Page 245 of 824 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246247248249255295345745 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,675 of 12353

A Young Swordsman Faces an Uncertain Future in African-Inspired Fantasy Epic The Rage of Dragons

According to author Evan Winter’s official bio, the British-born son of South African parents was inspired to start writing when his own son was born, and “he realized that there weren’t many epic fantasy novels featuring characters who looked like him.” His African-inspired debut The Rage of Dragons helps fill that void, and io9 is thrilled to share an excerpt from the epic tale.

First, here’s a brief summary of Winter’s novel:

The Omehi people have been fighting an unwinnable fight for almost two hundred years. Their society has been built around war and only war. The lucky ones are born gifted. One in every two thousand women has the power to call down dragons. One in every hundred men is able to magically transform himself into a bigger, stronger, faster killing machine.

Everyone else is fodder, destined to fight and die in the endless war.

Young, gift-less Tau knows all this, but he has a plan of escape. He’s going to get himself injured, get out early, and settle down to marriage, children, and land. Only, he doesn’t get the chance.

Those closest to him are brutally murdered, and his grief swiftly turns to anger. Fixated on revenge, Tau dedicates himself to an unthinkable path. He’ll become the greatest swordsman to ever live, a man willing to die a hundred thousand times for the chance to kill the three who betrayed him.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-young-swor...can-1834613144

Yes, you read that right. His name is Evan Winter and his novel has women who control dragons.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-22-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    It's literally my favorite series at DC at the moment, and it's perhaps one of the only series who sales have increased per issue. Bendis, Walker, and Campbell really knocked it out of the park.
    For DC-that is a YES.

The trade comes out in October and is already ranking rather high on Amazon trades. Even on Kindle it's doing well.

I FULLY expect DC to clean up with her on trades. Shuri & Moon Girl certainly have.

So I was wasting my precious free time on POF when I happened upon this here profile. These always make me snicker.Attachment 82662
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    So I was wasting my precious free time on POF when I happened upon this here profile. These always make me snicker.Attachment 82662
    sooooo they're looking for whites dudes from the South and the North...how progressive!!
    I bet "kuroai blossom" is black

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    sooooo they're looking for whites dudes from the South and the North...how progressive!!
    I bet "kuroai blossom" is black
    I've seen her pics and she most definitely is black. Anyway you can date whoever you want but claiming you want "culturally diversed sapiosexuals" then in the same breath saying white men only/no black men is a little silly limiting. I know if I put something like that on a dating profile I'd get dragged over the coals.
    Last edited by ZeonsSilverStar; 05-23-2019 at 03:30 AM.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    This has pretty much been my take all along.

But the GOT backlash kinda just reinforces that fandom now feels that it can wholesale reject any story element it doesn't like.

I've said it before but it bears repeating: it's a damn good thing the Internet didn't exist or Return of The Jedi because the Ewoks along would have had petitions flying left and right.

Tho it would have been really funny: Fans Petitioning LucasFilms to stop George every time he added any CGI to the Original Trilogy and him
    just doubling down with more additions in answer.
    This is what always happens to people who are so invested in their fandom that it becomes a part of their identity, no matter what happens they're bound to be disappointed at some point and that will force them to re-evaluate their priorities which can be uncomfortable. I didn't like this season of GOT either but after a few days I sort of just forgot about it and moved on with my life, movies and TV shows can be fun but you can't be so emotionally invested in fictional universes that it affects your life in the real one.

Good luck to her. She seems great.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    I've seen her pics and she most definitely is black. Anyway you can date whoever you want but claiming you want "culturally diversed sapiosexuals" then in the same breath saying white men only/no black men is a little silly limiting. I know if I put something like that on a dating profile I'd get dragged over the coals.
    Well, at least she doesn't mention being a dog/cat mom or how much she lovveess food (Since when does eating count as a personality trait?)

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Well, at least she doesn't mention being a dog/cat mom or how much she lovveess food (Since when does eating count as a personality trait?)
    I overheard someone at work talking about how they have pets so "they get it" regarding kids.

No, no you really don't.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I overheard someone at work talking about how they have pets so "they get it" regarding kids.

No, no you really don't.
    Every other girl on tinder and bumble is a dog mom who loves tacos.

No, no you really don't.
    Oh lawd

"dog mom"

GTFO lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Every other girl on tinder and bumble is a dog mom who loves tacos.
    I'm a parent, I have dogs, and I fux with tacos.

Especially with those new softshell boat-shaped tortillas, because my kids are 2 and 5 and messy as hell and they can actually hold those.

That's the kind of stuff "dog-parents" don't know about. Among other things they don't "get".

I got sprayed with deuce while changing my daughter at our housewarming party. In front of everybody and their moms. Literally.

I'd have loved to just send her outside for a few minutes and then go clean up the lawn instead.

"Dog Moms"

Honestly if you think about it dogs are just mass kidnapping victims. So Dog moms are slightly better than Bizzy Bone's step-dad if we're making dumb and sweeping comparisons that don't hold up for ****.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 05-23-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Pull List:

That's the kind of stuff "dog-parents" don't know about. Among other things they don't "get".
    Dog Mom... I feel some kinda way just typing the 'phrase'.

The police was lookin' for SOMEBODY the other day out in front of the Meijers.

I've got two little girls. Fuckin. Dog Moms- never consider a scenario that possibly, IF, one of these po-po feels I may look like dude who they might be looking for. Qualitatively speain' how hard am I calculating I'm gonna go in regards to these police, of which I'm bigger than them- with a couple kids holding one hand and a rotisserie chicken in the other hand. Pretty damned hard most likely.

Nor do, fuckin. Dog moms, have to curb behavior that might be creeping into my house from the wild ass bad lil' girl at daycare who mine calls a 'friend'. I like dogs btw but I can leave a puppy in a carrier or locked in a room all day if I have too go to work or run an errand. They frown apon those type of actions with actual children.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I'm a parent, I have dogs, and I fux with tacos.

Especially with those new softshell boat-shaped tortillas, because my kids are 2 and 5 and messy as hell and they can actually hold those.

I got sprayed with deuce while changing my daughter at our housewarming party. In front of everybody and their moms. Literally.

I'd have loved to just send her outside for a few minutes and then go clean up the lawn instead.

"Dog Moms"
    Or like, you know, leave them at home by themselves anytime you want for hours at a time...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Or like, you know, leave them at home by themselves anytime you want for hours at a time...
    I guess being a dog mom might be kind of like being a mom on one of those shows where the nanny does all the work.
    Pull List: