Spectacular Member

Default Superman Special #1 preview

The last issue of Tomasi/Gleason run.

https://www.avclub.com/father-and-so...-su-1825828322

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Weird, we are getting a preview for a book not out till next week. Also Superman has his reborn costume on for the flashback where he had the rebirth costume...one last continuity error for this era.

Actually, I think it makes more sense (sense being a relative term here) that he's wearing the Reborn costume. Dinosaur Island took place before the merger, but after the merger, memories would reflect the changes, and utilizing the Reborn costume suggests memories of this adventure are now in the context of a streamlined history of only one Superman and none of that double stuff.

In any case, this preview is a microcosm of why I'm so ready for this run to be over. In regards to focus, its Jon first, Superman second. So glad that's over. Though the homage to the ending of Superman: The Movie is nice.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-08-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Double agree with Sacred. Somehow Reborn made it so that the blue suit stuff happened with the Reborn suit. I know, I know...

But then yeah, it's really been too heavy on Jon, even though I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing. I'm hoping that Bendis is a writer who wants to write about Clark and get in his head above other characters.

Eh just because it starts with Jon doesn't mean the focus will be entirely on Jon. Regardless, I loved the Dinosaur Island story and the follow up to this is already looking good. Not a fan of Godlowski's art though. Hopefully the back ups are better than in the Action Comics special.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Actually, I think it makes more sense (sense being a relative term here) that he's wearing the Reborn costume. Dinosaur Island took place before the merger, but after the merger, memories would reflect the changes, and utilizing the Reborn costume suggests memories of this adventure are now in the context of a streamlined history of only one Superman and none of that double stuff.

In any case, this preview is a microcosm of why I'm so ready for this run to be over. In regards to focus, its Jon first, Superman second. So glad that's over. Though the homage to the ending of Superman: The Movie is nice.
    are you sure about this? I could have sworn we've seen the blue suit in flashbacks before, but I could be wrong. Either way it's in the comic, so I'll just trust you guys lol.

I can't recall seeing it, I know they forced in that L&C black suit, but I didn't think the all blue suit crossed over. But, I'm not 100% either.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

There's been no indication the blue suit ever "happened" in the current timeline. The only time we've seen it since Reborn is when Superman was surfing Hypertime in the Action #1000 story. I think the idea is that he went straight from the New 52 costume to the Reborn one beginning with Superman #1/Action #957.

Just be glad they didn't edit in the trunks and metallic cuffs. THAT'S the kind of continuity error that's going to start cropping up sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Weird, we are getting a preview for a book not out till next week. Also Superman has his reborn costume on for the flashback where he had the rebirth costume...one last continuity error for this era.
    Ha! I'm on your side with this one, and yet in some ways it's fitting.

I wonder how this run will be remembered. It's fairly popular now, but a lot of the wonky fluxing continuity probably means it'll read really differently from how it did week-to-week, month-to-month. When you can read through the whole Rebirth-'til-Bendis period in an afternoon, I bet it'll feel really different from how it felt with a minimum of a week between installments.

My first thought was to say "it'll probably be read worse," and then I thought, wait hang on, maybe not. I can read through a post-Crisis story, and a Superman in a purple-tinted version of his costume shows up in space, very reluctant to speak, wearing a cowboy hat and Mexican poncho, and it's Matrix, it's freaking Supergirl, during that weird period where they're not being Supergirl and I have to quick decide what pronouns to use for them. I totally forgot that they ever took Superman's form, much less wandered space meeting Draaga in a cowboy hat, but so much of comics are so weird, I just accept it and move on with the story, because it's fine, and I'm enjoying it fine.

I bet that Rebirth/Reborn's going to be something kind of like that. Oh, in this issue Clark's not native to the universe he lives in and it's a really important plotline? Okay, proceed. It won't really hurt the reread that much, especially when what's really memorable about this era is Lois doing stuff and Jon jumping around like a lovable fool in a Superman hoodie.

I think this period, however weird and brief, will be well-remembered. The Loeb/Kelly run of the post-post-Flashpoint Superman. The slightly wonky but overall pretty damn good start to a period of tumultuous instability.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I think it will be remembered rather fondly honestly. It isn't too difficult to get into. All you really need to read is Lois and Clark -> First Half of Superman/Action Comics Rebirth -> Superman Reborn -> Second Half of Superman/Action Comics Rebirth. Boyzarro Redeath was also very good (imo) so having that last enjoyable arc helped this run's reputation after all the filler. You don't even really need to read Reborn, just know Supes is now the Superman and is treated like he's always been the Superman after Reborn.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Superman View Post
    There's been no indication the blue suit ever "happened" in the current timeline. The only time we've seen it since Reborn is when Superman was surfing Hypertime in the Action #1000 story. I think the idea is that he went straight from the New 52 costume to the Reborn one beginning with Superman #1/Action #957.
    Well, Bizarro's still (basically) wearing it over in Red Hood & the Outlaws.