Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Yet another fantastic issue. Boy, this book is GOOD. I really hope Marvel wants to give Christopher Cantwell more work and that he's interested in taking it because he has the potential to be a top Marvel writer. Just based on this book alone, I'd pick up anything with his name on it.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Thanks for starting the review thread once more, Iron Maiden!

I really liked this issue, even more than the previous one which was really good. And according to the cast and the various plots involved, referencing most of Doom's mythos, I think it's a safe bet to say this book is gonna be great.

I especially liked Death's appearance here, but thinking not about Thanos but about Mephisto. It was good to see him being reminded of the true meaning of death. I always thought that he was too much infatuated by all his little theater of hell.
    Hi Abe. Glad to see you back. And I was actually a bit shocked by Mephisto being cowed by Mistress Death. I don't think I've read many stories where they've interacted because she is mostly linked to Thanos. Yeah, Mephisto cowering before her was good! I also have a few things to say about Savage Avengers later in the Doom thread. That story line is shaping up pretty well. Looks like we have the 3 Amigos of Victor, Stephen and Conan going on there

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yet another fantastic issue. Boy, this book is GOOD. I really hope Marvel wants to give Christopher Cantwell more work and that he's interested in taking it because he has the potential to be a top Marvel writer. Just based on this book alone, I'd pick up anything with his name on it.
    They should just let Cantwell have a blank check with this title as far as I'm concerned. Well, not financially but he shows a good grasps of the MU and its characters and they should just turn him loose. I can't say how much I liked that someone is finally doing something with the Valeria situation. IMO she should be freed from Hell too.

Yes. Cantwell is doing things right. Let's hope he plans freeing Valeria.

And I hope that my store will still have some issues of Savafe Avengers available: I completely forgot about that meeting!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Yes. Cantwell is doing things right. Let's hope he plans freeing Valeria.

And I hope that my store will still have some issues of Savafe Avengers available: I completely forgot about that meeting!
    I hope you can get it. So far it has been entertaining to see these 3, or I should say 4 if you count Strange's Cloak of Levitation, getting together.

Astonishing Member

I would say Doctor Doom#3 was better that the second issue,story wise.
    Art wise this issue have awesome art by Salvador Larroca.
    So i will be buying the fourth issue of Doctor Doom as well.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Another fine issue, although the sudden reincarnation of Doom after hell was a little too jarring. I had to go back and read it again, feeling like I missed a panel or two. Like there wasn't any hint of a pact between him and Death. Just her saying that "He will become my greatest servant of all." Which is not something he would agree to ... Doom serves no man or god. Then he wakes up. I was actually wondering if it had all been a dream or some enchantment that Morgana had created.

So Doom is going to either be the cause of the collapse of civilization, or be the savior.

One thing for sure, I'm anxious to see Doom take charge of his future again.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    So Doom is going to either be the cause of the collapse of civilization, or be the savior.
    Those two things might not be so mutually exclusive as you think.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Like there wasn't any hint of a pact between him and Death. Just her saying that "He will become my greatest servant of all." Which is not something he would agree to ... Doom serves no man or god.
    I've always liked that notion that no matter what characters like Doom do, in the final analysis their actions, intended or not, serve Death. She owns him, even if he would never admit that to himself. This is quite the development for someone who once thought himself above the cosmic order.

I don't agree with that. For one of Marvel's top villains for so many years, he doesn't have this high body count that say someone like Xorneto would have from just a few appearances. I don't think we know the whole picture of the Red Skull's activities during WWII but I'd have to think he could have been involved in a lot of deaths. He is far more an example of pure evil anyway.

Despite the abuse Doom's people suffered in Latveria, there were no mass executions in retribution, although he did kill King Vladimir as the primary source of that. If anything, Doom saved many lives, if not millions when he was able to prevent the Beyonders from wiping out the entire multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't agree with that. For one of Marvel's top villains for so many years, he doesn't have this high body count that say someone like Xorneto would have from just a few appearances. I don't think we know the whole picture of the Red Skull's activities during WWII but I'd have to think he could have been involved in a lot of deaths. He is far more an example of pure evil anyway.

Despite the abuse Doom's people suffered in Latveria, there were no mass executions in retribution, although he did kill King Vladimir as the primary source of that. If anything, Doom saved many lives, if not millions when he was able to prevent the Beyonders from wiping out the entire multiverse.
    There are ways to serve Death other than racking up a huge body count. Just as there are ways to serve Life without being directly responsible for the birthrate. Besides, I believe Death alluded to something that Doom will do, not what he has already done.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    There are ways to serve Death other than racking up a huge body count. Just as there are ways to serve Life without being directly responsible for the birthrate. Besides, I believe Death alluded to something that Doom will do, not what he has already done.
    Yes, that does sound like that. One wonders what she has planned if Thanos had to wipe out half the multiverse to get her attention. Doom even expressed a distaste for killing all the versions of the Molecule Man that the Beyonders set up as time bombs, saying that there was "little grace" in it. That's not to say he hasn't gone over the line in the past. A long time ago on another message board (the old arts.rec.marvel IIRC) someone theorized that when Doom absorbed the Power Cosmic that eventually it made him go mad, which we see building up in FF 196-200. I guess a few years in a straight jacket followed by a giant jolt of electricity cleared that up. Gotta love that comic book mental health care.

BANNED

I wonder what's up with Death interacting with mortals first Ben and now Doom. I also wonder whether Death and other cosmic entities like Mephisto and Ghost Rider(current king of hell though he was deposed after losing a race) are making a bid to increase their powers due to gearing up for something big or if it's just a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    I wonder what's up with Death interacting with mortals first Ben and now Doom. I also wonder whether Death and other cosmic entities like Mephisto and Ghost Rider(current king of hell though he was deposed after losing a race) are making a bid to increase their powers due to gearing up for something big or if it's just a coincidence.
    It's hard to tell if there is a coordinated plot thread or if it's just coincidence these days. In the Doctor Doom series, Symkaria is the taking an aggressive stance against Latveria and is taking advantage of Latveria being blamed for the Antlion sabotage. In ASM, it looks like Latveria is the aggressor and apparently the Antlion disaster hasn't occurred yet. In issue #1 of Doctor Doom, Cantwell does build in a 6 week gap between the newscast where Doom's appearance didn't go very well and the destruction of Antlion. I think both titles share are under Tom Brevoort's editorial supervision

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, that does sound like that. One wonders what she has planned if Thanos had to wipe out half the multiverse to get her attention. Doom even expressed a distaste for killing all the versions of the Molecule Man that the Beyonders set up as time bombs, saying that there was "little grace" in it. That's not to say he hasn't gone over the line in the past. A long time ago on another message board (the old arts.rec.marvel IIRC) someone theorized that when Doom absorbed the Power Cosmic that eventually it made him go mad, which we see building up in FF 196-200. I guess a few years in a straight jacket followed by a giant jolt of electricity cleared that up. Gotta love that comic book mental health care.
    I'm curious as well. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Death gave me the impression that it's not something that she plans, but rather something that Doom will plan and execute. She's just going to be a beneficiary of it all. Apparently, she's willing to break with the natural laws in order to permit Doom to live … at least until that unknown event occurs. If it happens in Doom's series, I may yet find a reason to renew my subscription. As of now I've canceled it.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Has Eternity interceded as much as Death has lately? It seems to me there should be a notion of cosmic balance.