Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Adventures of Superboy TV series.

I've actually thought about getting this from time to time but never pulled the trigger on it. Has anyone seen it all the way through? Is it any good? It was on at a lousy time when I was a kid so I've only seen maybe a handful of episodes. I hear it got better as the series progressed.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I've actually thought about getting this from time to time but never pulled the trigger on it. Has anyone seen it all the way through? Is it any good? It was on at a lousy time when I was a kid so I've only seen maybe a handful of episodes. I hear it got better as the series progressed.
    It's got a cheesy kind of feel to it, but there is some fun to be had. The Superboy actor changed after season 1, which I personally thought was a benefit. The show still has the best takeoffs & landings of any wirework done in live action. A lot of comics writers worked on it too, so I'd say check it out. It kind of has a Superman III vibe, but in a good way. It's fun.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Astonishing Member

It's sort of like the 1960's Batman or Lois & Clark in quality. A lot of the plots are pure camp. and paper thin, but if you are in the right frame of mind it has it's moments.

Michael J Pollard is visually the best live action Mxyztplk. And interestingly the show also has the definitive voice of Mxyzptlk, Gilbert Godfried, even if he is playing a Toyman-wannabe.

The two multipart parallel world episodes were the best of the series (IMO).

And the show's second Lex works as a great character if you don't expect it to fit his comic-book depictions.

I'd see if I could find some episodes or extended clips online. If they interest you, give the series DVDs a shot. If they make you groan then it's not for you.

For me the series was better in memory than when I rewatched. It hasn't aged well. But for a half-hour 1980's TV show it's worth a look.

Great Review of the Series

Part 2

Retired

For a few seconds there I was confused about which TV ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY was the topic--the 1961 series that never got beyond a pilot (although scripts for the first 13 episodes were written), with Jimmy Rockwell as Clark/Superboy; the 1966 Filmation animated adventures, with Bob Hastings as the voice of Superboy/Clark; or the 1988 - 1992 SUPERBOY series, with John Haymes Newton and then Gerard Christopher as Clark/Superboy.

The latter series was quite good for what was a Saturday morning show--so far as I was concerned since that's when it was aired in my location. Much better than SAVED BY THE BELL or MY SECRET IDENTITY--but with about the same production quality. Stacy Haiduk was the main reason I kept watching, but I also liked Sherman Howard as Luthor and both Clarks were quite good.

As the series evolved it became essentially THE X-FILES, before that series existed (it started just after SUPERBOY ended)--which leads me to wonder if the one didn't give birth to the other (down to the red-haired female investigator in both). Although I understand the actual reason for SUPERBOY's cancellation was LOIS AND CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (they didn't want any competition).