View Poll Results: What costume should Wally West wear now?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic shiny red suit circa 1990s

28 24.78%
  • Dark Flash/Rebirth ‘08 suit

9 7.96%
  • Hair free Rebirth 2016 suit

61 53.98%
  • Something new

15 13.27%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    We do not live in the DC Universe. You and I both know what a retcon is.
    Do you?
    Coming up with a new umbrella term to describe something characters were already doing, is not a retcon of what they were already doing.
    It's just retroactively giving it a name.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-26-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Do you?
    Coming up with a new umbrella term to describe something characters were already doing, is not a retcon of what they were already doing.
    It's just retroactively giving it a name.
    If you can tell me a time they, like, recognized lightning energy shooting off Barry Allen before 1994 then I'll concede the point. What Barry had is an incredibly innovative comic art style pioneered by Infantino. Absurdly influential, maybe the most influential aspect of Flash history. But that's not what I was talking about and I feel like you're just being pedantic.

i don't know, it seems like an effect that would pop up now and then, not consistently but eventually came to become a staple.

anyway if we are stuck forever with this status quo with both Barry and Wally alive as the Flash, long term i think it only works if there are compromises from both of them. It shouldn't just be Wally rolling over and getting left with crumbs like some higher ups no doubt want, or wanted back when they were in charge. But as for the costume, I really don't think Wally and Barry wearing basically same costume with minor tweaks is going to help either of them. Either Wally or Barry's gotta change. And I wouldn't be opposed to Barry being the one to do it.... but since Wally's already got a new look I like, figure we might as well go with that.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 09-26-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly kind of surprised how many votes the second Rebirth costume is getting (even though I like it).
    Well, quite aside from anything else... look at the competition. A costume that's practically a shade of red away from Barry (who is keeping that, like it or lump it*), a downgraded version of the same or a nebulous "something new". It's the only distinct and definitive option there.

Could have dropped some more options (Walter West, Blue Flashattan, glowy gold, etc) into the list.

Also, maybe HiC has "tainted" it too much, but when characters chop and change costumes a lot, it weakens them as brands. Better to keep going (tweaks notwithstanding) with one costume for a character.

*Notice how they were careful with the Earth-Two versions of characters who, unlike Jay or Alan Scott, mostly shared costumes with their Silver Age descendents to pick the version most different from the SA. E2-Hawkman using his short-lived cowl rather than full hawkhead mask, for instance.
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 09-26-2020 at 04:46 PM.

If you can tell me a time they, like, recognized lightning energy shooting off Barry Allen before 1994 then I'll concede the point.
    Already did in the link provided, you chose to ignore as "style"
    Others (Superman) going the same speed, even along side him weren't drawn generating lightning, to convey the speed.
    Yet Flash was.
    So who is being pedantic, in trying to dismiss it.
    What Barry had is an incredibly innovative comic art style pioneered by Infantino. Absurdly influential, maybe the most influential aspect of Flash history. But that's not what I was talking about and I feel like you're just being pedantic.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-26-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Already did in the link provided, you choose to ignore as "style"

Yet others (Superman) going the same speed, even along side him weren't drawn generating lightning, to convey speed.
    Yet Flash was.
    So who is being pedantic, in trying to dismiss it.
    Because Superman doesn't have lightning decals on his costume. Why would you. They are blurs of motion that only come from his lightning decals. It's insightful artistic depiction, not actual energy, not a consequence of his power. Half the time it doesn't even look like lightning anymore when it's drawn. Christ I don't even know why I'm trying to argue this anymore. You know what I'm talking about and are blithely ignoring it. I'm done responding to you. Enjoy minimizing Wally.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-26-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Wow. I was expecting the poll to be a little tighter than this. So far, it's a blow out.

Because Superman doesn't have lightning decals on his costume.
    No, Superman's speed isn't meant to convey lightning, just speed, whose speed isn't associated with coming from or generated by lightning.
    That is specifically a Flash speed thing. And yes it predates Wally as Flash, sorry.
    They are blurs of motion that only come from his lightning decals.
    You said "They are blurs of motion that only come from his lightning decals."
    Yet the lightning is often also generated by his wings too,, on head and boots, these aren't shaped like lightning, yet generate the lightning trail, so it clearly conveys more than just the "decal" blurs, but the energy generated,
    But OK.

And yes the hair should definitely be exposed, whatever color he uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

I am fairly certain many who advocate for the open cowl look have pernicious motive to get him out of the way. They don't have the character's best interest at heart. Seeing as the costume was made to box the character in..
    And no it's not to keep him down, it's a visual I strongly associate with him.

As to the Blue and Silver for Wally over Red and/or Yellow. - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post1021998
    It comes from Jay.
    Barry took the gold and all red elements from Jay's costume and made them his own .
    The half Yellow I associate with Kid flash.
    An adult Wally Flash could similarly homages Jay, yet make it his own by going all blue and silver(from the helmet and buckle) with his.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-04-2020 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    agreed, people don't usually think less of Nightwing for still wearing his Robin domino mask as Nightwing.
    I don't know if a domino mask is the same. Loads of superheroes wear one. A better example would be like if Nightwing's costume was just a recolored Robin costume with the cape and R symbol. People wouldn't really like it. That is what the adult Kid Flash costume looks like to me.

Astonishing Member

Imagine Dick calling himself Batman while wearing pixie shoes and showing off his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Wow. I was expecting the poll to be a little tighter than this. So far, it's a blow out.
    You kind of split the dissenting opinion into two. There's not that much difference between 2008 and the 90s. Classic third party candidate. Still it was an obvious outcome. It's popular and every Barry focused fan would choose the one that makes him look the least like Barry. And Barry is WAY more popular than Wally.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-26-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I have always loved the shiny crimson with white eyes.
    If you HAD to make a change, change the gold to silver, but for me it's the PERFECT choice.
    Instantly recognisable as the Flash, but different enough to tell it isn't Barry.

And (this hurts to say) I have come to not mind Booth's design. That but with a closed cowl would also be a nice compromise.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post

And (this hurts to say) I have come to not mind Booth's design. That but with a closed cowl would also be a nice compromise.
    I’m trying to imagine that and, I’m not hating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I don't know if a domino mask is the same. Loads of superheroes wear one. A better example would be like if Nightwing's costume was just a recolored Robin costume with the cape and R symbol. People wouldn't really like it. That is what the adult Kid Flash costume looks like to me.
    i disagree, Wally's current costume is more or less exactly as different from kid Flash as Nightwing is from Robin. Both keep the headware, change the color scheme and logo, and boom there it is. Hell Wally's first kid flash suit was just tiny Barry, so take that where you will with this comparison. And that hair cowl thing is pretty common in other heroes too just as domino masks, so I can't agree there.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Considering just how right Wally looked in Speed Metal when he reverted to his 90s suit, that's definitely my pick.

I don't hate the Rebirth suit and it works in blue too but it will always be a distant second choice for me.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    i disagree, Wally's current costume is more or less exactly as different from kid Flash as Nightwing is from Robin. Both keep the headware, change the color scheme and logo, and boom there it is. Hell Wally's first kid flash suit was just tiny Barry, so take that where you will with this comparison. And that hair cowl thing is pretty common in other heroes too just as domino masks, so I can't agree there.
    It just feels like regression to me. If Wally has his Flash history back then I want him in a proper Flash costume. Him going back to something that is closer to his Kid Flash look feels like a step backwards. He is Flash and not Kid Flash in my eyes and I want his costume to reflect that I guess.