Page 208 of 1884 FirstFirst ... 1081581982042052062072082092102112122182583087081208 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 28258
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    My Thoughts

Another cracking issue in this storyline and I can see why it is so popular. Under normal circumstances something like this would be considered to be the finale of an arc but not in the case of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Even after the X-Men have battled through the Hellfire Club and seemingly won now they face a threat that is truly awe inspiring and you truly think how are they going to get out of this one?

The writing and the art was its usual high standards as the X-Men turned the tide of the situation in their way and it just shows that even when they seem to be down they can rise up again and turn the tables on their opponents. None more so then when we thought that Jean was completely under the control of Mastermind. As we saw she was fine after what had happened in the Astral Plain. If it wasn’t for her the X-Men would have truly lost that battle and the Hellfire Club would be in control of her. But I wonder how long they would have been able to keep her under their control until the Dark Phoenix broke out of her. I think the situation would have been a lot more dire and maybe the X-Men would have been unable to help.

The issue also marks the first appearance of Dark Phoenix who is remembered mainly for her actions in the next few issues. They are things that still resonate even today when the Phoenix is referred to. Even the words that she speaks at the end of the issue are the exact same that she spoke at the beginning of X-Men #101 which seems like so long ago now. She is definitely an X-Men villain that has withstood the test of time and whenever you hear her name it will send a chill down your spine. I will talk a little more about her over the next few posts.

The little scene with Beast was somewhat touching as he considered himself to have a better connection with the X-Men rather than the Avengers. That just shows that he is still very loyal to the team and that he doesn’t truly feel that he fits in with the Avengers. I have no doubts that they treat him well but maybe Beast feels more at home with the X-Men not just because they are his original teammates but maybe because he is a mutant like them. Of course the Avengers are mainly empowered humans (Along with an Asgardian, mutant and android) but maybe he doesn’t see that it’s the same so doesn’t get the same kinship as he did with the X-Men.

Mastermind’s defeat was exactly what he deserved and I feel that this is the highest point that the character will ever get. Bearing in mind that before all this he was considered to be a minor threat and even a lackey. But Claremont and Byrne did an excellent job reinventing him into the villain that seems to have caused the destruction of the universe thanks to the fact that he has unwittingly released the Dark Phoenix. No longer will Mastermind just be considered Magneto’s lackey but a fully capable villain who now possesses a genuine threat to the X-Men.

Although Shaw states that he will make the X-Men public enemy number one I’m not entirely sure if that ever happened unless I’m forgetting something. Maybe it is something that got dropped by Claremont as he wrote all of the X-Men issues between now and 1992. It would have been fun to see the X-Men hunted down by the police and maybe even the Avengers (Much like the Ultimate War LS from the 2000s). I think there was something like that in the X-Men Forever series (Which I personally think is underrated) so we kind of had it there instead.

In conclusion I’m giving the issue a 9 out of 10. A great issue which leaves to think that the X-Men might very well be doomed.

Next Issue
    X-Men (Volume 1) #135
    I agree with most of your take here...except the part about X-Men Forever being underrated...I thought it was TERRIBLE.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    I agree with most of your take here...except the part about X-Men Forever being underrated...I thought it was TERRIBLE.
    Ok thanks for reading and the X-Men Forever thing was my personal opinion. I did like how Jean took out Mastermind, making him revert to the worm that he is.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    Ok thanks for reading and the X-Men Forever thing was my personal opinion. I did like how Jean took out Mastermind, making him revert to the worm that he is.
    I think the Dark Phoenix Saga is the greatest X-Men story ever...I can't think of any real fault in it...and I'm glad Marvel made them change the ending to have her die in the end because it wouldn't have been nearly as powerful a story if she lived.

BANNED

Which was part of my original point...if Jean is to come back to stay, her power levels would need to be brought down to reasonable levels...still impressive but not cosmic scale.

Are these levels reasonable enough

How many people have gone toe to toe with Galdiator and been honest contenders? I haven't seen many that I can think of. I know Cannonball got a good shot in one time but it was nothing like Jean's tussle.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    How many people have gone toe to toe with Galdiator and been honest contenders? I haven't seen many that I can think of. I know Cannonball got a good shot in one time but it was nothing like Jean's tussle.
    I think that Hulk and Colossus.

Astonishing Member

I think Bendis overdid it with that...I like the idea of Jeen's power increasing but I think that was a little too much too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Are these levels reasonable enough
    Depend what she can do with her power : I don't specialy want to see a pink-glowing She-Hulk...

I think Bendis overdid it with that...I like the idea of Jeen's power increasing but I think that was a little too much too soon.
    I already discussed by theory that, as this new power is about using the psionic energy floating around, it scales up with the power of other people. If there is no psionic users around, then she wont be much more powerful than usual. But if there is bunch of powerfull TP (or other psionic) throwing stuff at each others, then her power will be much stronger.

Well, i think that was because that power, in game terms, is a combo finisher; the longer the fight goes, or the more people involved in said fight, the stronger the power will be; in 1 vs 1 against Gladiator, that power wouldnt have been as strong.

The thing about Jean's esper form (points to you if you get the cross-geeky reference) is that it verifies Jean's powers are growing stronger in ways the X-Men never imagined, and this time they can't blame the Phoenix for it. So at this point they're kind of at a loss except to wait and see what happens.

And while her power levels skyrocket depending on the situation she's in she's not invincible. She was surrounded by a couple dozen active minds which boosted her power immensely, but Oracle was still able to shut the whole fight down by switching everybody off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Depends on what she can do with her power
    There's your answer in a nutshell, Narasinha

I don't specialy want to see a pink-glowing She-Hulk...
    Hahaha! Oh, stop it! That power stunt was hardly reminiscent of She-Hulk

I already discussed by theory that, as this new power is about using the psionic energy floating around, it scales up with the power of other people. If there is no psionic users around, then she wont be much more powerful than usual. But if there is bunch of powerfull TP (or other psionic) throwing stuff at each others, then her power will be much stronger.
    Fair enough. But, much like ariwl1 said... How many can PSIs can combine their TP/TK and whip Gladiator's ass in a matter of seconds; much less finish him off with a page from Superman's playbook?
    Last edited by ZNOP; 10-03-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post

There's your answer in a nutshell, Narasinha

Hahaha! Oh, stop it! That power stunt was hardly reminiscent of She-Hulk
    No, no, what I mean is that if this new power can only be used as a blunt, raw attack to knock people, that's not very interesting. It lacks "finesse". I hope Jeen will find other, more interesting way, of using it.

The thing about Jean's esper form (points to you if you get the cross-geeky reference) is that it verifies Jean's powers are growing stronger in ways the X-Men never imagined, and this time they can't blame the Phoenix for it. So at this point they're kind of at a loss except to wait and see what happens.
    And while her power levels skyrocket depending on the situation she's in she's not invincible. She was surrounded by a couple dozen active minds which boosted her power immensely, but Oracle was still able to shut the whole fight down by switching everybody off.
    Google is amazing.
    No, no, what I mean is that if this new power can only be used as a blunt, raw attack to knock people, that's not very interesting. It lacks "finesse". I hope Jeen will find other, more interesting way, of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Google is amazing.
    Cheater. But a winner. ;P

Creating a throne of broken men qualifies as finesse?

*Side note: So is that image the most grim thing Bruce Timm has ever drawn? It's gotta be up there.

Cheater. But a winner. ;P
    Creating a throne of broken men qualifies as finesse?
    *Side note: So is that image the most grim thing Bruce Timm has ever drawn? It's gotta be up there.
    I just HAD to know who this Esper was.
    I think it takes a combination of raw power and fine control to make the population of New York [the planet?] bow down forever and ever while she looks so sexy and so nonchalant about it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'