Fantastic Member

Default Will We Ever See a Complete Reprinting of the Golden Age Captain America Comics?

Hi all,

Guess my header kind of gives away the subject matter, but as a longtime fan of Captain America I have been left wondering if there will ever be a concerted effort by Marvel to represent ALL of Cap's Golden Age run? Have there been any announcements about a Volume Two Omnibus or a continuation of the Marvel Masterworks G.A. re-printings?

Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Hi all,

Guess my header kind of gives away the subject matter, but as a longtime fan of Captain America I have been left wondering if there will ever be a concerted effort by Marvel to represent ALL of Cap's Golden Age run? Have there been any announcements about a Volume Two Omnibus or a continuation of the Marvel Masterworks G.A. re-printings?

Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated!
    All of Marvel's Golden Age and Atlas era Marvel Masterworks were discontinued because sales weren't high enough so it's unlikely that we'll see any more of them in the near future.

Incredible Member

I think Captain America has a shot at a second omnibus at some point since the masterworks were already released so no need to clean up material. It has name recognition over some of the other golden age stuff. I'd probably buy it but not right away since it's missing Kirby (at least I think he wouldn't be in the next volume). I bought the first volume as I'm a big Kirby fan so having his Captain America in 3 different areas is great. (golden/silver omnibus and the new MMW's for the Bronze age cap).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

As noted there is nothing definite as solicited or even teased by Marvel of a second Captain America Golden Age Omni.
    However, as far as GA material goes and the amount of media exposure Cap has it's the likeliest bet of them all to eventually happen.

I'm also rooting for it to become reality.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Like others have stated, I think a second omni is slightly possible because it'd just be repackaging of existing material. But even then, the first volume languished in bargain bins for a long time before finally going OOP. Plus if they're going to put out another Cap omni, there's so many other things they could do, be it reprints of Brubaker or a Silver Age v3, etc... that putting out GA vol 2 would not get a lot of folks exited.

I think the only hope here is if Marvel can see what DC has been doing with its Golden Age collections (Supes, Bats, WW and Green Arrow) and decide they need to get back into that market. I'm not sure how many more MMWs or whatever they'd need to do to get Cap up to the Atlas Age, but it could be doable if they put their mind to it. And like others said, I agree that of all GA material at Marvel, Cap probably has the best shot of continuing at some point. Even if it wasn't a full on MMW or Omni, but some kind of thick TPB, I think it could have legs.

Lots of folks have wondered what if Marvel tried to put out another GA or even Atlas Age MMW, perhaps raised the price a little to help cover the reproduction costs, and see if that would fly. Cap GA vol 7 perhaps. DC is doing this - their previously released omnis that covered material already updated via the Archives in the past, those sold for $45 (after discounts), but once they hit the wall where Archives stopped, they are now continuing to release those omnis but at a higher cost (around $65 vs $45, depending on title). People are buying them and they (DC) are continuing to create them, so I would think they are at least making a tiny bit of $; so maybe Marvel will see that and decide to go back to that well. You never know. There's just SO MUCH material for them to possible release from all different eras, they have to focus on what's more profitable, and in the past GA material wasn't as much so.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I would also very much like to see a Vol. 2 Omnibus of the Cap GA material as I have Vol. 1. The first Omnibus didn’t have overly impressive sales figures and it looks very doubtful that we'll see a Vol. 2. The only reason I can see it happening is if we see a new set of Cap movies announced.

Another omnibus would be nice, but maybe a series of Epics are more likely, eventually.

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

Honestly, after such a long hiatus on any GA Captain America material that hasn't already been reprinted, I would welcome any format Marvel chose just as long as we get it released finally. I already have the the MMW series of Golden Age Captain America volumes 1-6, and anything beyond Captain America #24 would be absolutely outstanding in my estimation.