Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

As a fat guy who flies on occasion and not offended by what he said, but probably not the right time to post something like that people are way to sensitive. I try to be as respectful as possible and get the aisle seat and not squish anyone.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I was thin in my 20s but not in great shape physically. I smoked, drank, stayed out later than I should, etc. It started to catch up to me around 30 and I started to get pretty heavy. But now I'm nearly back down to my weight when I was 25, but have much more muscle mass, and am in much, much better general health.

This coming year I'll finish my second marathon, and next then I'm going to begin training for my first Iron Man.
    Glad you changed things for the better for yourself, TFA. You sound like you're in enviable condition.

I was in my mid-'20s when I found myself 25 pounds heavier than I should have been. Except for a very occasional cigar (my last was over 10 years ago), I have never really been a smoker, but I did everything else you did to my detriment. I saw what my future beheld and I wasn't happy with it, so I decided to do something about it. The funny thing was I didn't find it hard to do once I was properly motivated.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Glad you changed things for the better for yourself, TFA. You sound like you're in enviable condition.

I was in my mid-'20s when I found myself 25 pounds heavier than I should have been. Except for a very occasional cigar (my last was over 10 years ago), I have never really been a smoker, but I did everything else you did to my detriment. I saw what my future beheld and I wasn't happy with it, so I decided to do something about it. The funny thing was I didn't find it hard to do once I was properly motivated.
    Same. I quit smoking about 2 years ago cold turkey about a month after I became a "serious" runner. My impetus for change was having kids. I didn't wanted to minimize my self-risk factors for disease or injury due to poor lifestyle choices.

I still drink occasionally with my running club, but that significantly dropped post college and prior to grad school anyway.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I was thin in my 20s but not in great shape physically. I smoked, drank, stayed out later than I should, etc. It started to catch up to me around 30 and I started to get pretty heavy. But now I'm nearly back down to my weight when I was 25, but have much more muscle mass, and am in much, much better general health.

This coming year I'll finish my second marathon, and next I'm going to begin training for my first Iron Man.
    Gratz on the second marathon! I did my third this year. First one I trained a little too hard and did ok. Second one I was fighting injury and did terribly. This past on a few weeks ago I trained less hard and got a PR.

Running has practically extended my life.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Same. I quit smoking about 2 years ago cold turkey about a month after I became a "serious" runner. My impetus for change was having kids. I didn't wanted to minimize my self-risk factors for disease or injury due to poor lifestyle choices.

I still drink occasionally with my running club, but that significantly dropped post college and prior to grad school anyway.
    I still drink alcohol, too, but sparingly. That stuff packs on the calories if you're not careful.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Gratz on the second marathon! I did my third this year. First one I trained a little too hard and did ok. Second one I was fighting injury and did terribly. This past on a few weeks ago I trained less hard and got a PR.

If I ran three BLOCKS, I'd need to have the last rites administered, but I can walk three MILES before needing my second wind.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If I ran three BLOCKS, I'd need to have the last rites administered, but I can walk three MILES before needing my second wind.
    I have no problems with running as long as I don't focus on my breathing. If I start thinking about the latter, I will then have to fight off hyperventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Walking is good for you, probably better than running. Its less stressful on the body and has all the same benefits.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I'm pretty fortunate in that my friends have always been runners so I had a lot of advice when I decided it would be a good way to start my health journey. Start up cost is very low and you can pretty much do it any time you have a few free hours (heck even 30 minutes).

In my area (and many others) we have a Hash Club that runs and meets at the bar, but also does charity work and volunteers for local causes. From top to bottom; my wife, kids, and exercise have made me an all around better version of myself.

I kind of feel bad when people who haven't seen me in a while ask what I'm doing though, because while I know a lot for people struggle really hard I just stuck to a diet (I can tell you everything I've eaten for any meal back to Febuary of 2016), and stuck to a workout schedule until it all became habit.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Walking is good for you, probably better than running. Its less stressful on the body and has all the same benefits.
    I was just going to say the same. Running would be too jarring on my knees. My mother had arthritis pretty bad and I do feel a twinge now and then with my right knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was just going to say the same. Running would be too jarring on my knees. My mother had arthritis pretty bad and I do feel a twinge now and then with my right knee.
    I have to be careful when I'm doing quick lateral moves now (especially when I'm running around with my dog because he likes to bolt back towards me and I have to get out of his way ), because I sometimes feel a little twinge every now and then myself in the knees.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Indeed. I love walking more than I can say. Even when I have the opportunity during spring and summer to ride my bike, I opt to walk instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I’m damn lucky that I’ve yet to experience those tweaks and twinges, even at my advanced age.

*pauses to rap on my head*

Knock on wood.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I heard that Premium Economy is for other reasons than leg room, such as boarding and eating benefits, while perhaps giving some premium seats up to six inches more leg room in length. However, the regular seats are not made shorter in leg length, they are just the standard leg length room. Is this not so?
    I flew to Thailand on Premium Economy last year with Eva Air (who I believe invented this class). The call it Elite Class, but it's lower than Business, so that's a bit of misnomer.

The boarding and food were exactly the same, but the seats were a few inches wider and had a few more inches more leg room. They were small changes, but they make a big difference.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    You said "Those people are judged". That's judging the people, not the behaviour. Judging the behaviour is clearly not as bad, but I still don't think it's the right approach.
    People are judged FOR THEIR BEHAVIOUR. Not bullied, which seems to be what making value judgements on appropriate behaviour is being conflated with here. This attempt at a Gotcha moment, it seems less like you're open to others perspectives and more like you're trying to pump up your own opinion by doing this lame grammar Nazi routine with someone who disagrees with you. But I wouldn't want to be seen as too judgemental (because then you'd have to decide how much you value that judgement and that's an ordeal, certainly)

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    People are judged FOR THEIR BEHAVIOUR. Not bullied, which seems to be what making value judgements on appropriate behaviour is being conflated with here. This attempt at a Gotcha moment, it seems less like you're open to others perspectives and more like you're trying to pump up your own opinion by doing this lame grammar Nazi routine with someone who disagrees with you. But I wouldn't want to be seen as too judgemental (because then you'd have to decide how much you value that judgement and that's an ordeal, certainly)
    I'm not being a grammar nazi. My point is that when people are being self-destructive, we need to help them break that cycle. Judging them or their behaviour is basically shaming and doesn't give them the support they need. I've no idea what you mean by "Gotcha moment".