Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why not Superman Retro movies?

So Warner Bros often times claim that superman is outdated or so on. Which I personally don't agree.
    But then why don't they just make retro movies of superman, that seem like a perfectly logical conclusion.
    Think about it, Ready Player One was a retro, It was a retro, Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 1984 are both retro.
    Honestly they could do a 1980s retro as homage to the Donner movies,
    or even better, do a retro back to 1938 and show the decades of history for the man of steel.
    Food for thoughts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    So Warner Bros often times claim that superman is outdated or so on. Which I personally don't agree.
    But then why don't they just make retro movies of superman, that seem like a perfectly logical conclusion.
    Think about it, Ready Player One was a retro, It was a retro, Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 1984 are both retro.
    Honestly they could do a 1980s retro as homage to the Donner movies,
    or even better, do a retro back to 1938 and show the decades of history for the man of steel.
    Food for thoughts.
    How about mix of retro and modern in an interesting way like the first issue of Miracleman, where we see a cartoon or black and white cheesy reimagination of Donner's Superman with the story ended in Superman smiling in a very disturbing way and then flash forward to modern era where the future is jaded and ruled by villains a la Kingdom Come. So it's mix of retro and modern with Kingdom Come and Miracleman.

I've been saying for years now, that the way to save Superman in cinema is to do a Golden Age period piece.

Making the film a period piece would solve a lot of problems; you can include social commentary and have Superman actually say something worth hearing without making it a direct condemnation of the current political climate. Setting it in the past would help audiences separate themselves a bit from their expectations and signal that this should be viewed as "a" Superman, and not what they consider to be "the" Superman, helping avoid some of the baggage that Superman's name now carries with it in the social subconscious. It'd help keep the budget down, making it easier for the film to churn out a respectable profit. Focusing specifically on one particular era, rather than trying to capture the entirety of the character, means a tighter, more well defined personality, motivations, etc. Placing the film in a more "rough and tumble" era means Clark can be more rough and tumble, with less demand that he be some kind of saint.

And there's tons of quality source material to mine, from the original comics to the radio serial to the newspaper strips to more modern revisits like Smashes the Klan, Morrison's Action, and Tom DeHaven's "It's Superman!" novel.

Such a film, assuming it's handled well, could easily end up being the most popular Super film to date. It'd also likely be wildly popular as a big budget HBO show, which would be my preference between the two.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    How about mix of retro and modern in an interesting way like the first issue of Miracleman, where we see a cartoon or black and white cheesy reimagination of Donner's Superman with the story ended in Superman smiling in a very disturbing way and then flash forward to modern era where the future is jaded and ruled by villains a la Kingdom Come. So it's mix of retro and modern with Kingdom Come and Miracleman.
    As a story I think that's a quality idea. But is right now the proper time for a Superman movie where he essentially fails? Kingdom Come works great because that's the whole premise; what happens when the heroes (Superman specifically) give up and abandon their ideals? But it's also a cynical deconstruction and I feel like we need something more clearly optimistic after Snyder's films. MoS *is* an optimistic movie, but you have to look closely to see it, and most audiences just won't do that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I've been saying for years now, that the way to save Superman in cinema is to do a Golden Age period piece.

Making the film a period piece would solve a lot of problems; you can include social commentary and have Superman actually say something worth hearing without making it a direct condemnation of the current political climate. Setting it in the past would help audiences separate themselves a bit from their expectations and signal that this should be viewed as "a" Superman, and not what they consider to be "the" Superman, helping avoid some of the baggage that Superman's name now carries with it in the social subconscious. It'd help keep the budget down, making it easier for the film to churn out a respectable profit. Focusing specifically on one particular era, rather than trying to capture the entirety of the character, means a tighter, more well defined personality, motivations, etc. Placing the film in a more "rough and tumble" era means Clark can be more rough and tumble, with less demand that he be some kind of saint.

And there's tons of quality source material to mine, from the original comics to the radio serial to the newspaper strips to more modern revisits like Smashes the Klan, Morrison's Action, and Tom DeHaven's "It's Superman!" novel.

Such a film, assuming it's handled well, could easily end up being the most popular Super film to date. It'd also likely be wildly popular as a big budget HBO show, which would be my preference between the two.
    Exactly, and for golden age, we can have superman go after corrupt government officials and so on.
    Also, I think if it was set in the golden age or silver age, we don't need a end of the world thing, it can be more focused on the superman character.

BANNED

I can see that being an interesting concept, but for Moore's version to work, he made it so that the classic Miracleman mostly being experiments and injected memory.
    If we really want a Moore-ish Superman retro-modern take, we should go to Supreme.
    In Supreme, Moore keeps shifting forward and backword between silver age and mordern age, it was an interesting take, but a bit too meta for films.

BANNED

As a story I think that's a quality idea. But is right now the proper time for a Superman movie where he essentially fails? Kingdom Come works great because that's the whole premise; what happens when the heroes (Superman specifically) give up and abandon their ideals? But it's also a cynical deconstruction and I feel like we need something more clearly optimistic after Snyder's films. MoS *is* an optimistic movie, but you have to look closely to see it, and most audiences just won't do that.
    I believe that's because we already saturated with the run of a mill Superhero story in Marvel, DC and WB should show what Superman is to them, but in a more unconventional way of thinking. But, you are right that it might be too grim for people.

BANNED

I believe that's because we already saturated with the run of a mill Superhero story in Marvel, DC and WB should show what Superman is to them, but in a more unconventional way of thinking. But, you are right that it might be too grim for people.
    I honestly think Supreme could be a better fit than Miracleman,
    Suprme actually had all these classic silver age adventures, then he returns to modern age,
    but I don't know how the meta commentary material fly with the cinema audience.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I honestly think Supreme could be a better fit than Miracleman,
    Suprme actually had all these classic silver age adventures, then he returns to modern age,
    but I don't know how the meta commentary material fly with the cinema audience.
    Lol, you are right on that. Supreme could be a better fit, but Supreme's beauty is that you are bringing Silver Age adventures in Modern Age with meta-commentary at the situation of Superhero comic. I think the best approach would be Superman: Secret Identity as a meta contextual story from Golden, Silver, to Modern.

Honestly, it's almost impossible to not have any modern take when something retro is done. WW is a great example. It is set in World War I but, obviously, no movie with these opinions and ideas would ever have been made in that era. We haven't seen Wonder Woman 2 but I have no doubt it will be nothing like a Wonder Woman movie actually made in 1984. I would love to see a Superman movie set in 1938 that retells the early stories but merged into a coherent single story with a lot of the personal lives of the characters. What would ruin it is forcing ideas and opinions that didn't exist then.

Superman Smashes the Klan is a great example. Based on a radio serial and making the same core point but more sophisticated in how it is told.
    Power with Girl is better.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Making the film a period piece would solve a lot of problems; you can include social commentary and have Superman actually say something worth hearing without making it a direct condemnation of the current political climate.
    I think you don't need a period piece for that. You just need a fantastical world and allegorical mode of story telling. Just say superman's world is not "our" world but very very very similar,Yet different . Moreover, i think depending on the age demographics that stories targets, certain stories of the old can ruffle some feather even if its set in 1938.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-21-2020 at 10:26 PM.

I'm telling you, we just need to get my movie finished and made - we'd have all this, and modern prep too.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

As long as superman runs on electric cable grid, clings on wall, punch beams and godzilla ... Etc. I will be happy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    As long as superman runs on electric cable grid, clings on wall, punch beams and godzilla ... Etc. I will be happy.
    You suck, Superman is the Godzilla!

You suck, Superman is the Godzilla!
    Raaaaawr! I guess. I can see how is an unchained beast.