Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

I found this pretty deeply silly and also utterly enjoyable.

All of the Thor-play laid over the shapes and tropes of police dramas kind reminded me of The Big Lebowski. Conceptually.

Now Ultimate Thor will need a new partner. He will, of course, get a green partner. New detective, Stormbreaker?, will be an analog alt current Jane Foster-Thor, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Lourde View Post
    Just one question, are not mutants human beings?
    Yes, when I refer to humans in opposition to mutants I just mean non-mutant 'normal' humans. Perhaps I should have used the term flatscans. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, humans are the only higher intelligence on the planet in real life and we still manage to fit in plenty of prejudice.

In the MU you will be loved if you are a science freak, or empowered by magical powers, or even mutated by a foreign substance. All that goes away if you are outed as a mutant.
    I am repeating myself here, but this just isn't true. Are Dr Octopus, Morgan le Fay or Carnage loved by the general Marvel populace? No, of course not. It is not superpowers that makes certain characters beloved, it is their superheroics. Even then, plenty of superheroes have struggled to win over the public and law, sometimes for years. Spider-Man is, of course, the most obvious example of this.

How many examples even are there of well-loved mutant superheroes being 'outed' and facing a publish backlash? I don't know any, which isn't to say they don't exist.

Rune Thor was definitely basing his comments on mutations not affiliation.
    When does he say anything about Storm's mutation? He complains about people from 'mutie' territories. At no point does he bring up her mutant-given superpower. This is not dissimilar to how people today justify police prejudice of black people by saying things like 'well black people are more likely to commit crimes'. People no longer tend to think black people are literally sub-human beasts like colonial era racism; instead racists today see black people as being less cultured, civilized, educated etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    Bigotry is based on stupidity, and focuses on superficial things. The thing is that mutants on the surface, superficially have little difference with the vast majority of not just the human populace, but with the vast majority of the 'suspiciously human looking' greater Marvel cosmic universe as well.
    In what way are gay people superficially different from straight people? Similarly, what is the superficial difference between Christians and Atheists that both are often prejudiced against the other? The only requirement for bigotry is difference.

Anti-mutant bigotry makes perfect sense here. The mutant territories are disliked by Rune Thor, ergo he dislikes 'muties' from those territories. The talking tree, frog and alien are not from mutant territories, ergo Rune Thor doesn't act bigoted towards them (in this scene at least, he seems like a dick and almost certainly has other prejudices, he just hasn't displayed them yet).

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noinden View Post
    Perhaps Ragnarock is here too? I could see that crazy Thor clone doing this!
    I'm guessing he will be a Marvel Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    Anti-mutant bigotry makes perfect sense here. The mutant territories are disliked by Rune Thor, ergo he dislikes 'muties' from those territories. The talking tree, frog and alien are not from mutant territories, ergo Rune Thor doesn't act bigoted towards them (in this scene at least, he seems like a dick and almost certainly has other prejudices, he just hasn't displayed them yet).
    I'd bet he has some colourful terms for Hulks and Ghost Riders, at the very least.

This was a great read and interested to see where it goes. Though while reading it whenever the location changed I can't help but hear this sound.

Just one question, are not mutants human beings? In the MU you will be loved if you are a science freak, or empowered by magical powers, or even mutated by a foreign substance. All that goes away if you are outed as a mutant. In the MU anyone can be imbued with powers that doesn't make everyone afraid of each other. Why is it that mutants can be mistreated? Rune Thor was definitely basing his comments on mutations not affiliation.
    I looked at Marvel super humans like 'Monsters' of the Monster Age comics before 1961. Instead of being all ghoulish, or Giants, they look just like us, but Monsters are seen in a dehumanised sense, so if they saw Frankensteins monster, they would kill it because it was below human and it was very frightening. Mutants are like that, in that they can walk through walls, change their appearance and read people's minds, so they are monsters and have to be dehumanised because they are frightening.

So heroes mistaken for mutants, like Spiderman and the Hulk, get the same treatment as mutants. Luckily, the FF and Avengers could explain away their abilities and appearances as experimental accidents.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-20-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    The Jane Thor on covers I think is the 616 Jane who will show up after Secret Wars #4.
    I meant Thordis. The What If? character. Not the current Thor.

I've jumped to the end of this thread to avoid spoilers, but how accessible is Thors? I've only recently come back to reading comics, and am enjoying picking up the odd title here and there. Trying to decide if Thors should be one, but am a little concerned that there may be too much detail in it given it's not a character I've followed?

Quote Originally Posted by McFly76 View Post
    I've jumped to the end of this thread to avoid spoilers, but how accessible is Thors? I've only recently come back to reading comics, and am enjoying picking up the odd title here and there. Trying to decide if Thors should be one, but am a little concerned that there may be too much detail in it given it's not a character I've followed?
    The first issue is pretty much any cop procedural you've seen: crazy partners, people who don't work well together, the slightly out-of-touch medical examiner, people who are too old for this ****... I think as long as you know that Thor wields a hammer and likes to drink, then you'll be okay.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

That's good enough for me Sans Simian. Cheers!

I never got around to posting my thoughts on this book, but, I loved it, only downside to this book is, it's not an ongoing.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by McFly76 View Post
    That's good enough for me Sans Simian. Cheers!
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Spectacular Member

uhm, isnt homo superior different from homo sapien, so technically, not human beings? real question, i think they are not considered human, hence all the hate.

and i'm calling odinson the unworthy as the murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by comicfan298 View Post
    This was a great read and interested to see where it goes. Though while reading it whenever the location changed I can't help but hear this sound.
    Excellent point, comicfan298 ! Need to re-read this really nice issue after that !

Quote Originally Posted by totalsellout View Post
    uhm, isnt homo superior different from homo sapien, so technically, not human beings? real question, i think they are not considered human, hence all the hate.
    Well the biological specifics are fairly obfuscated, but as I understand it mutants have a mutated X (sexual) chromosome or the X-gene sits on top of the X chromosome or something along those lines, but are otherwise identical to humans genetically (c.f. people with down's syndrome who have an extra copy of a chromosome). Homo superior is really a misnomer as they are not really a different species. But yeh, they are definitely considered not human by many, but above and beyond that they are simply considered dangerous outsiders, which is why the prejudice still makes sense in this context.