Page 32 of 170 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Wow, that suddenly took a great turn for me. Cheetah has her revenge related reasons and Pedro is playing kind of an Urzkartaga role. So we have the deceptive man who is playing god and a villain with understandable reasons. I'm really interested now!

What do you guys think?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Wow, that suddenly took a great turn for me. Cheetah has her revenge related reasons and Pedro is playing kind of an Urzkartaga role. So we have the deceptive man who is playing god and a villain with understandable reasons. I'm really interested now!

What do you guys think?
    If this is true, it sounds like Barbara Ann will become the Cheetah much earlier in the film than I thought. Are she and Diana even going to be friends in this version?

It does indicate that she's pretty powerful if Lord needs to raise the damn dead as a bargaining chip in order to get himself out of this.

Incredible Member

Hmmmmm. I'm not loving the rumoured plot outline. I would much prefer Diana and Barbara to be friends before Barbara becomes the Cheetah. That gives Diana a direct, personal connection with Barbara and makes their conflict all the more interesting. Wonder Woman fighting Cheetah simply to stop Cheetah from killing Maxwell Lord doesn't really interest me.

I'm also surprised at Diana's naivety if she accepts an offer to act as Maxwell Lord's personal bodyguard in exchange for Lord resurrecting Steve Trevor from the dead. Such a "deal" has major red flags all over it. At this stage, Diana has been in man's world for 70 years - surely she would know to second-guess such an offer? Not to mention the practicalities of such a bargain - is she going to spend the rest of Lord's life protecting him? When Lord dies of old age, will Steve Trevor also die? And I don't love Diana being motivated by her love for Trevor. After 70 years, has Diana really not experienced love with anyone else in man's world? I get it - Trevor was certainly an above-average man - but, there are a lot of people in the world.

I'm a little concerned that DC has taken what should be a simple story (i.e. Diana and Barbara are friends and fellow artefact hunters, something happens and Barbara becomes Cheetah and the Cheetah blames Diana for her transformation), made it more complicated and most egregiously removed the personal, emotional connection between Diana and Barbara.

But, it's just a rumour. And I obviously have no idea how it will all turn out on the big-screen. And I trust that Patty Jenkins wants to do right by the character of Wonder Woman.

The on set glimpses we've gotten of Wiig's Barbara so far really do not give off the vibe of someone already in league with someone like Lord. She has struck many people as being similar to Michelle Pfeiffer's pre-Catwoman Selina Kyle, and I imagine she'd go through a similar arc. We've gotten glimpses of her fending off an attacker/purse snatcher, and practicing her powers without being transformed yet (that stunt with her leaping up the side of a building).

Is all of this going to be squeezed in before Steve even shows up? Steve's "fish out of water" story strikes me as something that's going to be popping up fairly early in the film's run time. I honestly think Diana and Barbara are friends and Barbara's stuff is happening in the backgroud while Diana deals with Steve, before the Cheetah stuff explodes somewhere in the third act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Hmmmmm. I'm not loving the rumoured plot outline. I would much prefer Diana and Barbara to be friends before Barbara becomes the Cheetah. That gives Diana a direct, personal connection with Barbara and makes their conflict all the more interesting. Wonder Woman fighting Cheetah simply to stop Cheetah from killing Maxwell Lord doesn't really interest me.

I'm also surprised at Diana's naivety if she accepts an offer to act as Maxwell Lord's personal bodyguard in exchange for Lord resurrecting Steve Trevor from the dead. Such a "deal" has major red flags all over it. At this stage, Diana has been in man's world for 70 years - surely she would know to second-guess such an offer? Not to mention the practicalities of such a bargain - is she going to spend the rest of Lord's life protecting him? When Lord dies of old age, will Steve Trevor also die? And I don't love Diana being motivated by her love for Trevor. After 70 years, has Diana really not experienced love with anyone else in man's world? I get it - Trevor was certainly an above-average man - but, there are a lot of people in the world.

I'm a little concerned that DC has taken what should be a simple story (i.e. Diana and Barbara are friends and fellow artefact hunters, something happens and Barbara becomes Cheetah and the Cheetah blames Diana for her transformation), made it more complicated and most egregiously removed the personal, emotional connection between Diana and Barbara.

But, it's just a rumour. And I obviously have no idea how it will all turn out on the big-screen. And I trust that Patty Jenkins wants to do right by the character of Wonder Woman.
    There can still be a connection between Diana and Barbara. We also don't know anthing about how lord would convince Diana to help him, or the way he will bring Steve back. There are many ways they can make it work.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Go to the 4 min. mark of the video:

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-22-2019 at 05:53 AM.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

I find it weird nothing is being said about Cheetah and what her relationship is going to be with Diana. Everything is about Steve Trevor

Will Diana fly?
    How fast and powerful is Cheetah and Diana in the movie? Instead, they seem to advertising as a love story.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    I find it weird nothing is being said about Cheetah and what her relationship is going to be with Diana. Everything is about Steve Trevor

Will Diana fly?
    How fast and powerful is Cheetah and Diana in the movie? Instead, they seem to advertising as a love story.
    I have never once seen a director for a superhero movie give a power profile of the protagonist and/or the antagonist. That's not what sells tickets.

An epic love story the audience really liked in the last movie? Now THAT sells.

We'll get info on Cheetah once the trailers start coming out.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I have never once seen a director for a superhero movie give a power profile of the protagonist and/or the antagonist. That's not what sells tickets.

They already did that in the first movie. They need to do something new. I am very afraid of the villains because what happened with Ares and Dr Poison in the first movie.

Well I dont disagree with you that Cheetah will be a bigger part of marketing in the future, it's not necessarily true that antagonists don't sell tickets. The Dark Knight movies all hyped up Joker and Bane. Infinity War marketing was all about Thanos. But those situations are different from 1984 so I don't think there's anything worth worrying about

We are currently in the long desert walk of post-production, and the film isn't even out for another year and a half. It's far too early to expect talk about Cheetah or Maxwell Lord (or whatever character Pedro Pascal plays).

ETA: Also, this was primarily because Jenkins and Pine had just worked together on another project (the true crime drama they started talking about). Otherwise Jenkins wouldn't have been in that sofa.
    Last edited by kjn; 01-22-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Well I don't disagree with you that Cheetah will be a bigger part of marketing in the future, it's not necessarily true that antagonists don't sell tickets. The Dark Knight movies all hyped up Joker and Bane. Infinity War marketing was all about Thanos. But those situations are different from 1984 so I don't think there's anything worth worrying about
    Absolutely true about Antagonist being Star attraction. Don't forget Cable in Deadpool 2. But What makes 1984 and Cheetah different?

Why? What makes 1984 and Cheetah different?
    Well before I answer, it's worth saying that a teaser hasn't even been released so they could still focus on Cheetah heavily. There hasn't been any marketing for this movie yet. Also, Joker is just a naturally more charismatic villain than Cheetah (and 99% of all super-villains) and they wanted to show off Heath Ledger's acting. Bane was because the trailers were all basically teasing Batman getting absolutely destroyed so there was a focus on Bane to make audiences wonder how the hell he could beat him. It was specifically tied to the story of TDKR and Bruce getting his back broken. Infinity War was basically a Thanos movie (he was literally the main character and had the most screentime) since all Avengers had been introduced in previous movies so the entire point was to focus on Thanos as a threat for the Avengers

Will Diana fly?

I agree that the lack of Cheetah information is getting really annoying, but at the same time it's also a no brainer to market the hell out of Steve and his return because the romance was one of the most popular parts of the first film. It's a proven commodity.

Cheetah is also not anywhere near as much of a household name as the Batman villains, so they cannot market her based on name recognition. The film needs to deliver with her before they can market her based on name alone going forward. I don't think Aquaman's build up put a lot of focus on Ocean Master or Black Manta, and Shazam doesn't seem to be doing much with Sivana. Whereas the Joker was already hugely popular when TDK came out due to (among other things) Nicholson and B89. A new actor playing him and great buzz about his performance made it an event.

They already did that in the first movie. They need to do something new. I am very afraid of the villains because what happened with Ares and Dr Poison in the first movie.
    I don't think it's ccurate to look at Ares and Dr. Poison as an indicator of how Cheetah will turn out. She serves a different narrative function in a different type of story. We are past the origin story where the hero needs to be the main focus. Ares and Poison fulfilled the exact function they were required to. And honestly, while we don't have a wealth of great Cheetah stories, I think her source material gives the filmmaker's a LOT more ta work with than those two. Especially Poison, who is a very minor character in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I agree that the lack of Cheetah information is getting really annoying, but at the same time it's also a no brainer to market the hell out of Steve and his return because the romance was one of the most popular parts of the first film. It's a proven commodity.

Cheetah is also not anywhere near as much of a household name as the Batman villains, so they cannot market her based on name recognition. The film needs to deliver with her before they can market her based on name alone going forward. I don't think Aquaman's build up put a lot of focus on Ocean Master or Black Manta, and Shazam doesn't seem to be doing much with Sivana. Whereas the Joker was already hugely popular when TDK came out due to (among other things) Nicholson and B89. A new actor playing him and great buzz about his performance made it an event.

I don't think it's ccurate to look at Ares and Dr. Poison as an indicator of how Cheetah will turn out. She serves a different narrative function in a different type of story. We are past the origin story where the hero needs to be the main focus. Ares and Poison fulfilled the exact function they were required to. And honestly, while we don't have a wealth of great Cheetah stories, I think her source material gives the filmmaker's a LOT more ta work with than those two. Especially Poison, who is a very minor character in the comics.
    Shazam's villain Black Adam is played by The Rock and he is going to get Solo movie after Shazam.
    Meanwhile Cheetah was initially offered to Emma Stone but she rejected it so I am kind of very pessimistic of importance of Cheetah in the movie