Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

the flash is nearing it's 700th issue?

I love how Barry has a picture of him and Hal together on his nightsand .

Also cool to see Flash taking a leading role in a Lego movie .

Not having Hal there is kind of lame. He would've been the only one to believe Barry is innocent. I don't mind Firestorm or Dr. Fate in a Lego movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love how Barry has a picture of him and Hal together on his nightsand .

Also cool to see Flash taking a leading role in a Lego movie .
    i'd really like to see the rest of the league take lego center stage.

of course i'd like to see hal next.

Whatever happens. Happens TheNomadicOne's Avatar

Hi everyone. Just recently I've become a massive fan of the Flash and his mythos. I grew up with Wally West from the JL show and at the moment i'm reading Mark Waids run. However, my love truly grew after watching the CW tv show. I have to admit it is difficult seeing some camps loving wally more than Barry or vice versa as they are both my flashes. Nonetheless I love Barry Allen and I would love to know where I should start to reading his Flash run.

Should I go all the way from the silver age? The new 52 run or start from Flash rebirth (Geoff Johns) or the current comics.

Also do you guys like the idea that Barry is the generator of the speed force?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNomadicOne View Post
    Hi everyone. Just recently I've become a massive fan of the Flash and his mythos. I grew up with Wally West from the JL show and at the moment i'm reading Mark Waids run. However, my love truly grew after watching the CW tv show. I have to admit it is difficult seeing some camps loving wally more than Barry or vice versa as they are both my flashes. Nonetheless I love Barry Allen and I would love to know where I should start to reading his Flash run.

Should I go all the way from the silver age? The new 52 run or start from Flash rebirth (Geoff Johns) or the current comics.

My recommendation is to always start with his first appearance just to get a feel for his origin. There are a ton of reprints around of Showcase 22 (I think?)

Then while there are a lot of good silver age stories you can probably skip most of them. I personally collected anything with Green Lantern or Reverse Flash showing up...

Then get JLA: Year One and Flash/Green Lantern Brave and the Bold TPB.

Those will get you a real good feel for Barry Allen.

After that... I don't know, the Highlights probably are Crisis on Infinite Earth for his death.... Flash Rebirth for his return (kind of... Skip Final Crisis because it's terrible) then probably Flashpoint on for his modern stuff... but I find that pretty stuff pretty far removed 'classic Barry' myself. But it's all we have.

Welcome! It’s always great to see fellow Flash fans! Like you, I love the mantle of The Flash and each carrier of it. My favorite is Jay , but I love Barry and Wally as well.
    Phantom offered some great recommendations. There are several silver age collections that are fairly cheap you would probably enjoy. As for the newest run by Joshua Williamson, I think it’s fantastic! It starts out slow, but stick with it because Williamson has given us the best modern take on Barry Allen, and one of the better written Barry Allen comics since his return in Final Crisis. Skip the new 52 run as it was complete garbage.

Thank you FlashFreak and phantom1592 for where to begin. I just finished Showcase #4 and it felt rather pleasant to read. I read Flash Rebirth a while ago and while I liked it initially, after reading some Wally West Flash, I started not liking the idea of Barry being the generator to the speed force. It's kind of like when Star Wars introduced midichlorians.

Anyways back to Barry Allen, what drew me towards him as a character is similar to my favorite superhero, Superman, he is humble, kind, and somewhat down to earth. I guess I was raised more traditional where the simplicities of life are what makes life worth living, but I actually really like Barry's personality because he reminds me of myself and some other people as with all of the Flashes.

I would recommend starting with Geoff Johns' run of Barry. It starts with Flash: Rebirth goes into Flash Volume 3 and ends with Flashpoint. The Dastardly Death of the Rouges storyline from Flash Volume 3 is one of my favourite Flash storylines and if you like the Flash CW show, I think you will like Flashoint because it is the basis for the start of Season 3. Then I would reccomend you start reading the current Flash series.

I don't think you should start from the Silver Age, but I would recommend reading Silver Age Flash stories. There are a couple of trades out now that collect part of Flash's Silver Age run.
    Last edited by KC; 12-30-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Comicfan111 View Post
    I would recommend starting with Geoff Johns' run of Barry. It starts with Flash: Rebirth goes into Flash Volume 3 and ends with Flashpoint. The Dastardly Death of the Rouges storyline from Flash Volume 3 is one of my favourite Flash storylines and if you like the Flash CW show, I think you will like Flashoint because it is the basis for the start of Season 3. Then I would reccomend you start reading the current Flash series.

I don't think you should start from the Silver Age, but I would recommend reading Silver Age Flash stories. There are a couple of trades out now that collect part of Flash's Silver Age run.
    Should I read the New 52? I know FlashFreak said nah but I would like other opinions if that's ok.

Should I read the New 52? I know FlashFreak said nah but I would like other opinions if that's ok.
    If you're going to read any New 52 Flash, I would read just the Manapul/Buccelato run since that's the strongest New 52 run pre-Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If you're going to read any New 52 Flash, I would read just the Manapul/Buccelato run since that's the strongest New 52 run pre-Rebirth.
    What about the run after manapul? Should I get caught up with that run as well (it introduces the other Wally after all)