Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I've proposed a lot of things here that I think they should try. But you have to be realistic about ongoings for second-tier solo characters. Recurring minis or team comics are better options for most of them.
    You call it a better option. I call it lazy and cowardly. Characters being restricted to team books and minis prove that DC have no faith in their characters. Meanwhile Domino has an ongoing. Black Lightning, Plastic Man, Raven, John Stewart, Duke Thomas, Vixen and even Beast Boy are ALL worthy of an ONGOING series. Minis make no sense at all. I like publishers that take risks.
    Last edited by Raijin; 07-03-2018 at 12:47 AM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I'd be ok with a 6 issue miniseries just to see if it could work. Sometimes you just need the right character with the right writer and the right pitch.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    You call it a better option. I call it lazy and cowardly. Characters being restricted to team books and minis prove that DC have no faith in their characters. Meanwhile Domino has an ongoing. Black Lightning, Plastic Man, Raven, John Stewart, Duke Thomas, Vixen and even Beast Boy are ALL worthy of an ONGOING series. Minis make no sense at all. I like publishers that take risks.
    So if you went to Dan DiDio or Jim Lee and pitched a Beast Boy ongoing, and they said they had uses for their writers and artists that were more likely to make money, would you call them "lazy" and "cowards?' Seriously?

I remember hearing that kind of talk when I suggested that DC get out of the shared universe game with its movies. Somebody called that idea cowardly!

Comics are a business. They exist to earn a return on their shareholders' investments. They're not a big game of chicken that's played with other people's money.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-03-2018 at 07:10 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd be ok with a 6 issue miniseries just to see if it could work. Sometimes you just need the right character with the right writer and the right pitch.
    I've only read about BB/Changeling in the Ravagers version which I liked but everybody here hated. The problem for me is I don't follow TT and I could care less about the Doom Patrol hijack by Morrison from a few years ago. What I see is the need to define an origin that is either SF or Fantasy since it's been discussed here that he has the ability to transform into real beasts and mythological. You have to have a context that makes sense that allows him to do either one or both. Rather than put him in a city how about Central or South American setting at first? There are a number of scenarios that storylines could be built upon including an eventual encounter with Bane.Perhaps Challengers of the Unknown any version will do. The real problem here is the more rabid fan base that needs to have all the TT characters stuck in Amber as teens and as a team concept only. DC has lost money on runs like this and they will again. When they do it's a tax write off for them. No reason not to petition them in a reasonable manner and ask for this.

I wouldn't mind a Beast Boy mini-series, he would need his own cast and city. Maybe Jump City can be inserted into the DC Comics Universe, and it serves as Beast Boy's new base of operations. I think he should have Control Freak as his rival/frenemy, I like to see them battling with each other while talking about pop culture and video game references.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    I've only read about BB/Changeling in the Ravagers version which I liked but everybody here hated. The problem for me is I don't follow TT and I could care less about the Doom Patrol hijack by Morrison from a few years ago. What I see is the need to define an origin that is either SF or Fantasy since it's been discussed here that he has the ability to transform into real beasts and mythological. You have to have a context that makes sense that allows him to do either one or both. Rather than put him in a city how about Central or South American setting at first? There are a number of scenarios that storylines could be built upon including an eventual encounter with Bane.Perhaps Challengers of the Unknown any version will do. The real problem here is the more rabid fan base that needs to have all the TT characters stuck in Amber as teens and as a team concept only. DC has lost money on runs like this and they will again. When they do it's a tax write off for them. No reason not to petition them in a reasonable manner and ask for this.

I love that version, is the best of Gar since the reboot. I have no problem with he being red, but I understand that so many people have disliked it. What I do not understand is the complains about him not beign the "funny guy".
    It shows that the fans help to keep him in that rol.
    I doubt they give him an ongoing now that he have almost nothing to sustain him. A shame because before Flashpoint he had at least five deadly enemies that could be exploited to do something interesting.

I miss this.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

When you just give characters who can't carry a solo ongoing it hurts the character in the long run. If they get a series and it get cancelled (which 90% of titles with B list characters do) it starts giving them a rep that they just can't sell. It tarnishes the character if they are in one throw away solo after another. The better strategy has always been to start them in a mini and if that works give them another mini and then if that works maybe go into a solo. They did that with both Robin and Birds of Prey back in the day, and it worked.

They gave Beast Boy a mini series once anyway. It was not bad, but it obviously didn't sell enough for DC to give him another mini afterwards.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Ravagers was so much wasted potential. I enjoyed that version of BB and Terra.

I don't mind him having a connection to the red, just not fond of him being a red wolf-based for his design.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    When you just give characters who can't carry a solo ongoing it hurts the character in the long run. If they get a series and it get cancelled (which 90% of titles with B list characters do) it starts giving them a rep that they just can't sell. It tarnishes the character if they are in one throw away solo after another. The better strategy has always been to start them in a mini and if that works give them another mini and then if that works maybe go into a solo. They did that with both Robin and Birds of Prey back in the day, and it worked.

They gave Beast Boy a mini series once anyway. It was not bad, but it obviously didn't sell enough for DC to give him another mini afterwards.

I guess quitting is easier. I don't understand. Why does Raven have a second mini when BB can't have another?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Ultimate Member

I guess quitting is easier. I don't understand. Why does Raven have a second mini when BB can't have another?
    Would you do it like this? Titan Comics has a book called Rivers of London (based on the novel series of the same name).

While it's not issues 1-27-they have 5 completed arcs/trades with 2 new issues of the current arc.

Basically you are getting an ongoing that is not numbered and I think takes 1-2 months between arcs. All arcs stand alone to where you don't need to read them to understand everything. Yet if you want to-you would need the trades and 10+ novels.

If they get a series and it get cancelled (which 90% of titles with B list characters do) it starts giving them a rep that they just can't sell.
    Black Panther
    Supergirl

All say HI....

Meanwhile
    Cassandra Cain
    Steel
    Tim Drake
    Conner Kent
    Bart Allen
    Jean Paul
    Shazam
    Spectre
    Firestorm (Ronnie by himself)
    Guy Gardner
    Kyle R.
    Wally West (real one)

Who sold are still waiting for new solo runs.

John Stewart
    Black Lightning
    Static
    Are waiting for a new series where a stupid editor won't ruin their book.

A rep as a bad seller hasn't stop Carol Danvers, Moon Knight and at one point Cyborg.

If a book doesn't sell- I BETTER not learn the reason has to to with the race, sexual preference or gender of the lead. Especially when OTHER companies books with all that are not having that issue. Sorry despite what many WANT DC nor Marvel can't exclude those groups.

Mighty Member

Default BB Solo?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Would you do it like this? Titan Comics has a book called Rivers of London (based on the novel series of the same name).

While it's not issues 1-27-they have 5 completed arcs/trades with 2 new issues of the current arc.

Basically you are getting an ongoing that is not numbered and I think takes 1-2 months between arcs. All arcs stand alone to where you don't need to read them to understand everything. Yet if you want to-you would need the trades and 10+ novels.

Didn't Antarctic Press do this with a Zombie comic possibly based on the writers previous novels? It seemed to work for them. I remember at least 3 or 4 arcs of 4 issues each.

Black Panther

Major reboot of character without change of race,gender,or orientation.

Meanwhile

Tim Drake

I thought his taking on the Batman Beyond role was pretty cool but then he was left walking into the sunset still in the future. Unless I missed something somewhere.

If a book doesn't sell- I BETTER not learn the reason has to to with the race, sexual preference or gender of the lead. Especially when OTHER companies books with all that are not having that issue. Sorry despite what many WANT DC nor Marvel can't exclude those groups.
    I seem to remember a big fight over hijacking some Marvel characters for diversity sake that eventually backfired in poor sales and got Alonso the boot. Smaller press companies seem to do better with newly created diverse characters but what sales are like I wouldn't know.

Spectacular Member

I got an idea for a Beast Boy mini, he tries to break out on his own to get the fame and spotlight he always wanted. Unfortunately his "producer" is actually a super-villain wanting to take advantage of Gar's hunger for fame.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A rep as a bad seller hasn't stop Carol Danvers, Moon Knight and at one point Cyborg.
    Do you really think Carol Danvers would have gotten as many shots at a solo if she didn't have a movie coming out and Marvel was not so desperate to have their own version of Wonder Woman to capatilize on? Same with Cyborg they keep pushing him because of the movie tie in potential.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    I got an idea for a Beast Boy mini, he tries to break out on his own to get the fame and spotlight he always wanted. Unfortunately his "producer" is actually a super-villain wanting to take advantage of Gar's hunger for fame.
    There was a similar story where Beast Boy was trying to be an actor and got framed for murder.