Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Spidey & The Breakfast Club #1 Review & Spoilers

HELLO TRUE BELIEVERS!

I am here to review Spidey & The X-Men #1.

By now we all know the premise: Wolverine suspects that of his students Hellion, Rockslide, Ernst, No Girl, Glob, Shark Girl and Eye Boy one is a mole. He dosen't know which one is the mole or who their a mole for...but he has given this top secret mission to his BFF spidey.

Our story kicks off with Spidey catching a ride to the school from Storm. The school is attacked by Unus but Spidey beats him and the X-Men show their lack of enthusiasm of him being there. Turns out Spidey feels the same way. His life is chaotic enough as it is and adding all the drama and Shenanigans of the JGS is crossing a line. But he wants to respect his BFF's last wish so he goes to class.

ROLL CALL!

Totes. Heh.

The kids end up saying that class should be held in the Danger Room because they believe fighting is the best education. Spidey says no and tries to give an explanation of the purpose of the Special Class. But being the genre savy savant that he is Hellion calls him out on the BS.

Not gunna lie I chuckled at the Smellion line. Much how Barney became Swarley Hellion is now Smellion.

After loosing his shirt to a BAMF, Spidey takes the kids to the Danger Room and we get a fairly good ethics debate. SPidey brings out his Golden Rule but No Girl and Ernst give a really good counter argument. After a quick tussle with a Colossus sparring bot, Spidey takes the kids to the Natural History Museum to reinforce his idea. That if we don't take responsibility for helping others (mutant or human) we're going to end up extinct. Que the bad guys.

Stegeron shows up and Spidey tells Eyeboy to help get the civilians out and to stop taking pictures for the school newspaper. Meanwhile Hellion calls Steggeron "Dorkzilla". As an aside Julian's growing racism against oversize reptilians is becoming a concern to me. First he beat up Dragons in X-23 and now this? Your beginning to cross a line Jules. Hellion then asks Spidey for a plan, which he dosen't have, so Julian takes charge...and it goes as well as expected. Turns out that Steggy has learned a new ability: the ability to drain power/life force. So he begins to nom nom nom on Hellion.

Rockslide rushes to save his Bro, and Spidey scratches Rockslide off his list of mole candidates. Spidey then saves Rockslide and then Sauron shows up. Sauron then uses his hypnosis hacks to put the rest of them to sleep.

They wake up later to find themselves captured and that Shark Girl has betrayed them to join the United Prehistoric Insurgency. The UPI has apparently turned Staten Island into New Savage Island. And Spidey wishes he stayed home that day.

What did I think?

Honestly? I enjoyed it. Hell I would say I enjoyed this single issue more than the entirety of Latours run and about 95% of Aarons run. the art was good, a couple coloring issues with Hellion's uniform and powers, but such is life. The dialogue was above average. The humor wasn't forced, and IMO this is the least quippy Spidey i've read in a long time. The only member of the main cast that didn't seem to have a distinct voice was Glob and I still think they should have switched him out for someone like Mercury or Blindfold. Needless to say I'm inboard for this run.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I didn't like it, but than again I was hoping it would be Spider-Man and the X-Men and not Spider-Man and the X-Kids so clearly this isn't catered towards my tastes. More power to those that like the book but it isn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    I didn't like it, but than again I was hoping it would be Spider-Man and the X-Men and not Spider-Man and the X-Kids so clearly this isn't catered towards my tastes. More power to those that like the book but it isn't for me.
    I think from all their marketing they never at all hinted that this anything more than Spidey & the X-Kids. So I can't really see why you got your hopes up?
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    I think from all their marketing they never at all hinted that this anything more than Spidey & the X-Kids. So I can't really see why you got your hopes up?
    The preview didn't even show the kids and it's "X-Men" not "X-Kids".

Spidey and the X kids nobody likes plus Hellion XD. Was this really the best cast they could come up with? Wasn't completely horrible but feels like it'll be the Spider Man blunders show. Just needs the canned laughter.

The preview didn't even show the kids and it's "X-Men" not "X-Kids".
    Every interview he's done said it was going to be about Spidey and his special class.

Moondoggie your avatar <3

was WATX still selling well after Aaron left? I dont understand why this book hasnt been cancelled yet, & why they didnt just launch a Spider-man book where he mentors some random weird kids with superpowers...its clearly not really an X-book...

I've gotta be honest, I can't believe this is the team of students a major x-book is going with. Does anyone honestly think that one of these kids has the potential to be a main-stay major x-character in the future?

I look back at classic young cast members like Kitty Pryde and Jubilee and see so much more depth and such less... Corny-ness. Heck, Eva is a good example of a new character that has potential.

My only explanation is that this book is geared towards the youngest readers of x-men fan base- and that is completely fine- but that means it certainly isn't for me. It was kinda funny and entertaining at some points but just not what I'm looking for. I am sure others will find it enjoyable.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like these kids. Or at least, I think they have potential. Loved Rockslide and Hellion in the Kyle/Yost era. I just can't deal with Spiderman. I definitely would've bought this book if it was this exact same cast minus Parker.

One of the great things about Breakfast Club was that, most of the time, the teacher wasn't present. I would love to see that X-Book.

As an aside Julian's growing racism against oversize reptilians is becoming a concern to me.
    He already hates flatscans, gays, the poor, robots, and himself, I dunno what one of more species i gonna do.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Can't be a Breakfast Club without a Molly. I see absolutely NO Molly on that cast.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    Every interview he's done said it was going to be about Spidey and his special class.
    Yet the preview didn't reflect that, which is my issue.

Nothing says Spider-Man can't teach and have some vets being regulars to the book. If it's simply the kids and Spider-Man than I don't see myself liking it as it's a waste of potential of even having him there if he's only dealing with a few kids when there's an entire school full of kids and vets.

Great now, not only do I have to see that movie again but I can't help but see Julian walk off the Krakoa Lawn with a robotic fist in the air while "Don't you forget about me" plays in the distance...or Spidey would just be playing it for some reason.

For added irony, that would be his one and only arc in the book.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

That's the problem with a JGS school book that doesn't focus on the rest of the students. I don't care for the series either for many reasons lol
    X-Men Forever

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I've gotta be honest, I can't believe this is the team of students a major x-book is going with. Does anyone honestly think that one of these kids has the potential to be a main-stay major x-character in the future?
    That's the point, to use characters that normally wouldn't get focus. I'm glad that they are using the non human looking mutants for once.

Anyway, i loved the issue, it was great.

Yet the preview didn't reflect that, which is my issue.

Nothing says Spider-Man can't teach and have some vets being regulars to the book. If it's simply the kids and Spider-Man than I don't see myself liking it as it's a waste of potential of even having him there if he's only dealing with a few kids when there's an entire school full of kids and vets.
    Except the teachers shouldn't be the focus, since they are in other books anyway. Plus using the kids that don't get much screen time is the best way to build new characters, plus it's fresh and new.

No offense, you ways sounds boring, it's been done.

Quote Originally Posted by midgetradio View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like these kids. Or at least, I think they have potential. Loved Rockslide and Hellion in the Kyle/Yost era. I just can't deal with Spiderman. I definitely would've bought this book if it was this exact same cast minus Parker.
    Don't think it would work without Parker, or a teacher. Hell, the reason they can focus on these set of kids is because Parker is there to hook people who normally wouldn't be into these kids.
    Last edited by Venom Melendez; 12-10-2014 at 04:32 PM.