Page 65 of 126 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Wow that’s intensely ugly, I don’t even know what I’m looking at, it’s a muddled mess. And they modeled Aphrodite after Lizzo because of course they did. Hard pass

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Wow that’s intensely ugly, I don’t even know what I’m looking at, it’s a muddled mess. And they modeled Aphrodite after Lizzo because of course they did. Hard pass
    It's not as if, as a God, Aphrodite is bound to one look. And Jimenez explained the reason why.

Plus, if it's a size issue, Aphrodite was originally much curvier than the more thin supermodel depictions she gets now because of changing beauty standards.

Pretty sure Aphrodite was modeled after the Venus of Willendorf, one of the oldest statues know to human kind (predating Aphrodite as a recognized deity, actually) and is theorized to be a fertility goddess. Hence why she is called “Venus” despite that word not having existed 25,000 years ago.

Maybe her face was modeled after Lizzo (I don’t know who that is).
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-27-2021 at 02:46 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Drawing the line at body positivity in a franchise where Etta Candy exists is certainly a choice...

Incredible Member

I found learning about the Venus of Willendorf interesting.

I'll raise my hand to admit that this was a work of art that I wasn't familiar with.
    Always nice to learn something new.

I hadn't heard of the Venus of Willendorf before following updates of this book

I would say one of the best parts of books like these is that it can introduce us to things that were unfamiliar to us before.

Also, I thought Aphrodite looked closer to Yetide Badaki who played Bilquis on American Gods.

Olivier Coipel variant

Quote Originally Posted by gaius View Post
    olivier coipel variant

amazing!!!!!!!!!!
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

That's definitely the Lasso of Truth she's holding.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That's definitely the Lasso of Truth she's holding.
    Yeah. I saw Antiope had a lasso as part of her design, which I expected to be a homage to WW's iconic tool, but unless this is just an Easter Egg for an alternate cover, does Antiope have THE lasso?

Interesting that it belongs to the Artemis tribe and not Aphrodite or Hestia's.

The Lasso in George Perez's run was, iirc, created from Antiope's girdle so if that's the Lasso I imagine maybe that's why she starts out with it here.

Wow.
    I agree that the art is muddled, way too busy, and too visually convoluted [for me to enjoy]. However, ugly?? Not at all.

And sorry, but you can "accept" women who fly, shiny ropes that extract the truth from people, and ancient deities that embody war, strife and all kinds of abstract concepts, heck, you can accept superheroes in general, but draw the line at (GASP!) a fat goddess of love? Ok...

A plus-sized Aphrodite/Venus is not a modern concept. There's plenty of old paintings and sculptures depicting her as such.