Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    To be fair, it doesn't help when writers such as Williamson make similar claims in regards to the comics.
    Which is one of the reasons why I have been back and forth on Williamson. I think he is moving in the right direction now as long as he doesn't back track again. There is no character development if the writers keep back tracking. The theme of Manapul's first arc (?) was "move forward." Cool... now let Barry move forward. Williamson's Barry is slightly mopey because he is trying way too hard to make him not like Wally (which goes back to my point about him trying too hard with the previous Flash mythos) when in reality they are different but not THAT different.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    People forget how bad Waid's middle run was too. Cobalt Blue? Eesh.
    Which MAY be a future issue with Williamson's run!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    To be fair, he was in a no-win situation.
    He was brought on after saying no repeatedly to Didio.
    Then, when he DID decide to take a swing (to prevent someone else 'fridging' Linda & the kids) the artist slated to work on the book pulled out LATE without warning.
    That's why those back up stories were in there.
    I'll admit, those issues weren't great - but damn, there's been PLENTY worse since then!
    I respectfully disagree. For me Waid's third run and Venditti's run are the two worst Flash runs in my lifetime. With FMA in third.

I am a Wally fan too. I still think the events of Infinite Crisis killed his story since there apparently was no plan. It definitely couldn't have been the horse aliens.
    Last edited by FlashEarthOne; 02-20-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    To be fair, it doesn't help when writers such as Williamson make similar claims in regards to the comics.
    I don't know if it was when he came back. Johns didn't write Barry like Wally even before the Flashpoint stuff started to kick in.

It was more when Barry started appearing in more media or made guest appearances. and they started to write him to fit Wally's niche.
    I think a Wally West book with King & Gerads would be great. Wally's got depths left to him as a family man that never got plumbed. Add in some time-travel mumbo jumbo, you've got a helluva book that a lot of people would want to read.

Yes, some wouldn't, but that's not how art works. Some people like stuff you don't.
    I don't disagree, but I don't think Tom King is the right choice to approach that topic.

(Or time travel...looking at you "The Gift").

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    I respectfully disagree. For me Waid's third run and Venditti's run are the two worst Flash runs in my lifetime. With FMA in third.

I am a Wally fan too. I still think the events of Infinite Crisis killed his story since there apparently was no plan. It definitely couldn't have been the horse aliens.
    Fastest Man Alive was pretty bad. I would say worse than Waid's final run with the character (was it his third? I only remember his original run and his return prior to leaving DC...).

Astonishing Member

People forget how bad Waid's middle run was too. Cobalt Blue? Eesh.
    Cobalt Blue is dumb. Every single other thing about Chain Lightning was awesome.

Waid wasn't much of a villain creator. He did everything else perfectly, though (and he was at his best using previously established villains, admittedly, though I do love Savitar).

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Fastest Man Alive was pretty bad. I would say worse than Waid's final run with the character (was it his third? I only remember his original run and his return prior to leaving DC...).
    Waid's final run was 6 competent issues that got churned out despite the absolute worst position. The artist flaked on him and he was forced to inject a weird backup story with a second artist that broke open his first run, so we essentially got two halves of a story shoved together in a book already slated for cancellation before the first book was even published.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Cobalt Blue is dumb. Every single other thing about Chain Lightning was awesome.

Waid wasn't much of a villain creator. He did everything else perfectly, though (and he was at his best using previously established villains, admittedly, though I do love Savitar).
    Thawne for the win .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    More importantly Venditti's run was awful and went WAY too long. At least FMA and Waid's third run were short! Venditti did nothing with the character/characters at all. His legacy was Wallace West... which...who knows.

Waid's final run was 6 competent issues that got churned out despite the absolute worst position. The artist flaked on him and he was forced to inject a weird backup story with a second artist that broke open his first run, so we essentially got two halves of a story shoved together in a book already slated for cancellation before the first book was even published.
    I apologize, I wasn't intending to judge Waid. I was just trying to point out how awful FMA was.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    More importantly Venditti's run was awful and went WAY too long. At least FMA and Waid's third run were short! Venditti did nothing with the character/characters at all. His legacy was Wallace West... which...who knows.
    And I guess New 52 Professor Zoom, and finally ending the mystery of "who killed Barry's mom and framed his dad," even if we didn't get the "real" Thawne back until Rebirth and anyone who knows enough about the Flash mythos knows who the culprit is.

(I really wonder if Manapul and Buccelato planned for the killer to be Daniel West. Or actually had any plan on resolving that mystery before they left).

I've been wanting Grant Morrison to do a nice long Flash run for years. It would be weird and beautiful and I would love every second of it.

Astonishing Member

The thing about Morrison is he's already done his Wally take and he's got his Barry take in the works. You have to give him something new and interesting to him to get him anywhere near a monthly book. Flash won't be that.

The thing about Morrison is he's already done his Wally take and he's got his Barry take in the works. You have to give him something new and interesting to him to get him anywhere near a monthly book. Flash won't be that.
    Where are we getting his Barry take?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    Where are we getting his Barry take?
    I think he may be referring to his sequel to Multiversity.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Great swaths of DC fans would be outraged to see the man who killed Wally off to receive writing duties on the first solo book starring Wally West in 8 years.

I'd think a more B list character such as Max Murcery or an antagonist such as Godspeed or Zoom would be a better fit for King.
    I will believe Wally's dead for good when the story is over. Until then, I'm not buying it. These are superhero comics. Superman died, too. He came back. Same with Batman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, and dozens more. As King keeps having to remind everyone, nobody stays dead in superhero comics.

Granted, that didn't stop people from freaking out about Superman dying either...

The enthusiasm King & Gerads have both expressed about Wally West is not PR. They both love the character.