Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=WebSlingWonder;4349469]So it's baby steps, but back on track for character progression. Anyone else?[/QUOTE
    Character.progression is important. But Slott succeeded in angering me with characters like Alpha and especially Silk, so I stopped comics until he left. His run is like Clooney in Batman & Robin which sucked, while Keaton ( before) and Bale ( later( were great.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Some people feel like the breakup of MJ and Pete's marriage caused them not to read Spider-Man after that but was there anyone that enjoyed and still enjoys despite One More Day? Anyone that actually like One More Day?
    I don't like OMD as a story nor the whole concept with Peter and MJ "selling" their marriage, but I don't hate the story either. I just think it was poorly crafted and stretched, and personally would have prefered another way of ending the marriage (divorce), but I have enjoyed a lot of what Slott did with the character once BND started. I have a lot of catching up to do, but so far I'm a big fan of New Ways To Die; Big Time (New Hobgoblin, Marla's death. I have yet to read No one dies); Spider-Island (which I had pretty low expectations because I didn't like the concept and I ended up enjoying a lot); Ends of the Earth; the death of Peter and the beggining and ending of Superior Spider-Man (I'm missing some issues in between); Spider-Verse and some minor arcs Slott wrote. The only arc I disliked a lot by Slott was the first story with Peter back in his body after the end of Superior Spider-Man
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-10-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I don't like OMD as a story nor the whole concept with Peter and MJ "selling" their marriage, but I don't hate the story either. I just think it was poorly crafted and stretched, and personally would have preferred another way of ending the marriage (divorce), but I have enjoyed a lot of what Slott did with the character once BND started. I have a lot of catching up to do, but so far I'm a big fan of New Ways To Die; Big Time (New Hobgoblin, Marla's death. I have yet to read No one dies); Spider-Island (which I had pretty low expectations because I didn't like the concept and I ended up enjoying a lot); Ends of the Earth; the death of Peter and the beginning and ending of Superior Spider-Man (I'm missing some issues in between); Spider-Verse and some minor arcs Slott wrote. The only arc I disliked a lot by Slott was the first story with Peter back in his body after the end of Superior Spider-Man
    Oh I really disliked that first arc too. Volume 3 as a whole (besides "Spider-Verse") was just awful filler to me.

[QUOTE=NC_Yankee;4349483]
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    So it's baby steps, but back on track for character progression. Anyone else?[/QUOTE
    Character.progression is important. But Slott succeeded in angering me with characters like Alpha and especially Silk, so I stopped comics until he left. His run is like Clooney in Batman & Robin which sucked, while Keaton ( before) and Bale ( later( were great.
    An apt description haha

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I don't like OMD as a story nor the whole concept with Peter and MJ "selling" their marriage, but I don't hate the story either. I just think it was poorly crafted and stretched, and personally would have prefered another way of ending the marriage (divorce), but I have enjoyed a lot of what Slott did with the character once BND started. I have a lot of catching up to do, but so far I'm a big fan of New Ways To Die; Big Time (New Hobgoblin, Marla's death. I have yet to read No one dies); Spider-Island (which I had pretty low expectations because I didn't like the concept and I ended up enjoying a lot); Ends of the Earth; the death of Peter and the beggining and ending of Superior Spider-Man (I'm missing some issues in between); Spider-Verse and some minor arcs Slott wrote. The only arc I disliked a lot by Slott was the first story with Peter back in his body after the end of Superior Spider-Man
    You are far kinder then me. If I would rank the worst Spider-Man stories ever. Two of them: OMD/BND and Silk ( both by Dan Slott) were Numbers 1 & 3 of my hate list. (Sins Past, another story which needs to go away is Number 2). The best thing I can say for Slott's time is it makes me appreciate Spencer even more.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I was willing to stick around because a lot of the concepts and ideas intrigued me, but I always had it in the back of my mind, "This would be so much better without a literal Faustian pact hanging around like the Sword of Damocles waiting to drop," or, "This would be so much better if Peter and Mary Jane were still married and Aunt May still knew her nephew was Spider-Man and fully supported him in that."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The books continued after One More Day, so a lot of people kept reading.

Personally, I think One More Day was an imperfect way to do something necessary: end the marriage without death or divorce.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Personally, I think One More Day was an imperfect way to do something necessary: end the marriage without death or divorce.
    I still feel like if they really didn't want the marriage anymore, they should've said screw it and just divorced them. The stories in BND and onward would've progressed pretty much exactly the same anyway, and it just feels like them taking the easy way out, to both protect and dismiss the marriage, and to give them a reverse button if they so feel like it.

For me personally, while I do really hate the story, it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of all the other stories afterward. There's a lot I love about them, and even though he's not perfect I think I like Slott more than others here, he has done more great than bad in my eyes.

omd is like when you need some tools to fix something so you go to home depot and bring back the biblical flood but hey at least you got that sweet ark
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

From Superior onward, it didn't bother me. I was angry at the time not so much because of the marriage being dissolved (I feel Marriage Era MJ was actually a boring character whose relevancy was far too dependent upon Peter, ditto her agency) rather because of the story which dissolved it. Magical retcons should typically be avoided the execution of OMD simply proves my point because of how poorly plotted and convoluted it was.

Edit - As another user posted first and foremost I am a Spider-Man/Peter Parker fan. I'll remain a Spidey mark no matter if he is single, married, or engaged. His realtionship status with MJ (or anyone else) makes no difference.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-10-2019 at 05:07 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I don't think One More Day was even that bad of a story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I don't think One More Day was even that bad of a story.
    Didn’t I see you complaining about it in a another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Why was it necessary? (I don't agree at all, as I'm sure my posting history will show, but I am curious why you think so. Consider it me interesting in getting a different perspective on things.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why was it necessary? (I don't agree at all, as I'm sure my posting history will show, but I am curious why you think so. Consider it me interesting in getting a different perspective on things.)
    I went into a few of the advantages of Peter Parker being single (not married) in an earlier thread.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ghlight=single

This was primarily about what was best for the series under particular constraints (IE- it's a serial with no end in sight.)

Death & divorce had too many drawbacks. Killing off MJ is just too many tragedies for Peter, and a divorce would come with bad publicity, be hard to pull off narratively, and age a character who is supposed to be relatively young. Death & divorce would also be something that's expected to come up in the series now and then, so it's hard to sidestep.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

divorce =
    deal with devil =
    troo fan or death