Page 3 of 139 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

While it seems many of you can't wait to "make up your own mind", I for one can wait for Civil War and Apocalpyse.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    Now up to 5 out of 20. Hey that's improvement
    Nor it's 10/17 for a 37%... Maybe it will make it to the "fresh" category...

I didn't get much out of that article other than grim, gritty, and dark.

Is the spoiler embargo still on?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebolt1967 View Post
    You saw the second trailer, right? What other example do you need of Eisenberg hamming it up? Just curious. Did he seem like Lex Luthor to you in that trailer?
    Yeah, I'm not gonna base an actor's entire performance off of 10 seconds in a trailer. Also, have you seen the Superman movies from the 70s? Gene Hackman was many peoples' definitive Luthor and he certainly hammed it up. And I honestly thought Eisenberg seemed fine in the trailers. That seems exactly like Lex: attempt to be charming to someone's face in public, but behind closed doors is another story.

wulfgars

Quote Originally Posted by Dinah Draws The Things View Post
    I saw this movie last night and I absolutely disagree... like really really really disagree, I found myself on the edge of my seat enjoying it, the movie flowed fine and it was over before I knew it and I left wanting more. I don't get the "Too gritty, too dark" people. I thought the actors were all terrific, and there was some shocks in the movie, I don't want to spoil.

So count me in the Disagree pile, because I thought Dawn Of Justice was amazing.

Yes I made an account just to post this, because I found this review completely biased and untrue.
    Hell yeah brother.
    Saw the movie , it was great and personally itīs really boring to continue to read the same "too gritty" comment , especially from such a wonderful and imaginative site like this one ( although you canīt expect that from the people they hire to make reviews) .
    Itīs not an "Oscar movie"? NO!! Itīs entertaining and tries to be faithful to the comics ( those comic "versions" the director chose to use in his view of the world) and leaves you feeling that 150 minutes passed thru in a hurry? YES!!
    And most important (to me ), should people wait to make their own opinions instead of going around reading every so called "Critic" ? HELL YES!!
    ( i just read this one because iīm a long time reader of this site , and was so appalled by the biased and untrue point of view of it , that i had to make a first reply ....and sorry for any english mistake in my text )
    Last edited by wulfgars; 03-22-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: correct an error

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, but reviewers usually explain WHY they thought something was bad. At least, the reviews that I usually read do. I honestly can't grasp what this guy is saying is inherently bad. He says Eisenberg "hams it up" as Luthor. Okay, HOW does Eisenberg ham it up??? Give us an example. You can include a description without spoiling too much. But this guy just....doesn't give anything for the reader to latch onto.
    To be fair they did. The reviewer didn't like the pacing, characterization, or tone of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    positive reviews in from Variety, USA Today and Rolling Stone. I was hoping for universal acclaim, but in the end i think the public is going to love this movie
    Which to the general public carry a lot more weight than a niche comic book site.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Interestingly, the Daily Telegraph's Robbie Collin gives Dawn of Justice an excorciatingly terrible review, but also puts in a throwaway line about Zack Snyder's "superb Man of Steel", so I guess it's not the case that if you liked one you would necessarily like - or dislike - the other.

It's not, therefore, likely to be just a giant conspiracy of Marvel-lovers and everyone who hates "dark and gritty". WB are a huge studio and they've pumped vast quantities of money into the marketing and making of this film. We don't need to get outraged on their behalf and throw bitter aspersions at every negative review.

For my part, I haven't seen it, so I guess I'll make up my own mind I've liked some films with poor reviews before, and detested some films with good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by GDC3 View Post
    Which to the general public carry a lot more weight than a niche comic book site.
    Then why the Oscar-baits have such horrible box offices most of the time ?.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Reloaded View Post
    To be fair they did. The reviewer didn't like the pacing, characterization, or tone of the movie.
    Its more so that I don't really see the inferential or logical jumps the writer seems to want me to make. Firstly, he says that its too gritty to be fun and too grim to be thrilling. I don't think those things are diametrically opposed. Its possible for something to be gritty and fun at the same time.

He also says that its not clear why Lex hates Superman, but...can anyone here really say why Obadiah Stane's motivation for hating Tony Stark was not in itself kind of shallow? Or the same for Ultron's contempt for the Avengers?

Additionally, if Luthor hams it up as Lex (a character who seems like being hammy is at least in his wheelhouse), then why did they not raise the same objection to the way that Ultron was portrayed in the MCU? Marvel took a character who is supposed to be an android who has no understanding or grasp of what its like to be human and....turned him into a wisecracking, funny-times super villain? Um...that seems counterintuitive.

It just seems that this site is MORE than willing to ignore things that Marvel does, but when DC commits similar sins, they get called out for it.

Mighty Member

At the end of the day, the movie is poised to make good money, so the studio will be happy.

A review is an opinion. Just because you disagree with it, does not invalidate it unless the reviewer is being completely unreasonable which CBR is not.

Also, it's not the only site that is giving the movie a negative review. There are plenty of other sites who agree with CBR, so it's not really fair to call CBR biased either.

Personally, I was always way more excited for Suicide Squad, but I will make up my own mind after I see BvS. I also believe that although divisive, the movie will end up with a good amount of positive reactions and reviews.

That said, maybe it's time to give Zack Snyder a break from the DCEU... Just saying...

Extraordinary Member

Probably too many para-demons got killed for his taste.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, Man of Steel was really that horrible.

r.
    I thought MOS was fine (not great but decent enough). To each his own I guess but don't act like your opinion is an indisputable fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Its more so that I don't really see the inferential or logical jumps the writer seems to want me to make. Firstly, he says that its too gritty to be fun and too grim to be thrilling. I don't think those things are diametrically opposed. Its possible for something to be gritty and fun at the same time.

He also says that its not clear why Lex hates Superman, but...can anyone here really say why Obadiah Stane's motivation for hating Tony Stark was not in itself kind of shallow? Or the same for Ultron's contempt for the Avengers?

Additionally, if Luthor hams it up as Lex (a character who seems like being hammy is at least in his wheelhouse), then why did they not raise the same objection to the way that Ultron was portrayed in the MCU? Marvel took a character who is supposed to be an android who has no understanding or grasp of what its like to be human and....turned him into a wisecracking, funny-times super villain? Um...that seems counterintuitive.

It just seems that this site is MORE than willing to ignore things that Marvel does, but when DC commits similar sins, they get called out for it.
    Ignore what ?, Iron Man 3 ?, Thor 2 ?, Age of Ultron ?, those movies were much better than Man of Steel.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Then why the Oscar-baits have such horrible box offices most of the time ?.
    Well in terms of critical acclaim he's right those magazines do hold more weight.