts, either with a roll of my eyes and a sometimes a deep sigh, because Aaron is still a good storyteller and I like the characters. I would be happier if I didn't have to endure it in something that I spend my hard earned money on.

With Thor #5, I chuckled a little at the dialogue. I knew what Aaron was doing. It felt awkward but to be honest I think some people out there could stand to benefit from seeing some of those justifications. My biggest problem with issue #5 is the fact that it felt more like a throw-away issue to me. I was so looking forward to this one because I thought I was going to get a chance to see Lady Thor settle down and be explored more. Instead it still seemed to focus more on the circumstances surrounding her. I wouldn't mind a little quiet time with her - no fighting or hammer time required.

Another thing that bugged me, and it was a BIG bug, was how Lady Thor's personality didn't match what I had been seeing in previous issues. I liked her when she was a little unsure of herself and determined to prove her own self-doubts wrong, but in this issue she almost felt over confident and even cocky. I HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE HOPE that was just an aberration. I have been enjoying this book immensely and I was in love with Lady Thor up until today. I hope things get a lot better in the next issue. I'll give it a 2/5.

And finally, I want Dauterman back. I would also really like to know what Ribic is doing right now. Can we please get him to draw a few of these Thor books for old time sake?
    I think Ribic is working on Secret Wars.

But I would love to see him on the book again.

Incredible Member

While I was liking the original GOT, I'm not liking this. I wouldn't mind the commentary if it was handled better but this was not well done. Also, Titania going to turn herself in because of "girl power"?! I have a hard time accepting that. Odin coming off as terrible and we miss out on a Thor- Creel/ Titania fight. Here's hoping the next issue better than this one.