Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

So Bury FC will not be reinstated back into the Football League next season after all. The other 71 clubs have voted against it mostly. There will undoubtedly be an element of self-interest there but it's probably the right decision. Allowing Bury back in sets a precedent that any club can potentially screw their finances up and only get served with a temporary expulsion from the League. If Bury are allowed an almost immediate second chance then why not everyone else in the future? Nah. I know that's harsh but there we go.

To be honest, applying for a place somewhere lower in the English football pyramid and building the club back up from scratch is probably the best outcome. It's ultimately helped other clubs in a similar situation in the long run.

And United? Yer an embarrassment.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

I am softy about Bury.

But admittedly, I am laughing myself crazy over Colchester beating Tottenham in the League Cup.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Been a while since I've posted but I do feel bad for Bury, what a horrible time to be a Shaker. Hopefully they'll end up coming back, even if they have to reform, in the Non-League somewhere. Though at least Bolton Wanderers were saved. I know WillieMorgan doesn't like the club but I don't like it when any club goes under. Even if it was Manchester United.

Having said that I am made up with how this weekend's football fixtures have worked out. Liverpool now have an 8-point lead in the Premier League thanks to a late, late penalty against Leicester and Wolves then doing us a huge favour by beating Man City 2-0. Looks like Man Utd are going to lose at Newcastle as well to make it a perfect weekend in terms of Premier League results for Liverpool.

Aloso, thanks to a shock loss at Livingston for Celtic, 2-0, Rangers are top of the Scottish Premier League following their emphatic 5-0 win today.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Wales got a decent draw last night against Croatia. Now we'll find out if England can bounce back from losing to Czech Republic by beating Bulgaria.

After all this international nonsense I'll be very happy to get back to proper football this weekend.

(Checks this weekends fixtures)

Oh hell. It's THAT game. I can't even watch it live as I've had to get shut of the sports channels after moving house (hence posting a lot less on here). Not sure if that'll be a blessing or a curse on Sunday.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

It was nice over the weekend to see someone connected to Liverpool FC finally acknowledge how crummy their behaviour was in relation to the Evra/Suarez incident a few years ago, in particular those despicable t-shirts. The guy had been caught red-handed and the deflectory tactics that the club used were pretty shocking. Cheers to Jamie Carragher for finally publicly apologising. I'm sure the club themselves never will.

It was also nice not to get a pasting like I'd been expecting.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

It's funny how things turn out sometimes. I can only imagine what the current Southampton manager, and no, I still don't know his name, would give to go back to those heady days of managing to eke out a draw against a very average Manchester United team.

No post match Jurgen Klopp-style posturing and punching the air on the pitch at the final whistle last night? No jumping around as if your team has just won the Premier League or something as opposed to merely dropping two points at home? No giving it the big 'I am'?

There's a phrase about reaping what you sew.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

It's the FA Cup First Round this weekend. I love the FA Cup, even though I enjoy the earlier rounds a lot more than the quarter finals onwards. I'll be watching Dulwich Hamlet v Carlisle Utd on TV tomorrow night.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I'd like to give a shout out to Seattle Sounders, who have just won the 2019 MLS Cup.

They defeated Toronto FC 3-1 in Seattle at the weekend in front of a crowd of over 69,000. It's their 2nd MLS Cup in four years. Congrats.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I'd like to give a shout out to Seattle Sounders, who have just won the 2019 MLS Cup.

They defeated Toronto FC 3-1 in Seattle at the weekend in front of a crowd of over 69,000. It's their 2nd MLS Cup in four years. Congrats.
    That game was immense.

The first hour was mostly Toronto-dominant. But Seattle scored first, and Toronto kind of deflated after that.

I went to see Stafford Rangers v South Shields yesterday. Stafford lost 2-1 and didn't really deserve to win but it was a pretty entertaining game. I do like going to see non league this time of year.

So, Pochettino out at Spurs and Mourinho in, of all people.

Quite big news that.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    So, Pochettino out at Spurs and Mourinho in, of all people.

Quite big news that.
    Really odd decision from Spurs. I know their form hasn't been great and their league position looks bad but Mourinho?? He always needs hundreds of millions to spend and he definitely won't be getting that at Spurs. He's looked miserable and disinterested in football since he took the United job. Poch to Bayern Munich now maybe? We shall see.

Oh, for heavens sake! Now these delusional morons are even attempting to infect the beautiful game:

Warning - Only watch if you are wearing a set of oven gloves as you WILL facepalm excessively. Flat Earthers really are the worst.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Really odd decision from Spurs. I know their form hasn't been great and their league position looks bad but Mourinho?? He always needs hundreds of millions to spend and he definitely won't be getting that at Spurs. He's looked miserable and disinterested in football since he took the United job. Poch to Bayern Munich now maybe? We shall see.
    Mourinho's track record as a manager also hardly inspires confidence if Spurs are hoping that he will lead the club for the long haul. His success rate as a manager is undeniable but his various appointments have all seemed to follow the same pattern. He initially brings success and silverware but then seems to attract more and more negativity as time passes until he ultimately outstays his welcome and gets sacked. Both times at the small London outfit, Internazionale, Real Madrid and obviously United. It seems to be the same story with him each time. If I was a club owner or director that was looking to make a long term appointment for my club I'd have serious reservations about the guy. His managerial stints don't tend to last long.

We are currently between two of the biggest club games in South America. The Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamerica competations are respectively South America's equivalents of the Champions League and Europa League. The Copa Libertadores final, between the current holders River Plate of Argentina and Rio giants Flamengo, is in Peru this coming weekend. I've watched both teams a lot recently and it's hard to pick a winner there.

The Copa Sudamerica final was last week. In it Colon de Santa Fe, also of Argentina, were surprisingly beaten by Independiente Del Valle of Equador. This is the equivalent of, say, Club Brugge or Slavia Prague lifting the Europa League. That kind of major upset is still very possible in the South American club game.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!