Page 677 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1775776276676736746756766776786796806816877277771177 ... LastLast
Results 10,141 to 10,155 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean since your post is a bit unclear (do you have the omni or not?) but I'll try to answer anyway.

The Punisher by Ennis Omni has several self-contained story arcs, as well as quite a few one-shots. That means it isn't one long story with an over-arching plot like Preacher. Most of the artwork is done by Dillon.

Then there's the Punisher MAX series by Ennis, which is darker and much more gritty and serious (the Omnibus is a bit more over the top in comparison and full of black humour). None of the artwork here is by Dillon (mainly Leandro Fernandez) and there are again separate story arcs. However, these feel a bit more connected than the stories in the Omnibus, mainly because of reappearing characters. Atm it is available in TPB collections (there have been OHCs, but particularly vol. 4 is hard to come by).

In any case, both runs are excellent and well worth the purchase.
    Sorry I meant I have it on pre-order, so your message is definitely useful, thank you!

While the omni has several arcs, can I go in fresh or do I need prior knowledge?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    Sorry I meant I have it on pre-order, so your message is definitely useful, thank you!

While the omni has several arcs, can I go in fresh or do I need prior knowledge?

Thanks!
    Just basic knowledge of who the punisher is. It's a great collection of great stories.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Just basic knowledge of who the punisher is. It's a great collection of great stories.
    Fair enough. Thanks!

Speaking of, The Punisher Back to War omnibus is right around the corner.

It seems to be a complete hodge podge of stories, and an overpriced one at that, especially compared to the Ennis reprint.

How's the material collected in it? I've enjoyed most of the modern runs of the character, but pre-Ennis I haven't read much.

Astonishing Member

It seems to be a complete hodge podge of stories, and an overpriced one at that, especially compared to the Ennis reprint.

How's the material collected in it? I've enjoyed most of the modern runs of the character, but pre-Ennis I haven't read much.
    It's a collection of every Punisher appearance before he got his first ongoing title in 1987. The first appearance of Punisher has him attacking Spider-Man (with a nonlethal gun), thinking he's a villain. The other ASM issues are where Frank appears and teams up with Spider-Man to take on some villain. There's a couple of solo stories from the black and white magazines that Marvel used to publish that are more in line with his solo ongoing. The Captain America issue is a straight team up similar to most of the ASM.

The Daredevil issues are by Frank Miller and are great. They set up the antagonistic relationship between the 2 men that ends with Daredevil taking the Punisher down.

The Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man issues are similar to Daredevil, with Spider-Man opposing the Punisher and the Punisher appearing mentally unstable.

Finally, the mini series is the first real showcase of the modern Punisher character that is a must buy for any fan of the character.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

It depends on how open minded you are I'd wager. If you consider Ennis to be THE definitive version of the character you're going to be disappointed.
    If you find enjoyment at essentially a "historical" take on the character, his roots and origins and juxtaposing that to where he is now even Post-Ennis you may enjoy it.

I'm totally looking forward to it as I've not read all the issues contained but read about 1/2. Very pumped about this collection myself.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It's a collection of every Punisher appearance before he got his first ongoing title in 1987. The first appearance of Punisher has him attacking Spider-Man (with a nonlethal gun), thinking he's a villain. The other ASM issues are where Frank appears and teams up with Spider-Man to take on some villain. There's a couple of solo stories from the black and white magazines that Marvel used to publish that are more in line with his solo ongoing. The Captain America issue is a straight team up similar to most of the ASM.

The Daredevil issues are by Frank Miller and are great. They set up the antagonistic relationship between the 2 men that ends with Daredevil taking the Punisher down.

The Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man issues are similar to Daredevil, with Spider-Man opposing the Punisher and the Punisher appearing mentally unstable.

Finally, the mini series is the first real showcase of the modern Punisher character that is a must buy for any fan of the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It depends on how open minded you are I'd wager. If you consider Ennis to be THE definitive version of the character you're going to be disappointed.
    If you find enjoyment at essentially a "historical" take on the character, his roots and origins and juxtaposing that to where he is now even Post-Ennis you may enjoy it.

I'm totally looking forward to it as I've not read all the issues contained but read about 1/2. Very pumped about this collection myself.
    Thanks guys. I'm still on the fence. Sounds like the only thing I'd really be interested in would be the issues of the main series at the end. If those other issues formed a more cohesive story I'd be down.

I'll have to think about it, or see if IST has it deeply discounted like the Tangled Web omnibus a couple weeks ago haha

Incredible Member

Thanks guys. I'm still on the fence. Sounds like the only thing I'd really be interested in would be the issues of the main series at the end. If those other issues formed a more cohesive story I'd be down.

I'll have to think about it, or see if IST has it deeply discounted like the Tangled Web omnibus a couple weeks ago haha
    Just a fair warning Ennis doesn't like superheroes so you may not like how some characters get treated the last half of the Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    Just a fair warning Ennis doesn't like superheroes so you may not like how some characters get treated the last half of the Omni.
    I've already read the entirety of Ennis' Punisher work. The reprint is a must buy. I was inquiring about the Back to War omnibus that's also coming out.

Can anyone tell me if Brubaker's DD vol.2 includes all the material that came out with #500? (i.e. Nocenti + Aja's short story)

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    Can anyone tell me if Brubaker's DD vol.2 includes all the material that came out with #500? (i.e. Nocenti + Aja's short story)
    You mean the omni?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    You mean the omni?
    Yes, the Omni. Sorry for the omission.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    I can check when I get home later today from work, if no one checks before me. From my recollection, it doesn't include the Nocenti/Aja story, but my memory may fail me.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

My recent accumulated Marvel haul:

I managed to pick up the Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7 OHC for below cover price from the amazon.co.uk marketplace. This was one of my best white whale finds of late. I only need to pick up Vol. 4+5, no real point in waiting around for a Vol. 2 Omnibus. I don't usually purchase PHC's but from what I understand the Waid Captain America Man Out of Time miniseries will not be in the upcoming Captain America by Waid Omnibus, so I decided to pick up the PHC as it was going for a fiver. The 2 CA OHCs (America First & For Ever Allies) only cost about £4 each (incl. shipping).
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 09-01-2017 at 04:04 AM.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    My recent accumulated Marvel haul:

I managed to pick up the Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 7 OHC for below cover price from the amazon.co.uk marketplace. This was one of my best white whale finds of late. I only need to pick up Vol. 4+5, no real point in waiting around for a Vol. 2 Omnibus. I don't usually purchase PHC's but from what I understand the Waid Captain America Man Out of Time miniseries will not be in the upcoming Captain America by Waid Omnibus, so I decided to pick up the PHC as it was going for a fiver. The 2 CA OHCs (America First & For Ever Allies) only cost about £4 each (incl. shipping).
    Awesome haul. Where do you buy your brand new books from? I recently got the man out of time hardcover aswell and only cost 2.50 cant go wrong with that