Default DC Westerns - When and Where?

Johnny Thunder, the Trigger Twins, Overland Coach, etc.

Are there any sources for where and when these were set? Particularly those focusing on what was originally written, rather than what was retconned post-COIE?

Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-19-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Looks like Jonah Hex is one year older than the Trigger Twins.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-19-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Are the trigger twins related to Bruce Wayne ?

Wayne is the first name of one of the twins.
    Their last name is Trigger, an update on their father's original name of Treigar.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-19-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    From Adventure Heroes, by Jeff Rovin (printed in 1994)

This is absolutely terrible - it's plainly using the horrible post-COIE version of the Trigger twins (which I specifically didn't want). This is completely inconsistent with their behavior in the actual 1950s comics. Wayne is the dominant twin who bullies Walt into going along the with the charade. Walt is always saying he doesn't want to take credit. He quit being sheriff at least once (Wayne maneuvered him into taking it back), and told the entire town Wayne was the real hero at least once (it turned out to be April fool's day and with Wayne's maneuvering again meant they didn't believe Walt). At least every other issue, Walt wants out, but Wayne won't let him. I feel so sorry for him when reading those stories - Wayne's happy with the setup and Walt is always feeling miserable and unworthy. And lord forbid he ever actually try to do anything on his own - he'll get put in place.

Also, they probably weren't born that early, since the footnotes reference their new guns that came out in 1879 and 1880, and they definitely aren't in their 40s.

I couldn't even read their post-Crisis story for the way it vilified poor, innocent Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    This is absolutely terrible - it's plainly using the horrible post-COIE version of the Trigger twins (which I specifically didn't want). This is completely inconsistent with their behavior in the actual 1950s comics. Wayne is the dominant twin who bullies Walt into going along the with the charade. Walt is always saying he doesn't want to take credit. He quit being sheriff at least once (Wayne maneuvered him into taking it back), and told the entire town Wayne was the real hero at least once (it turned out to be April fool's day and with Wayne's maneuvering again meant they didn't believe Walt). At least every other issue, Walt wants out, but Wayne won't let him. I feel so sorry for him when reading those stories - Wayne's happy with the setup and Walt is always feeling miserable and unworthy. And lord forbid he ever actually try to do anything on his own - he'll get put in place.

Also, they probably weren't born that early, since the footnotes reference their new guns that came out in 1879 and 1880, and they definitely aren't in their 40s.

I couldn't even read their post-Crisis story for the way it vilified poor, innocent Walt.
    I apologize.

I apologize.

I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't get so worked up. I just hate that story a lot. I don't like big retcons at the best of times (especially character-assassinating ones), but this one was just so pointless, since it's not like were writing many more stories with them, where the change would be relevant.

I'm really trying to figure out where the fictional cities are and pin down exact years, if I can.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-19-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't get so worked up. I just hate that story a lot. I don't like big retcons at the best of times (especially character-assassinating ones), but this one was just so pointless, since it's not like were writing many more stories with them, where the change would be relevant.

I'm really trying to figure out where the fictional cities are and pin down exact years, if I can.
    It's okay.
    I'm just offering what bits of info I have handy.

It's okay.
    I'm just offering what bits of info I have handy.
    Thanks for that, really. I know not many people read the westerns, and I knew it was a long shot asking for actual-gleaned-from-reading info for them.

The Trigger Twins from Who's Who #24, dated February 1987.
    This came out after Crisis, but according to Mike's Amazing World, they had yet to make any post-Crisis appearances and would not until that Secret Origins issue in 1990.

Their last appearance before this profile page was written was in All-Star Squadron #54 and 55.
    Prior to that, their last appearance was in All-Star Western #116 in 1960.

List of Pre-Crisis appearances.

Thanks for that.

As for Tony Barrett, the Overland Coach...
    There's really not much about her.

She didn't get a Who's Who entry and Mike's Amazing World didn't give her an entry, either.
    But if you browse the issues of All-American Western, you can see the titles of her stories. Issues #103-126.

I did find these two pieces of info, though:

https://www.cosmicteams.com/obscure/o.htm
    (She's listed 2nd from the bottom)

http://www.comicbookbin.com/Overland_Coach001.html

As for Tony Barrett, the Overland Coach...
    There's really not much about her.

She didn't get a Who's Who entry and Mike's Amazing World didn't give her an entry, either.
    But if you browse the issues of All-American Western, you can see the titles of her stories. Issues #103-126.

I did find these two pieces of info, though:

https://www.cosmicteams.com/obscure/o.htm
    (She's listed 2nd from the bottom)

http://www.comicbookbin.com/Overland_Coach001.html
    Thanks. Interesting seeing someone comment on the progressiveness of Tony (which I agree with). Generally, too, after the first issue she's quite well regarded (even in the crime fighting business) by most people in most towns she travels to. I prefer the earlier stories with her brother. There one though, at the end, that's ghastly. It's one thing for the stuck up old ladies in town to think she should wear dresses and set a feminine example. It's another entirely for her agree after a little girl is playing an action game (pretending to be like Tony) instead of playing dolls convinces Tony they were right. I mean, it doesn't stick, of course, but it made no sense, anyway. I haven't been able to place the time frame, the train to Laredo appears and Laredo stop didn't exist until 1880/1881, but I don't know that that really matters, anyway - if the writer would have cared, I mean.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-19-2019 at 07:09 PM.