Default Jim Gordon's wealth level

What is Jim's wealth level these days? Certainly up until the 1970s, at least, he was a wealthier man. Not saying he was not oh-my-god rich, but not middle class, either. Even today Police commissioner (or equivalent) in major cities make good money (over 200k). I know major cities tend to be high cost of living, of course. Nonetheless, that's well above what most people living in those cities make. Anyway, Gotham is dangerous and always rebuilding, so who knows what their budget looks like.

Anyway, I just realized I haven't read much (or anything) that really hit Jim's spending habits, home life, etc. in several years and wanted to ask what the current status quo was.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-04-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I literally just googled police commissioner salaries in five cities and most seem to make somewhere in the low six digits, the highest being $140,000. That seemed about right to me. In past stories he's owned a brownstone, but depending on property values, that might not cost that much in Gotham. I always figured Gotham was always on the precipice of being as glamorous as NYC, but it's Detroit and East St. Louis sized problems always held it back. I also always kinda figured that Wayne Enterprises was one of the only things that kept it afloat.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I literally just googled police commissioner salaries in five cities and most seem to make somewhere in the low six digits, the highest being $140,000. That seemed about right to me. In past stories he's owned a brownstone, but depending on property values, that might not cost that much in Gotham. I always figured Gotham was always on the precipice of being as glamorous as NYC, but it's Detroit and East St. Louis sized problems always held it back. I also always kinda figured that Wayne Enterprises was one of the only things that kept it afloat.
    I Googled too. I looked at NYC and Chicago (different title) and both were over 200k. I used NYC because Gotham used to be New York and Chicago because geography was modeled on it at one time (I mean, the alleys and such). Jersey City top cop was 210k (which I picked because Gotham is in New Jersey). Just depends how big/rich Gotham is. Which cities did you use?

I always figured Gotham was always on the precipice of being as glamorous as NYC, but it's Detroit and East St. Louis sized problems always held it back. I also always kinda figured that Wayne Enterprises was one of the only things that kept it afloat.
    Reasonable. I like a less always-terrible Gotham, but the always-terrible is definitely more prominent in canon.

Edit: My sources NYC, Jersey City, and Chicago
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-27-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

I agree with the OP that pre-Crisis, he always seemed to be a relatively affluent, if not outright wealthy, man. Someone who could easily hobknob with the really wealthy. Remember, the very first Batman story starts with him socializing with Bruce Wayne (it was established much later that he was a friend of Bruce's Uncle Phillip). The Gordon of the '66 show also seems to be a fairly upper-crust gent, and that matches most of his portrayals in the comics from 1939 right up till the mid-1980's.

Its Year One that first presents a Gordon who seems more explicitly middle-class, or at any rate, not overtly affluent. At the very least, it introduces the idea that Gordon doesn't come from a particularly moneyed background, and that whatever relatively wealth we saw him with in chronologically later stories was down to his Police Commissioner's salary and not some kind of priveleged background.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I Googled too. I looked at NYC and Chicago (different title) and both were over 200k. I used NYC because Gotham used to be New York and Chicago because geography was modeled on it at one time (I mean, the alleys and such). Jersey City top cop was 210k (which I picked because Gotham is in New Jersey). Just depends how big/rich Gotham is. Which cities did you use?

Reasonable. I like a less always-terrible Gotham, but the always-terrible is definitely more prominent in canon.

Edit: My sources NYC, Jersey City, and Chicago
    Honestly, yours are probably more accurate. I did a surface level search at best, admittedly. That said, while I can see Gordon making up to $200,000, I have a hard time seeing any non-elected city employee making much more unless they were getting their palm greased. I have very little to base that on, just a gut feeling based on some of my favorite Commissioner Gordon comics (most of which were written by Greg Rucka, btw).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

In New 52 Batgirl, the Gordons used to live in a standard American suburb house with picket fence yard until Barbara Sr. moved out.

When they moved to Gotham, their house is a Brownstone, pretty much the same as in Year One and Turning Points

084e829cccf140a2c9353f9fb47c5fa2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

In Batman Endgame, the house is located in Foundry Square, Lower East Side, Downtown Gotham, the neighborhood where the city began, when the English overcame the Dutch who overcame the Miagani tribe. Batman mentioned that part of the city is a place of change where 50 year old buildings no longer standing, except for Foundry Square where the people band together to defend their modest homes and the buildings are over 200 years old.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-27-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Batman mentioned that part of the city is a place of change where 50 year old buildings no longer standing, except for Foundry Square where the people band together to defend their modest homes and the buildings are over 200 years old.
    And to think, I'd prefer the newer-than-50-year old house, as a general rule.

Thanks for the image.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

About spending habits, the only thing I remember Gordon ever mentioned or seen spending are cigarettes and groceries for a family of 3 before Babs and James Jr. moved out.

In Arkham his pipe was a gift from Babs
    In comics, I don't remember which, I think it was from Bruce/Batman
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-28-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    What is Jim's wealth level these days? Certainly up until the 1970s, at least, he was a wealthier man. Not saying he was not oh-my-god rich, but not middle class, either. Even today Police commissioner (or equivalent) in major cities make good money (over 2005). I know major cities tend to be high cost of living, of course. Nonetheless, that's well above what most people living in those cities make. Anyway, Gotham is dangerous and always rebuilding, so who knows what their budget looks like.

Anyway, I just realized I haven't read much (or anything) that really hit Jim's spending habits, home life, etc. in several years and wanted to ask what the current status quo was.
    Are you asking because you want to become a police commissioner yourself? ��