Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default 31 Days of Halloween (October 1st through 31st)

As the board is no longer cluttered with CBR news hopefully we can get some participants this year.

Here is a loose set of rules you can abide by while participating this month...

1. 31 is the minimum: in order to be counted amongst the super, secret Brethren of the Night (put spooky music here), you must watch at least 31 films. Double and triple billing is highly encouraged. The Max is up to you, but you must at least view 31.

2. Visual Medium Be Damned: The movies shall not be just theatrical. TV, Cable, DVD/VHS and Streaming movies shall be legal tender as well. So view your hearts content.

3. Leave A Trail: Provide an IMDB link of all the films you view. This will allow the others the chance to add to their watchlists for later. Feel free to also add poster art and/or trailers as well to add color to your post.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Thanks for Starting this Up Again this Year Siddon!

Honestly I remember it from last year and tried to participate but sadly could not find the time, I did see some movies here and their but did not get enough done sadly.

So I am exited to try it again and each time share the movies I saw of Horror and Halloween and add them to my list of movies I have seen both again and New too!

Thanks for this and here is hoping I do better this year.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

What about online Horror stories in audio format? I listen to lots of long form terror tales.

That sounds different, just do writeups about the stories. The point of this practice is exposure and love for the genre. The only thing I would caution against is people might want to discuss and share what they think of the entry and you won't get that with audio stories.

For me I set up my rough list and theme for the month a week or so in advance. I ask myself are these 31 movies that I want to watch and I'm able to do so.

My theme for this month is Sci Fi/Monster Movies, I'm going to go through some Kaiju movies, 50's science fiction, and some 80's stuff. I choose this theme because its an area where I haven't really gone into.

I rented a few movies to do this which I'll only start watching tomorrow, October 1.

I don't know if anybody has had this situation happen but there are days where there are several movies available and other days it's incredibly hard to find even one. At some point a few years ago before the sound of midnight, I quickly picked one flick in my collection at the last minute and it wasn't even a true horror flick. lol

But that's beauty of these type of marathons, that it's not always easy between having a movie you would like to watch, finding it, it being available and having the time in your schedule to write a review. But it's horror movies, a great genre so it's a great mix between pain and pleasure, I guess. It's worth it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    That sounds different, just do writeups about the stories. The point of this practice is exposure and love for the genre. The only thing I would caution against is people might want to discuss and share what they think of the entry and you won't get that with audio stories.

For me I set up my rough list and theme for the month a week or so in advance. I ask myself are these 31 movies that I want to watch and I'm able to do so.

My theme for this month is Sci Fi/Monster Movies, I'm going to go through some Kaiju movies, 50's science fiction, and some 80's stuff. I choose this theme because its an area where I haven't really gone into.
    A lot of what I'll be doing is horror based in and around water.
    The water/horror audio stuff will be from Youtube clips I can post here.

I can post about the others. My Theme is Water/Nature Horror films/tales.

I've been attempting this for the last few years but always fall short of the goal. I'm away from home for the next two weeks so I stopped at Walmart and grabbed a couple of those $5 horror movie sets that they have. 14 movies total, should get me through the end of my trip.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

I just finished watching "Pelt". Low budget about a "mountain hillbilly killer". Nothing noteworthy, and rather bad even by low budget standards.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560976/
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

Wilderness(2006)

Unredeeming young men sent to a reform/prison of sort are sent to a forrest as punishment upon the suicide of one of their comrades. When there they are taken down one by one in a graffic way.

Pretty decent survival/horror flick with underrated directed Michael J.Bassett which his first movie Death Watch had tons of raves when it came out. For an indie no budget flick, Death Watch was sublime. This seems far lower in budget and it's not as remarkable as DW cause the concept is more simple and straight forward. But this is quite a ride and pretty entertaining. It's fucked up and bloody. It's young people being assholes.

Incredible Member

October 1. The Crooked Man
    (2016)

2 hours and 37 minutes ago "Hey, its nasty out, been getting over a cold, I guess I'll stay in. Can't decide what to watch, oh, a new SYFY b horror flick is on later. Part of their own "31 Days of Halloween". And Black Dynamite is it! And what's this...Dina "Dizzy Flores" Meyer! The woman who nearly nade me go blind when I was 12. Alright then, I guess I'll make this the first flick of the season."

2 hours and 15 minutes ago: "I regret this decision."

If the Slenderman and Candyman somehow mated and produced a basic-cable baby, it would be the Crooked Man. Dull movie, with performances ranging from bored to amateurish.
    It seems like there's a rule now that all ghosts have to do that elongated jaw thing. BTW, all (three of the) the nameable actors in this are just supporting roles or glorified cameos. And not one roundhouse kick in sight.

On the plus side, Dina Meyer is still hot. (The years have been less kind to Amber Benson, sorry to say)

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    As the board is no longer cluttered with CBR news
    The horror! What will we do if we don't know what Kevin Feige had for lunch!
    Last edited by Jared; 10-24-2016 at 11:53 PM.

BANNED

October 1st I kicked off with this.

Algernon Blackwood is awesome.

BANNED

October 2nd. I'm currently watching/listening to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    October 1. The Crooked Man

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5979690/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq0VxXfhHGo

2 hours and 37 minutes ago "Hey, its nasty out, been getting over a cold, I guess I'll stay in. Can't decide what to watch, oh, a new SYFY b horror flick is on later. Part of their own "31 Days of Halloween". And Black Dynamite is it! And what's this...Dina "Dizzy Flores" Meyer! The woman who nearly nade me go blind when I was 12. Alright then, I guess I'll make this the first flick of the season."

2 hours and 15 minutes ago: "I regret this decision."

If the Slenderman and Candyman somehow mated and produced a basic-cable baby, it would be the Crooked Man. Dull movie, with performances ranging from bored to amateurish.
    It seems like there's a rule now that all ghosts have to do that elongated jaw thing. BTW, all (three of the) the nameable actors in this are just supporting roles or glorified cameos. And not one roundhouse kick in sight.

On the plus side, Dina Meyer is still hot. (The years have been less kind to Amber Benson, sorry to say)

The horror! What will we do if we don't know what Kevin Feige had for lunch!
    Crooked man plays a huge part in the Conjuring 2

I never make all 31 days, but I'll throw my hat in the ring again this year.

October 1 - The Body Snatcher (1945)

One of 3 movies Boris Karloff did with Val Letwon after leaving Universal. Probably best known for being the last movie he and Bela Lugosi appeared in together.

I hadn't seen it before, and it was enjoyable enough. Karloff was great, of course, as the scenery-chewing lowlife. The "good" guys were pretty bland. Some great shots by Robert Wise. Kind of funny that a story taking place in the most Scottish town in the world contains not one trace of a Scottish accent anywhere.

31 Days 31 Monsters

October 1st Daimajin: Monster of Terror (1966)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062851/

t236w0luXJeCatbz860gBndKH4H.jpg

Daimajin is a Kaiju film (giant monster) from 1960's Japan, though the story takes place in Feudal times. So when the Kaiju goes all smashy he's not facing tanks and planes but old guns, spears, and chains. But Daimajin takes more of a less is more route, 75% of the film is Kaiju-less, the monster in the mountains is something that we know is coming but the director delays it until the climax. Normally this would feel like a cheat, a way to save money but the reality is the movie is gorgeous. Daimajin is at it's heart a morality tale, it's the story of a town whose lord has been usurped by a villianous samurai and his cohorts. The lord and his wife die but the two children escape with several vassal's agreeing to return in 10 years to take out the usurper.

In those 10 years the usurper runs the village into the ground, forcing the peasants into slave labor, mocking the mountain god and being a generally bad guy. For over an hour he's winning at every turn, he decides to then commit one last act of evil to the mountain god, sending a group to destroy the Samurai statue. That was a big mistake...the Kaiju comes to life and the last 15-20 minutes are pure rampaging glory where the god punishes not only the bad but also the good.

I wouldn't even say the movie is a slow build, you basically have this great samurai movie which turns into a monster film. It balances heady subject matter like spiritualism and environmentalism with giant monster killing things.

This was a great movie Daimajin: Monster of Terror (1966) ****1/2 stars

Next up, a US atomic monster film