Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Damage. With JSA ties and having been a Teen Titan, how could he not be one of my favorites??

Bat Lash. A lighter western character. Yin to Jonah's yang. Such a good character being left off the table. I really think DC should have an editor focus on their western characters and but out a small line of western titles.

Black Orchid. I would prefer taking her back to her Adventure Comics roots.
    Last edited by bretmaverick2; 03-26-2017 at 04:27 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Osiris also had it bad, though, especially how he fell into one bad luck streak after another, tried to become a Teen Titan, but prior unfortunate events painted him as too "potentially evil" that he was turned away, only to later be mercilessly killed off by someone he thought was his best friend, while tricked into being de-powered at the time, too, so he was humiliated twice deep.
    I felt like there was supposed to be something more to that whole event, like that Sobek was created/engineered to devour and absorb the power of the gods from Osiris, so that Sivana could tap into it and claim it for himself (in a way he'd never successfully done with the Big Red Cheese). But no. It was just a random gory spectacle, for no reason, like Prime razor-visioning Bushido in half (can't have been *heat* vision, there was blood everywhere!) and punching Pantha's head off.

Anywho, from the recent mentions, yes to Nightshade, my favorite under-utilized Charlton character! Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and Plastic Man have gotten a lot of play, but poor Nightshade needs love! (And Son of Vulcan, for that matter!)

Also Air Wave, very cool powerset, and hey, as long as we worked so hard to bring that *other* Hal Jordan back...

Elongated Man

Astonishing Member

Reminiscing about the E-2 book a bit so...

I loved Marella aka "Aquawoman" aka "I do not subscribe to that title the humans have given me."

Early Val-Zod was fun, though I wish they kept his pacifist ideology. And it'd be a nice way of keeping him and Karen around he'd be the smiles she'd be the punches. XD

I loved their take on Doctor Fate aka Khalid as well.

To a lesser extent I also really thought Terry Sloan aka Mister 8 was a creepy level of fun. Though the comic never could quite figure out what his motivation was before they killed him. I also really loved that he was from some unknown Earth and I honestly felt he was Ozymandias for a while as that would've been a great twist.

There are a few characters I will buy the comic on sight.

Metal Men - I love the silver age chemistry of the team
    Doom Patrol - own every issue(except the first run that started in My Greatest Adventure). Still working on the current iteration
    Challengers of the unknown - Adventurers without powers; underused; I think of them as the Fantastic Four without powers
    Metamorpho - too many knockoffs recently but loved the original
    Kamandi - my favorite alternative world. Jack Kirby at his DC best, IMO
    Jonah Hex - best played as a straight forward western. Once it gets too mystical, it looses its distinctive flavor(to me)
    Freedom Fighters - Love me some team comics. Unique characters with specific powers set in an alternative world. Like most of my favorite lesser known characters, they are at their best when they have little to no interaction with the rest of the DC universe
    Last edited by etrumble; 03-27-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Astonishing Member

Speaking of the JSA again, I think I mentioned Wild Cat's son, Wild Cat II/Tomcat (and if not, I mentioned it now), but I also quite liked King Chimera. In spite of his stand-offish behavior and demeanor, he was quite the charismatic and cool character, and though he didn't get all the focus in the world (and alas, who could on a team of that size), what focus he did get often turned out some really compelling stories about him. I would love to see him again, and to see how he'd interact with his elusive father.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I felt like there was supposed to be something more to that whole event, like that Sobek was created/engineered to devour and absorb the power of the gods from Osiris, so that Sivana could tap into it and claim it for himself (in a way he'd never successfully done with the Big Red Cheese). But no. It was just a random gory spectacle, for no reason, like Prime razor-visioning Bushido in half (can't have been *heat* vision, there was blood everywhere!) and punching Pantha's head off.
    If the writer hate thing is true, "gory spectacle" was likely the purpose behind such a shameful end to a tragic conga line. Speaking of, neither Bushido nor Pantha deserved such horrible and incongruous ends. The former in particular I recall really had a lot of potential character and personality-wise. He had his own compelling intro story, but after joining the Titans, he kinda went the way that Eddie would later on. I couldn't say which is worse.

That they felt the need to off probably one of their only Japanese characters they had at the time in such a way is definitely disconcerting.

Astonishing Member

I think we could write a whole book about the underuse of the JSA characters, especially the legacies.

Roxy, Cyclone, Lightning and Jakeem were often relegated to background cameos after a while.

And we didn't get much out of her but Red Beetle/Sarah Butters seemed like she could be interesting since she patterned herself after Ted. Would've been fun to have her be a character in Jaime's book.

Tommy Monaghan, he is my second favorite DC character, after only Superman. Hitman is a amazing series, I would love to see Tommy again, but the it had such a good ending I don't know if it would be the best idea to bring it back, plus the only one I wanna writting it is Garth Ennis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Speaking of the JSA again, I think I mentioned Wild Cat's son, Wild Cat II/Tomcat (and if not, I mentioned it now), but I also quite liked King Chimera. In spite of his stand-offish behavior and demeanor, he was quite the charismatic and cool character, and though he didn't get all the focus in the world (and alas, who could on a team of that size), what focus he did get often turned out some really compelling stories about him. I would love to see him again, and to see how he'd interact with his elusive father.

If the writer hate thing is true, "gory spectacle" was likely the purpose behind such a shameful end to a tragic conga line. Speaking of, neither Bushido nor Pantha deserved such horrible and incongruous ends. The former in particular I recall really had a lot of potential character and personality-wise. He had his own compelling intro story, but after joining the Titans, he kinda went the way that Eddie would later on. I couldn't say which is worse.

That they felt the need to off probably one of their only Japanese characters they had at the time in such a way is definitely disconcerting.
    Tomcat was awesome. I currently have him ranked as my 78th favorite hero. King Chimera though? Nah, he never really struck the right cord with me. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that in JSA All-Stars, Maxine, my FAVORITE JSA member, had to share most of her panel time with him.

The slaughter of the Teen Titans in Infinite Crisis was god awful, and one of the few times I've had to put down a comic in sheer disgust. Sobek's killing of Osiris though? THAT I think was one of the most well done plot twists DC has ever done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I think we could write a whole book about the underuse of the JSA characters, especially the legacies.

Roxy, Cyclone, Lightning and Jakeem were often relegated to background cameos after a while.
    Man, I would kill for a book where Stargirl leads a team consisting of Maxine, Jakeem, Tomcat, Lightning, and Damage, Red Beetle maybe coming in later to actually get some personality and development.

Astonishing Member

Tomcat's always been one of those characters I find hard to like, well sort of. I think a similar related character Wildcat II/Yolanda Montez or the version in E-2 had a better transformation/cat theme thing going.

I liked that she was enhanced but after losing her connection to the red she only had some heightened abilities/senses and could make her nails into claws.

I wasn't really much of a fan of Tom's werecat design but I liked himself enough. So if the two were to be brought back IE Tom Bronson and Yolanda Montez I'd like them to similarly have enhanced abilities and able to make claws but that's about it. I think the werecat form as a normal thing is too much especially if conencted to Wildcat who like Batman has the whole badass normal thing as his shtick.

Maybe save the werecat form as something Tom or both could do when in an extremely angered state similar to Wolverine's berserker rage. But not soemthing they do normally or really control.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Tomcat's always been one of those characters I find hard to like, well sort of. I think a similar related character Wildcat II/Yolanda Montez or the version in E-2 had a better transformation/cat theme thing going.

I liked that she was enhanced but after losing her connection to the red she only had some heightened abilities/senses and could make her nails into claws.

I wasn't really much of a fan of Tom's werecat design but I liked himself enough. So if the two were to be brought back IE Tom Bronson and Yolanda Montez I'd like them to similarly have enhanced abilities and able to make claws but that's about it. I think the werecat form as a normal thing is too much especially if conencted to Wildcat who like Batman has the whole badass normal thing as his shtick.

Maybe save the werecat form as something Tom or both could do when in an extremely angered state similar to Wolverine's berserker rage. But not soemthing they do normally or really control.
    For me, I actually really like Tom's Werecat form. I just thought it looked cool. Even despite how different artists had different takes on it, I pretty much always ended up liking how it looked. I appreciated the dichotomy that his powers brought with his dad, too, as that was always part of Tom's appeal.

If/when he shows up again, I'd definitely want it to be with his complete Werecat form and powers.

Also, at least as far as Tom was concerned, he inherited his powers from his mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Speaking of - Lesser Known Characters -The character and world building at Fawcett was extensive, for example..... Shazam's Squadron of Justice / Fawcett City Crusaders.
    Using updates of this team.

Updated Ms. Scarlet.
    With the SHAZAM revival, I'd really like to see them back!
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-06-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Because i want DC to explore their street level corner beyond Batman, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow & Nightwing.
    Would love to see her back!

Yet there is a streak of fandom who can't stand to see her even mentioned, wants her irredeemably vilified and erased from existence.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2018 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Would love to see her back!

Yet there is a streak of fandom who can't stand to see her even mentioned, wants her irredeemably vilified and erased from existence.

I freakin' loved Tarantula.

Yes. I was reading Nightwing during "that" time too.
    Batman - Daredevil