Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

so when does Tigra show up next?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    A perfect image of how people writing the character forgot her strength. Even though USAgent is super-strong, IIRC, between Tigra's 5 tons and Spider-Man's 10 tons in strength, he's not even a little bit invulnerable, and she should have ripped him limb from limb, if actually trying to in that panel. Instead, he's unscathed and effortlessly manhandles her.
    IIRC USAgent's costume at that time was synthetic chain armor,/kevlar, so I think it could withstand a clawing attack from Tigra, plus Tigra was holding back a bit i don't know
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    When did the character gain a tail? And am I the only one who hates it?
    That was courtesy of Englehart and Milgrom in WCA. She stronger, faster --- and her stripes were more chaotic. I prefer the original, simpler design with no tail.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Spyder View Post
    IIRC USAgent's costume at that time was synthetic chain armor,/kevlar, so I think it could withstand a clawing attack from Tigra, plus Tigra was holding back a bit i don't know
    She was just acting like a feral cat -- and that's what the scene depitcs. In reality, I think with all her strength -- USA Agent would have been knocked for a loop. I kinda doubt someone in her feral condition would have held back -- it's not a very well-written scene.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Classic art by Paul Ryan from Avengers Annual #18 (October, 1989).

Marvel's Animated Hulu Comedy 'Tigra & Dazzler' on Pause Amid Creative Overhaul (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Marvel's Animated Hulu Comedy 'Tigra & Dazzler' on Pause Amid Creative Overhaul (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true
    I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I saw this coming from miles away. I know the article's saying that they still plan on producing the show and this has nothing to do with Marvel's reestructuring, but honestly, I'm not buying it. ''Creative differences'' was the go-to excuse for Marvel when they cancelled the Netflix shows and Ghost Rider. Do they really want us to believe that they're having another case of creative differences, when the team working on the show was already in its 15th week (out of 20!) of pre-production? The idea that you would let people work for all this time and just now suddenly realize you're not on the same page, dismissing the entire writing staff is quite ridiculous. I will not be suprised if we start hearing about ''creative differences'' issues with the other shows as well, and next thing we know, all of those animated shows are over and done.

If one show goes, they all go. They were supposed to each get a season and then team up as The Offenders. That plan won't work if even one show is axed, so if Tigra and Dazzler goes, the rest will fall like dominos. And yes, this is totally because Marvel Television is being disbanded.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm curious what the general feeling on Tigra and her powers are, regarding the origins or source. By that I mean, are you more interested in Tirga as a character that is slightly supernatural, struggling with the "were-tiger" beast within, with distant Cat Gods or mysterious Cat People in the background. Or would you rather her just as a female hero with feline themed powers? Do you think she should be more bestial in tiger form, or just a sexy woman with stripped skin/fur? Tail or no tail? (I definitely hate the tail)

Astonishing Member

I feel the struggle to conquer bestial urges has been done to death in the comics, but would probably expect it show up in a TV series. As for supernatural versus superhero -- why not both? Cat was created as a kinda female Spider-Man -- moreso than Jessica Drew. She had similar powers and quick quips. As Tigra, she retained most of that sense of humor, but I think the character has been a huge disservice by modern day writers. I really don't see this Hulu TV show fixing that problem. I have no idea why these two were selected to co-star together -- unless they were going for an Odd Couple angle. I think Tigra has the ingredients of a great TV show -- especially if they retain the origin of having her start as costumed hero whose early adventure goes bad -- and results in her being a catperson instead of a person dressed as a cat.

I would recommend anyone developing the show stick to her material from the 70s, and avoid stuff by Bendis (who apparently hates the character) and Jim Shooter (who started her slide into irrelevance). Oh, that Tigra mini-seres by Christina Z and Mike Deodato is prertty good stufff -- much closer to her Marvel Chillers era stories.
    Last edited by kcekada; 12-05-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I saw this coming from miles away. I know the article's saying that they still plan on producing the show and this has nothing to do with Marvel's reestructuring, but honestly, I'm not buying it. ''Creative differences'' was the go-to excuse for Marvel when they cancelled the Netflix shows and Ghost Rider. Do they really want us to believe that they're having another case of creative differences, when the team working on the show was already in its 15th week (out of 20!) of pre-production? The idea that you would let people work for all this time and just now suddenly realize you're not on the same page, dismissing the entire writing staff is quite ridiculous. I will not be suprised if we start hearing about ''creative differences'' issues with the other shows as well, and next thing we know, all of those animated shows are over and done.
    I feel like these shows are like Hellstrom, where they were too in-production for Marvel to completely can too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I'm curious what the general feeling on Tigra and her powers are, regarding the origins or source. By that I mean, are you more interested in Tirga as a character that is slightly supernatural, struggling with the "were-tiger" beast within, with distant Cat Gods or mysterious Cat People in the background. Or would you rather her just as a female hero with feline themed powers? Do you think she should be more bestial in tiger form, or just a sexy woman with stripped skin/fur? Tail or no tail? (I definitely hate the tail)
    I liked Greer as The Cat, a woman with training, strengths and feline powers.

But as Tigra, Greer is more advanced in powers and probably should be shown as a were-woman beast. The Cat People stories were interesting in the past, and can be again, if done correctly.

But Greer's Cat/Human soul/psyche is in harmony. No need to repeat that story with the Cat People. I would like to see new stories.

Tigra should have a little bestial nature, with tail, because she is one of the Cat People, after all. However, Greer's human mind is still dominant.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I believe there's a big compilation due out this coming Wednesday, Tigra TPB (2019 Marvel) The Complete Collection, 400+ pages (for, alas $40) that's got LOADS of Tigra comics, from the time of The Cat, onward. If you don't have these issues, and you like the character, (and, sigh, you have the extra cash), this's a great collection!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

It's on my Amazon wishlist. I think it does include the mini-series by Z and Deodato. The only thing I didn't like about that was that Deodato drew her to look more like the way Tigra was designed for that crappy 90s Avengers animated series.