Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bucky and Natasha. It’s slightly been hinted at, but they need to make this happen.

if they ever do anything with the Defenders characters again, Danny and Misty would be my choice. Disliked that they had Luke/Misty and Danny/Colleen.
    Last edited by EmperorDoom; 03-15-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I try to stay out of the whole shipping thing, because, in fandom anyway, that seems to lead to online gang warfare, but like everyone else I feel that Marvel did Betty Ross dirty. And, as a Cap fan, I feel Sharon should have been given more development and/or, failing that, I would have given anything to see either Bernie or Rachel on the big screen. I've enjoyed all of Cap's major relationships in the comics and think it's sad that most of the MCU people latched so hard onto Peggy (whom I've never forgiven for divorcing Steve because he gave up the mantle and wanted to be an astronaut during the House of M tie-in and that wasn't ambitious enough for her) and they'll never know how great these other characters were/are.

That said, I recognize that MCU!Peggy is a far better developed and more likable character than her comics counterpart. MCU!Peggy is pretty much comics!Sharon.
    Yeah, I feel like Sharon also got the short thrift in the movies.

I think part of it is having to live up to Hayley Atwell's Peggy Carter, but I think it's also that the Russo's just did not have the time or the dedication to focus on her or her romance with Steve.

Frankly I think she would've fit Widow's role in Winter Soldier just as well. I mean, she's supposed to be Cap's female partner...
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorDoom View Post
    Bucky and Natasha. It’s slightly been hinted at, but they need to make this happen.
    I keep wondering if they'll do anything with that, particularly in Natasha's solo film.

It's like they've indicated or acknowledged it at some point but in such a way that it might not mean anything, but I wonder if there's any deeper meaning behind it.

I like Tony/Pepper, Steve/Peggy, T'Challa/Nakia a lot. For non-canon suff, Steve/Natasha is a nice ship and Thor/Valkyrie have potential

Hulk/Widow was a miss. Idk what Whedon was on. Thor/Jane was also not very good altho slightly better in the first movie than the second. Honestly, Ragnorak was a well-needed refresher for Thor's entire franchise
    Last edited by The Kid; 03-15-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Hulk/Widow was a miss. Idk what Whedon was on. Thor/Jane was also not very good altho slightly better in the first movie than the second. Honestly, Ragnorak was a well-needed refresher for Thor's entire franchise
    I think it was less of a refresher and more of a "completely blowing it all apart" .

I wish they had done more with Thor and Sif in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    For the last time, Michelle is obviously meant to be MJ.
    No, she was "inspired by." Not the same thing. Besides, even if you don't buy that, I was actually hoping for a faithful adaptation of the Ultimate comics for this character. Michelle Jones works well as is, but has nothing in common with Mary Jane save for the nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    And before anyone says anything, none of the characters in Homecoming were like their originals. None of them!
    No, Peter was pretty close, Flash has the key points down (bully who picks on Peter but ironically is a huge Spider-Man fan), and Ganke is exactly like the original (except for being named "Ned" and being attached to Peter instead of Miles).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they should ask Stephen Colbert to be J Jonah Jameson. i think he might have something special to add.
    Interesting idea. Never thought of that. Kinda like it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    No, she was "inspired by." Not the same thing. Besides, even if you don't buy that, I was actually hoping for a faithful adaptation of the Ultimate comics for this character. Michelle Jones works well as is, but has nothing in common with Mary Jane save for the nickname.
    She would've made an interesting updated Glory.
    No, Peter was pretty close, Flash has the key points down (bully who picks on Peter but ironically is a huge Spider-Man fan), and Ganke is exactly like the original (except for being named "Ned" and being attached to Peter instead of Miles).
    Peter is...complicated.

Flash is a weird mix of Ditko Harry and Flash Thompson, but he's more kind of like Harry then he is an effective Flash. At least Far From Home is bringing in the Spider-Man fanboy nature, assuming it's not just relevant to that scene.

I don't see Danny/Misty happening in the Netflix shows which is a shame because I prefer it to Colleen/Danny.

Hulk and BW could've worked if they developed it outside of the Avengers films but that's a consequence of neither character having a solo film. A few of the canon love interests could have been done better but I think Jane's dynamic with Thor was always a hard sell.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

A big problem with HulkWidow is that everything in AoU was so cluttered that I think a lot of audiences barely even got what Whedon was going for. It was meant to fail, the relationship was an attempt for both of them to escape the lives they fell into, and they ultimately realize that being a hero is more important.

But you know, the relationship came with little buildup beyond the way their character arcs intertwined in the first Avengers, and so many things about that movie just made it the worst possible place for that story to play out. ScarJo got pregnant and ended up getting trapped for half the third act as a result, Whedon decided to adapt the Very Worst Take(TM) on BW's backstory in a way that somehow ended up being ten times worse than how it was originally written, the whole movie in general was just overstuffed... It was awkward. Part of the awkwardness was definitely intentional, but that gets lost in the shuffle when there's so much else weirdness going on. I'm a little nervous for how the Endgame team is going to resolve it (if they do at all?).

I guess we've learned our lesson not to take story ideas from Mark Ruffalo anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it was less of a refresher and more of a "completely blowing it all apart" .

I wish they had done more with Thor and Sif in the movies.
    True using Sif would have been nice but I def think it needed to be blown up. Thor 2 was prob the weakest movie in the entire MCU and Thor had the least amount of screentime in AoU. He was essentially starting to become irrelevant. A semi-reboot of the entire franchise was needed to refresh both the character and his side of the world

True using Sif would have been nice but I def think it needed to be blown up. Thor 2 was prob the weakest movie in the entire MCU and Thor had the least amount of screentime in AoU. He was essentially starting to become irrelevant. A semi-reboot of the entire franchise was needed to refresh both the character and his side of the world
    I think that just goes to show how Marvel Studios had bungled the Thor property and character for it to get to that point.

Extraordinary Member

I'm hoping the implications of the Wanda/Vision relationship will be part of their series and that there will be characters who are prejudiced against them. It was weird to me that no one in the movies ever seems to think it's strange that a human and an AI are in love. Maybe they didn't have time in these overstuffed movies and maybe it's just that there was no character around who could be such a jerk as to question their relationship. That's why it would have helped to have Quicksilver alive.

In general the MCU has a poor record with love interests for its leads. It's a shame because romance is such an important part of Marvel comics, but the movies move so fast that they never have the patience to develop a romance in any way, so we have to take it on faith that most of these characters are attracted to each other.
    Last edited by gurkle; 03-16-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    In general the MCU has a poor record with love interests for its leads. It's a shame because romance is such an important part of Marvel comics, but the movies move so fast that they never have the patience to develop a romance in any way, so we have to take it on faith that most of these characters are attracted to each other.
    I was kind of bummed that, for a movie titled "Ant-Man and The Wasp," they seemed to spend the bare minimum of time actually focusing on and developing the romance between Ant-Man and Wasp.

It didn't help that I thought Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer had more chemistry then Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly.

I think that just goes to show how Marvel Studios had bungled the Thor property and character for it to get to that point.
    For sure. I think that Shakespearean twist for Thor never really took off the way they wanted it to. And Whedon having no idea how to use Thor on top of that. But I think the 1-2 punch of Ragnorak and being the MVP of Infinity War has completely warped Thor's perception among the general public

For sure. I think that Shakespearean twist for Thor never really took off the way they wanted it to. And Whedon having no idea how to use Thor on top of that. But I think the 1-2 punch of Ragnorak and being the MVP of Infinity War has completely warped Thor's perception among the general public
    I think people were interested in Kenneth Branagh's Thor, but Dark World just bungled it.

Ragnarok definitely changed Thor's perception with the general public, but I can't help but look that and think...is that really Thor?

She would've made an interesting updated Glory.

Peter is...complicated.
    I will concede that it the movies feel more like an AU based on the source material then an adaptation of them (and I'm okay with that).

Flash is a weird mix of Ditko Harry and Flash Thompson, but he's more kind of like Harry then he is an effective Flash. At least Far From Home is bringing in the Spider-Man fanboy nature, assuming it's not just relevant to that scene.
    I don't see much of Harry, to be honest. IMHO, Flash is like Flash, just adapted to the new context (e.g. he still bullies Peter, but in a different way then the comics version did).

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    ...Whedon decided to adapt the Very Worst Take(TM) on BW's backstory in a way that somehow ended up being ten times worse than how it was originally written, the whole movie in general was just overstuffed... It was awkward.
    Don't think so. I never understood why anyone thought the "monster" comment was referring to Black Widow having been sterilized.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)