Page 10 of 313 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Its fanmade comics like Lil Lads and JL8 that keep the adventure alive while DC themselves keep shooting their own feet.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Its fanmade comics like Lil Lads and JL8 that keep the adventure alive while DC themselves keep shooting their own feet.
    I don't read Superman or LoS, did aging up Jon finally pay off in some way?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I don't read Superman or LoS, did aging up Jon finally pay off in some way?
    Define paying off

The main purpose of aging up Jon is to make him join and be the main attraction of Legion of Superheroes while at the same time provide a fanservice call back to the old days when Clark joined Legion as a Superboy (and later Superman in 5G)

Bendis made Jor-El return with no explanation even when the last time we saw him he's taken away by Dr. Manhattan for revealing too much to Clark

The purpose of his return is to take Jon to his place, some kind of New Krypton, to learn about Krypton culture
    The purpose of that is so when he tried to return, he got lost in space for 7 years and return as a 17-year-old

Once that story's done, Jor-El is kidnapped again by Dr. Manhattan and sent back in time to Krypton's destruction, which I assume to be where he supposed to go when he was taken by Manhattan the first time

In the meantime, Clark was missing Jon and Lois dearly but Lois returned on her own because Jon is in good hands. The hands of the grandfather who, in his last appearance before his return was trying to make Clark and Jon quit Earth because he's rescued from Krypton by Manhattan to be placed on Earth at its worst so he lost hope in humanity and convince Clark to do the same.

Then once Jon return as a teenager, after a few bouts of awkward moments, I miss you, I miss your development and all that, for a short arc, the Legion came from the future to offer membership, and after some contemplation, they decided to let him go because Lois inexplicably feels Jon doesn't need them anymore

and off to the future he goes, landing in Planet Gotham and shenanigans ensue.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Define paying off

The main purpose of aging up Jon is to make him join and be the main attraction of Legion of Superheroes while at the same time provide a fanservice call back to the old days when Clark joined Legion as a Superboy (and later Superman in 5G)

Bendis made Jor-El return with no explanation even when the last time we saw him he's taken away by Dr. Manhattan for revealing too much to Clark

The purpose of his return is to take Jon to his place, some kind of New Krypton, to learn about Krypton culture
    The purpose of that is so when he tried to return, he got lost in space for 7 years and return as a 17-year-old

Once that story's done, Jor-El is kidnapped again by Dr. Manhattan and sent back in time to Krypton's destruction, which I assume to be where he supposed to go when he was taken by Manhattan the first time

In the meantime, Clark was missing Jon and Lois dearly but Lois returned on her own because Jon is in good hands. The hands of the grandfather who, in his last appearance before his return was trying to make Clark and Jon quit Earth because he's rescued from Krypton by Manhattan to be placed on Earth at its worst so he lost hope in humanity and convince Clark to do the same.

Then once Jon return as a teenager, after a few bouts of awkward moments, I miss you, I miss your development and all that, for a short arc, the Legion came from the future to offer membership, and after some contemplation, they decided to let him go because Lois inexplicably feels Jon doesn't need them anymore

and off to the future he goes, landing in Planet Gotham and shenanigans ensue.
    I do remember reading about some of that stuff.
    I meant it more in a "was aging up Jon worth screwing up the Superfamily and Super Sons dynamic?" way.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I meant it more in a "was aging up Jon worth screwing up the Superfamily and Super Sons dynamic?" way.
    I guess it depends on how much you're interested in Bendis Legion because it's not even the original Legion... and 5G

My answer's a flat no

Most comments from Legion fans point to a resounding NO. It doesn't help that Bendis changed continuity to give Clark's role in the history of it's creation to Jon. That was off putting.

Sales wise Legion 1 didn't perform on the level of SS and the Superman books aren't performing as well as under Tomasi with young Jon.

DC lost a ton of goodwill with ageing him up which they've done nothing to get back.

It has paid off with Conner fans since since Jon is gone there's a void for a Superboy for him to fill.
    It might have some pay=off storywise with the current identity reveal arc and with 5G

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Most comments from Legion fans point to a resounding NO. It doesn't help that Bendis changed continuity to give Clark's role in the history of it's creation to Jon. That was off putting.

Sales wise Legion 1 didn't perform on the level of SS and the Superman books aren't performing as well as under Tomasi with young Jon.

DC lost a ton of goodwill with ageing him up which they've done nothing to get back.

It has paid off with Conner fans since since Jon is gone there's a void for a Superboy for him to fill.
    It might have some pay=off storywise with the current identity reveal arc and with 5G
    Isn’t this current Connor like 22 not a boy

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Isn’t this current Connor like 22 not a boy
    I'm not sure. I thought he was a teenager.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

You're probably right about the goodwill thing. I don't read anything with Bendis name on it anymore. Aging up Jon made me not pick up Superman, making Tim Robin again with no explanation in YJ was weird and I gave up on Event Leviathan after issue two and only followed the story through reviews. I'm not familiar with the Legion so I wasn't interested in that book in the first place.

Is Bendis doing any fans of Tim's generation a favour? I remember people being really excited when the first issue came out but as far as I know the sales have dropped a lot and the story seems to go nowhere, he just keeps adding more members/guests to the book. Conner seems to be missing in the multiverse most of the time.

Have Conner and Clark even met since Conner came back?
    Last edited by Ansa; 01-08-2020 at 05:29 PM.

You're probably right about the goodwill thing. I don't read anything with Bendis name on it anymore. Aging up Jon made me not pick up Superman, making Tim Robin again with no explanation in YJ was weird and I gave up on Event Leviathan after issue two and only followed the story through reviews. I'm not familiar with the Legion so I wasn't interested in that book in the first place.

Is Bendis doing any fans of Tim's generation a favour? I remember people being really excited when the first issue came out but as far as I know the sales have dropped a lot and the story seems to go nowhere, he just keeps adding more members/guests to the book. Conner seems to be missing in the multiverse most of the time.

I follow Action and YJ. Dropped Superman and have never been a fan of LOS.

Action is good but YJ feels like it's going nowhere. I was expecting more but the story is pretty underwhelming. The characters aren't fleshed out and he keeps adding more. I would have dropped it but I want to see what he does with Sideways and Aqualad.

I don't think a lot of fans were happy with how he handled Tim's identity change and fans on social media [away from comic forums] seem to dislike the fact that the core 4 aren't getting focus and the use of Steph [I've enjoyed Steph so not an issue for me]

There's a lot of comparisons to the old YJ title which I feel stops fans from enjoying this for what it is. I don't blame fans for comparing since the current title leaned heavily on nostalgia in it's promotions.

I think YJ is going to be part of an upcoming arc in Superman where Clark and Conner will interact. I saw something on twitter

Incredible Member

Tbh for me when it comes to Tim’s gen I’m just glad Bendis hasn’t butchered their characterization. I haven’t even given thought to the plot cuz of that. I am still scarred from N52 TT to start complaining about plot when atleast the characterization is on point.

But yeah haven’t seen Bendis really hitting it on any corners of DC so far.

Kinda don’t wanna see how he writes Damian in LOSH #3.

Damian and Tim

Damian

https://doc-squash.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Tbh for me when it comes to Tim’s gen I’m just glad Bendis hasn’t butchered their characterization. I haven’t even given thought to the plot cuz of that. I am still scarred from N52 TT to start complaining about plot when atleast the characterization is on point.

But yeah haven’t seen Bendis really hitting it on any corners of DC so far.

Kinda don’t wanna see how he writes Damian in LOSH #3.
    I'm dreading it. I don't follow the title but I know I won't be able to resist checking it out.