View Poll Results: Is Steve Trevor Wonder Woman's One True Love?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 64.44%
  • No

16 35.56%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That's great and all but, again, none of it involved him and Diana being in a relationship. With Lois and Clark for example, we've seen their relationship develop while equally being focused on as individual characters. Johns might have done some interesting things with Steve but he didn't actually show what a relationship between the two was like to get audiences invested. I even recall some romantic tension between him and Selina in JLA.

I also think it's unreasonable to say that just because Diana doesn't have Steve she should have no one but I imagine my personal choice wouldn't be popular with some people here nor would it be something DC would be willing to fully commit too.

I don't think people are under the impression King invented the pairing but rather have issues with how the writing around it has panned out.
    Exactly, it was his execution that turned so many people off the pairing, but I digress (now is neither the time nor the place).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think people are under the impression King invented the pairing but rather have issues with how the writing around it has panned out.
    Not everyone does and what you describe is the more reasonable stance on it (even among some Bat/Cat shippers), but that's not all that I've encountered.

But yeah, not the forum for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Just because Diana and Steve weren't shown as a couple in the New 52 doesn't mean that their feelings for each other were gone. As I recall, Diana broke things off with Steve to protect him, not because she lost her attraction to him. In Rebirth, they were definitely shown as a solid couple until their break-up about a year ago.
    Up until Rebirth, it seemed like DC was of the opinion Superman was Diana's true love not Steve. He may have still been in love with her but her feelings for him were platonic at best.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I like the Wonder Woman / Batman potential storyline in the Justice League animated TV series. I wish they had kept the show going, because it looked like something was going on, but not yet fully realized before the show ended.

She was the light, he was the darkness and to me it made sense for them to be attracted to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I like the Wonder Woman / Batman potential storyline in the Justice League animated TV series. I wish they had kept the show going, because it looked like something was going on, but not yet fully realized before the show ended.

She was the light, he was the darkness and to me it made sense for them to be attracted to one another.
    Honestly, in-universe I never got the attraction beyond the very tired "girl has the hots for the bad boy" cliche. That it was largely portrayed one-sided didn't do her any favors also.

Out of universe, it was obvious Timm had to shill his favorite character by having every woman swoon over him.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post

I agree with you that it was/is an intriguing concept. I sincerely hope it is explored further in the future.

Also, I'd much rather see Wondy with a character who can stand on their own rather than a totally Diana narrative dependant character like Steve Trevor any day. He is a dead weight that no longer adds anything of value and has been so for decades.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-24-2020 at 08:47 AM.

I think a lot of the reason Steve isn’t a love interest is maybe due to Perez. And Dc I feel not knowing what to do. He can be a love interest

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I agree with you that it was/is an intriguing concept. I sincerely hope it is explored further in the future.

Also, I'd much rather see Wondy with a character who can stand on their own rather than a totally Diana narrative dependant character like Steve Trevor any day. He is a dead weight that no longer adds anything of value and has been so for decades.
    "Dependent on Diana" in most cases is better than being arm candy for Bats or Supes, which is pretty much how either of those pairings are usually portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    "Dependent on Diana" in most cases is better than being arm candy for Bats or Supes, which is pretty much how either of those pairings are usually portrayed.
    It doesn't have to be. I still think they are more interesting choices by default than is Steve but Diana ideally needs a new love interest of her own, IMO.

It doesn't have to be. I still think they are more interesting choices than Steve but Diana ideally needs a new love interest of her own, IMO.
    It doesn't have to be, but history has shown that more often than not it is.

Steve is narratively dependent on Diana, but really so are Lois with Superman and even Catwoman with Batman. They aren't the main characters of those IPs so that's pretty much how it's going to work, it's just that those IPs have had far more consistent and competent expansions over the years and time to flesh them out way more than Steve (or any WW support character) generally gets.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It doesn't have to be, but history has shown that more often than not it is.

Steve is narratively dependent on Diana, but really so are Lois with Superman and even Catwoman with Batman. They aren't the main characters of those IPs so that's pretty much how it's going to work, it's just that those IPs have had far more consistent and competent expansions over the years and time to flesh them out way more than Steve (or any WW support character) generally gets.
    Maybe, but I can't see Steve carrying his own book at this point even for a short period. I find Lois and Selina (to a lesser degree post-King) interesting in their own right not so Steve who is as exciting as watching paint dry. And by narratively dependant I mean if Steve vanished tomorrow it would make zero difference to the comic book moving forward.

It doesn't have to be. I still think they are more interesting choices by default than is Steve but Diana ideally needs a new love interest of her own, IMO.
    Maybe, but no one at DC whether in comics or other media have a great track record. And between Injustice, DCAU, and other instances I have zero desire moving forward of seeing Diana romantically tied to Clark or Bruce. It's ultimately just degrading to her as a character.
    Maybe, but I can't see Steve carrying his own book at this point even for a short period. I find Lois and Selina (to a lesser degree post-King) interesting in their own right not so Steve who is as exciting as watching paint dry. And by narratively dependant I mean if Steve vanished tomorrow it would make zero difference to the comic book moving forward.
    Given Bruce's multiple love interests across comics/media or the many notable Bat-stories that don't involve Catwoman, I could say the same about Selina.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Maybe, but no one at DC whether in comics or other media have a great track record. And between Injustice, DCAU, and other instances I have zero desire moving forward of seeing Diana romantically tied to Clark or Bruce. It's ultimately just degrading to her as a character.

Given Bruce's multiple love interests across comics/media or the many notable Bat-stories that don't involve Catwoman, I could say the same about Selina.
    You could but you'd be wrong. Selina has carried her own book on multiple occasions and been part of books without Bats (and other media).
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-24-2020 at 09:44 AM.

You could but you'd be wrong. Selina has carried her own book on multiple occasions and been part of books without Bats (and other media).
    She has, but there are Batman stories that function without her. She's too big to remove permanently, it would definitely feel her absence...but the WW franchise has felt Steve's absence at times. It had other stuff going on, but it tried to fill the void with the likes of Mike Schorr, Trevor Barnes and Tom Tressor, and none of them exactly set the world on fire. Similarly, a Superman mythos without Lois is a definite no-go, but you can definitely get by in some stories with either minimal or no appearances from her.

It's hard to imagine Steve carrying his own book or mini, but then he hasn't been given the chances Selina or Lois have had in that regard. And even though Lois sustained an ongoing back in the day, most of it hasn't aged well.

Fantastic Member

If he isn't, then no one else is. What especially helps Steve is that he was created by Marston, and his role as Diana's OTL was absolutely cemented by the Wonder Woman movie.

His only serious competition is Superman, who already has his own one true love, and it ain't Diana.
    Last edited by TheBatman; 11-24-2020 at 11:15 AM.