Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Za Is No Leader View Post
    We we're willing to wait a long while, what's a little bit longer? If anything, this allows Marvel Studios more time to make sure Captain Marvel is the best it can be.
    Except this delay isn't going to make any difference to the quality of the Captain Marvel movie. All it's going to do is make us wait even longer for no frigging reason other than to fit in that one last straight white guy before they finally get around to making any movies that don't have a straight white man as the protagonist. It's a frustrating delay, because of the reason for it. If they said, "We realized our timeframe didn't quite give us the time we needed, so we rearranged some movies so they would turn out better," then hey, fine. But this is them saying, "We realized we could get in another white dude, and they will always take precedence over women and people of colour, so we shoved some movies back to make more room." It's just bullshit.

well I'm worried they will put Spider-Man into Civil War and lessen Black Panthers roll. I'm not happy about BP or Captain Marvels film getting pushed back, but at least BP doesn't have to face off against Justice League and Star Wars (hopefully). The thing about pushing stuff back is there are always other films.

Still I will try to find the Silver lining. Justice League would probably do much better than BP's film. I expect it will do better than Thor 3, but maybe that is just me. I have little interest in Thor 3 and it's highly unlikely I go to see it. I love the cast but the plot a for each movie has been underwhelming. Whereas I'm very likely to see Justice League unless the trailer looks terrible or something.
    The J-man

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Except this delay isn't going to make any difference to the quality of the Captain Marvel movie. All it's going to do is make us wait even longer for no frigging reason other than to fit in that one last straight white guy before they finally get around to making any movies that don't have a straight white man as the protagonist. It's a frustrating delay, because of the reason for it. If they said, "We realized our timeframe didn't quite give us the time we needed, so we rearranged some movies so they would turn out better," then hey, fine. But this is them saying, "We realized we could get in another white dude, and they will always take precedence over women and people of colour, so we shoved some movies back to make more room." It's just bullshit.
    I don't see how this precludes further work on any of the delayed films. Unless there's a rule that they can't even think about them until enough time has passed.

Also, Spider-Man is going to make them money. He could be a giraffe and they'd delay everything for him.

Like I said, we were already going to wait awhile, so awhile longer won't hurt. Up until a few months ago we didn't even know if a Captain Marvel movie was happening. The fact that it still is, makes me happy. I'm thankful for that. Meanwhile, missing out on a movie release for a bit means nothing really. Life still goes on and it'll eventually come out. I'm also not arguing about social issues, since they play no role in this. This is more about Marvel and Sony capitalizing on an IP that will generate more revenue. I have no idea why you're turning this into yet another race/gender issue, since it isn't one. It's a monetary one and as long as these studios see to make more money, they'll do as such.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    I don't see how this precludes further work on any of the delayed films. Unless there's a rule that they can't even think about them until enough time has passed.

Also, Spider-Man is going to make them money. He could be a giraffe and they'd delay everything for him.
    It's far enough out that a few more months isn't going to make that big a difference, in terms of development time. Especially since they don't really start doing much work on the movies starts a couple years ahead of time. This doesn't mean a few more months of development for Captain Marvel, it means development will start a few months later than was planned.

Like I said, we were already going to wait awhile, so awhile longer won't hurt. Up until a few months ago we didn't even know if a Captain Marvel movie was happening. The fact that it still is, makes me happy. I'm thankful for that. Meanwhile, missing out on a movie release for a bit means nothing really. Life still goes on and it'll eventually come out. I'm also not arguing about social issues, since they play no role in this. This is more about Marvel and Sony capitalizing on an IP that will generate more revenue. I have no idea why you're turning this into yet another race/gender issue, since it isn't one. It's a monetary one and as long as these studios see to make more money, they'll do as such.
    What I'm wondering is why it's the people who want greater diversity who always have to wait. I think this actually does tie into social issues - most things do, on some level. It's already taking Marvel an embarrassingly long time to actually get around to movies with leads who aren't white men, and now it's going to take them even longer before they do it. What they prioritize says something, and they've been saying that they don't particularly care about female and minority leads. They've now actively sought another white guy to fit into their schedule. Is this going to happen again? Are they going to bump Captain Marvel back so they can fit in Speedball or some shit?

Also, is Spider-Man going to be in other movies? And if so, will he be taking focus that otherwise would have gone to Captain Marvel or Black Panther? He's the big star character, after all, so it's not unreasonable to worry that even in something like Infinity War, he'd wind up being a much more important character than Marvel or Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    well I'm worried they will put Spider-Man into Civil War and lessen Black Panthers roll. I'm not happy about BP or Captain Marvels film getting pushed back, but at least BP doesn't have to face off against Justice League and Star Wars (hopefully). The thing about pushing stuff back is there are always other films.

Still I will try to find the Silver lining. Justice League would probably do much better than BP's film. I expect it will do better than Thor 3, but maybe that is just me. I have little interest in Thor 3 and it's highly unlikely I go to see it. I love the cast but the plot a for each movie has been underwhelming. Whereas I'm very likely to see Justice League unless the trailer looks terrible or something.
    That's probably what's going to happen. I never really liked the original BP date so this could be a blessing in disguise.

The question now is will bp be in Infinity War 1 because it would be weird for him to be in two movies before his origin flick.

What movies will BP be competing with in July 2018?
    Last edited by UltimateTy; 02-10-2015 at 01:12 AM.
    We need better comics

Spectacular Member

It's far enough out that a few more months isn't going to make that big a difference, in terms of development time. Especially since they don't really start doing much work on the movies starts a couple years ahead of time. This doesn't mean a few more months of development for Captain Marvel, it means development will start a few months later than was planned.

What I'm wondering is why it's the people who want greater diversity who always have to wait. I think this actually does tie into social issues - most things do, on some level. It's already taking Marvel an embarrassingly long time to actually get around to movies with leads who aren't white men, and now it's going to take them even longer before they do it. What they prioritize says something, and they've been saying that they don't particularly care about female and minority leads. They've now actively sought another white guy to fit into their schedule. Is this going to happen again? Are they going to bump Captain Marvel back so they can fit in Speedball or some shit?

Also, is Spider-Man going to be in other movies? And if so, will he be taking focus that otherwise would have gone to Captain Marvel or Black Panther? He's the big star character, after all, so it's not unreasonable to worry that even in something like Infinity War, he'd wind up being a much more important character than Marvel or Panther.
    The delay could translate to a lot of improvements in the pre-planning stages...

Well that's just it, isn't it? You're waiting. Not really doing anything. You've left diversity in the hands of a company which is well, a company. Not just that, but two companies. Spider-Man isn't Speedball, and no one in the industry thinks Spider-Man is just some white guy. They seem him as he is. A fan favourite that will generate a lot of revenue. I think it's a little disingenuous to criticize Marvel's priorities on a Captain Marvel thread, who has had a lot of hand holding from Marvel, just because they want a sure thing like Spider-Man.

Also, there's no reason to assume Spider-Man will dominate the movies. He never dominated franchise-wide events in the past, and Captain Marvel and Black Panther are two entities solely owned by Marvel. It's safer and easier to invest in them as future franchise leads seeing as how they have full rights and don't have to worry about Sony's input.
    Last edited by EuphemismForSex; 02-10-2015 at 01:33 AM.

People turning the delay into some kind of social issue don't seem to understand this move was clearly done to appease Sony. While Spider-Man will now be able to crossover with the MCU and the films will have input from Marvel, Sony is still the primary studio. Obviously, Marvel gave up one of their summer date slots as part of the deal so there wouldn't be a competing property at the box office. It has nothing to do with Marvel preferring to put out a white male film out before a minority or female character film. Besides, Thor and the Inhumans will also be delayed. The only reason the Avengers films weren't delayed is because they are the prime choice for the lucrative first week of May.

BANNED

Seriously, do we need another Spider-Man film? After finding out he would not be in Civil War, I lost interest in Spidey ever appearing in the MCU. I thought phase 3 was about introducing new characters and advancing the storyline forward. How would shoehorning a Spider-Man accomplish this? According to Kevin Feige himself, the Captain Marvel and Black Panther movies were the two most talked about films. Now Black Panther will be after IW1 and Inhumas after IW2. Seriously, are the Inhumans going to fight Thanos after he's already been defeated? Because of this, Captain Marvel will not be the big 4th of July weekend blockbuster movie. That sucks. Carol Corps will have to wait until November. This is boycott worthy imo. I hope the Spider-Man film bombs. On a side note, man, are Black Widow fans going to be pissed! I'm pretty sure Tumblr has exploded in outrage. They're never getting their Black Widow movie!

Fantastic Member

Oh, son of a bitch. Why would they push these movies back? It had damned well better not have anything to do with the Spider-Man thing. If Marvel's first minority-led film and their first female-led film both got bumped in favour of yet another white guy, then that's just bullshit.
    Given that the Spiderman movie is supposed to be "a new version of the character"*, I'm hoping they'll put Miles in the MCU instead of Peter Parker. That would be far less bothersome than getting BP & CM pushed back for a regular spidey movie.

*Source: http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02...eal-with-sony/

BANNED

We we're willing to wait a long while, what's a little bit longer? If anything, this allows Marvel Studios more time to make sure Captain Marvel is the best it can be.
    The same could be said for Spider-Man. Seriously, how much time does Marvel need to make a Captain Marvel movie awesome? This is a movie Marvel has been planning for a long time now.

damn! I hate that she's getting a delay

Oh, son of a bitch. Why would they push these movies back? It had damned well better not have anything to do with the Spider-Man thing. If Marvel's first minority-led film and their first female-led film both got bumped in favour of yet another white guy, then that's just bullshit.
    Obviously its bc of Spiderman. They are working him into the MCU and it could be that what they plan for him chronologically fits in a certain place, so the others needed to be adjusted to fit for that. I dont like it either but its understandable if they have a plan

I'm happy for the fact that that spidey is back at marvel studios but the possibility that they are replacing a hero whom we have never seen on live action before with a hero who has had 5 movies within the last 13 years. seems like the deconstruction of bp in the comics is transfering to the movies. Black character get bummed out

Still glad to see Spiderman though

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    Yeah, the smart money was on CM and The Inhuman films to bridge the gap between the IW parts with more cosmic/earth connection stuff. This means BB, Medusa and co. will probably be in a standalone story now, one that's not part of the big phase 3 finale; leaving the Captain Marvel film to carry any Infinity War plot lines.

Hey, on the gripping hand, possible Spidey appearance in the Carol movie? The worst date ever could actually make it onscreen now.

[edit: possibly even better - J.Jonah Jameson butting heads with Carol over publishing rights.]
    Carol Danvers being the secret identity of her kree hybrid persona while putting out quality content for the Daily Bugle and on good footing with Joe Robertson, Betty Leeds and Ben Urich, is to me a likable scenario.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    His role on the issue was way overstated in comics due to his popularity. Why do Stark and Cap need a teen who fights street crime in New York's approval for a law like that. The dirrection the movie was going with trying to gain t'challa's political help was much more logical (personal bias aside). But now they'll probably write T'challa out of that role or diminish it so that ppl can see spiderman crack jokes.
    Why are you so upset?

Money is the only thing Marvel are interested in and you can bet your bottom Dollar on the fact that Marvel are looking to make major bank on having Spidey smack dab in the middle of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Do you honestly think a Black Panther movie would be high on Marvels priorities under this set of circumstances?