Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    And what happened that made him think that?

You don't think world famous famous artist, Jae Lee, doing a cover for EVS - which EVS directly linked to Comicsgate on twitter - would be a news story? Going to disagree there.
    What happened was King made an assumption that he didn’t verify. King did something wrong and started this. If King validated the claims he made, we aren’t here right now.

And you’re hypothesis is wrong because nobody was talking about Lee doing a cover until King brought it up on his twitter rant. So there was no news story until King acted like an idiot.

Extraordinary Member

And for anyone who thinks King didn’t screw up badly....

2661B50B-AE16-4B99-A428-B917C1044257.jpg

Great artist for the book, writer....yeah no.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    King implied that Lee is part of a hate group.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You know this isn't about technicalities. And he didn't "just say the guy did a cover." He insinuated Lee's association with a hate group, expressed his deep disappointment that Lee was hired, then totally disavowed Lee's work by saying the other cover was the only cover in his mind. Or did he not do that?
    Again though, where is the false accusation here? He said Lee did a cover for CG, a hate group, and wants no part with that. None of this is false. Mistanding are going to happen if he did do work for a hate group. Even if he didn’t know and was just doing pay for hire work. There are no false accusation here. No one wants to be associated with CG even indirectly. Did Lee publicly denounce CG before King’s tweet or something? Is that what I’m missing here?
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-28-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Again though, where is the false accusation here? He said Lee did a cover for CG, a hate group, and wants no part with that. None of this is false. Mistanding are going to happen if he did do work for a hate group. Even if he didn’t know and was just doing pay for hire work. There are no false accusation here. No one wants to be associated with CG even indirectly. Did Lee publicly denounce CG before King’s tweet or something? Is that what I’m missing here?
    Yes, there is. King was trying to cancel someone; that is ruin his career and life. He is a horrible person, and if I were DC, I wouldn't want him working for me. The accusation was indeed false in its implications; that Lee was a knowing racist. This from a guy trying to cancel a minority artist.

The insinuation by King in his post was that Lee was allied with or at least tolerant of the CG philosophy. That's where the false accusation comes in. He doesn't outright say it but he didn't need to, it was apparent in his angry denouncement of the cover, and thus the reckless damage was done.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

What an absolutely unnecessary episode this has been. King is a great writer and Lee is a great artist. How a great artist creating a variant cover for a great writers new book evolved into the issue this has become is beyond stupid.

King tried to virtue signal a bit too hard didn't do his research and risked the career of a man he didn't even have the decency to reach out to. Jae Lee drew a variant cover for a group that he probably didn't do his full research on and by default ends up appearing to endorse some issues he probably doesn't believe in. Both messed up but King is more at fault because he wanted to play "white Knight" and ended up looking like Don Quixote fighting windmills instead. All he had to do was reach out to Lee instead he dragged him publicly to make himself look like a "hero" What is amazing to me is how King and many in the comics industry feel that they have the moral authority to call out anyone even loosely associated with cg. CG is full of idiots but a bunch of writers who all happily did or work for companies like disney, warner brothers and have their stuff sold on amazon, have no room to talk. Look deep enough at any of the larger business behind these comic companies and you will find employment practices, harassment and mistreatment of workers suits against those companies that make your skin crawl. Does associate with those companies mean that the writers by association are guilty of these infractions as well? Lee is an artist who took a job in during a rough economy in an industry that is facing all kinds of challenges. Unless the people criticizing him are consistent and refuse to do any business with any company that violates any standard of fair treatment then they have no room to talk or judge. Now if Jae Lee was fully associated with CG and made offensive statements and things such as that there may be a point to be made here but again all anyone had to do was ask Lee about it and instead of doing that everyone is in such a rush to look like a hero on twitter that they end up almost destroying someone's career.

We have all become so obsessed with dealing with everything in absolutes and blaming anyone who is even loosely associated with anything we disagree with as "evil". How about we judge people by their actions, words, deeds and the way they treat people rather than trying to destroy and cancel anyone who is even loosely associated with people we don't agree with.
    Last edited by regg215; 07-28-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The insinuation by King in his post was that Lee was allied with or at least tolerant of the CG philosophy. That's where the false accusation comes in. He doesn't outright say it but he didn't need to, it was apparent in his angry denouncement of the cover, and thus the reckless damage was done.
    King posted that Lee did work for them, which he did. What that insinuates isn't on King. And honestly its something Lee probably should have gotten ahead of so misunderstanding like this doesn't happen.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-28-2020 at 03:38 PM.

The good thing about all this is that future creators will likely vet all work offers from independent creators from now on. So, it is going to be hard for CGers to get established creators on their projects.

Looks like Tom King won again! Make sure to buy his Adam Strange series!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    King posted that Lee did work for them, which he did. What that insinuates isn't on King. And honestly its something Lee probably should have gotten ahead of so misunderstanding like this doesn't happen.
    Its absolutely on King. The anger and admonition in his post told the tale. In a court of law he wouldn't be able to actually be convicted of libel (I did use that term once but that was my mistake, he didn't outright make a libelous claim), but that's rather beside the point. No one is calling on him to be charged for a crime. They're just calling what he did a dick move, and it was.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-28-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

How is that on King? That insinuation naturally stems from doing work for them, its not something King created.

And it was a false and reckless assumption. That's why its on him. In any case I'm burnt out on the topic now. Hopefully with the apology, the mess is over. I'm not "canceling" him or anything, I find that to be a rather crap movement these days in its own right. He screwed up, apologized for it, and hopefully things move on.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-28-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And it was a false and reckless assumption
    Yeah it’s kind of dumb at this point. King publicly apologized and acknowledged he screwed up. Don’t know why people are invested in defending him for something so obvious

What people assume from doing work for CG isn't on King. He stated a fact, and he tried to protect his own work from the assumptions that comes along with that fact. How this has spun back on King is rather interesting.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-28-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I hope he's genuine at his word and learns a very valuable lesson from this and tries to be better and do better. I'm sure he's not cancelled or lost his very lucrative writing job...or any of his ardent supporters (obviously)
    But...
    He's still listed in my personal "Cancelled" book...along with Bendis, Guggenheim and a few others...whose books I will never, ever support, even if they were the last writers in the galaxy.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-28-2020 at 04:11 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!