Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Will you be seeing the Fantastic Four reboot?

Will you be seeing the Fantastic Four reboot? Yes or no, there is no try. You can state your reasoning, but let's not hate on each other's answers.

I will not be seeing it, although I am fond enough of the FF to have seen their 1st two movies in theatres. My reasoning is the obvious one. I'll compare this against two other major character changes in Marvel movies: Michael Clarke Duncan did not bother me as Kingpin. Samuel L. Jackson bothered me a little as Nick Fury, but not enough to make me consider not seeing movies in which this scenario is present.

Yes, Michael B. Jordan destroys my interest in FF. Why is this scenario different than the previous two? You could probably guess this, but it has to do with how strongly I feel for the character. Kingpin is a villain, so he doesn't get as much screen time as the heroes. Even then only for a few is he a serious antagonist. Fury is head of S.H.I.E.L.D. and featured in a broad range of scenarios in the comics and even a playable character in 'The Punisher' arcade game. Still, not a major, major character.

For my entire life, multiple decades, the Human Torch has been presented exactly the same way. That means a starring role in thousands of panels inside hundreds of comic books, video games, cartoons, live-action movies. Always the same. Michael B. Jordan will never be the Human Torch that I've known my entire life. I won't enjoy a movie starring a fake character in one of the main roles when the sole purpose of movies for me is seeing the comics I've known my whole life become real.

I saw Avatar and all the people were blue. It didn't bother me. Because I'd never seen an Avatar person before that. Now, if the Avatar people are green in Avatar 2, I probably won't see it. And if the non-human characters were changed from apes to panda bears in the next 'Planet of the Apes' movie, you probably wouldn't be too interested in that one, either.

BANNED

Michael B. Jordan being black on itself shouldn't really be a problem.
    But besides that there is also the frat boy Reed Richards, the skinny Thing and the not black Sue Storm.

I'll still go see it and, not really being a Fantasitic Four fan or know really anything about the comics beyond the first two movies and the 1960's and latest cartoons, I think I would probably enjoy it as a movie not knowing all the ''sins'' in adaptation it might have. I just think that fans have legitimate reasons to think that this Fantastic Four movie wont have the Fantastic Four in it.
    Last edited by Vidocq; 06-13-2014 at 12:06 PM.

No, not in theaters, and not because the Human Torch will be played by Jordan but because, let's be honest here, what we've heard about the film so far sounds like a terrible FF movie. I don't like Jordan as the HT, not because he's black but because he looks like a promising actor and should probably have waited for a better role to come along. Honestly I don't like any actor in the role of HT, cause I'm not the type to wish people to star in bombs. And this looks like it'll bomb so bad.

I hope I'm wrong mind, I hope I'm wrong and it'll be great, but I wouldn't put money on it.

BANNED

The interesting thing about this film is that Jordon is the only one of the other FF whom I trust would provide a credible performance. It's just a pity that out of all the superhero films he could have been in it had to be a movie that looks like nothing more than a half assed rush job. He deserves a better movie than this IMO

I honestly have hardly any interest in it. Of course, there's always "that chance," but at this point I'm not following it with any sense of anticipation or interest.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I honestly have hardly any interest in it. Of course, there's always "that chance," but at this point I'm not following it with any sense of anticipation or interest.
    Yeah I always believe in the possibility that a movie would end up surprisingly good but the more I hear about it the more I feel that there isn't any effort put in making this watchable.

I'll inevitably end up seeing it, just not that excited for it.

The Human Torch is the only casting in that film that I think is any good.
    You've never seen Judge Dredd and THE LAW at the same time. Just saying.

Very good posts by all so far and thanks for playing nice in my thread. Some of you have brought up other flaws you've seen in the casting of FF. Amazing Spider-Man 2 also had issues in that regard. Electro...well, if Jamie Foxx would've been sporting anything resembling the iconic Electro outfit, I would've thought it was cool. Instead, he was this blue thing copied from 'Watchmen' which killed it for me. Then, there was Paul Giamatti as Rhino. Rhino has always been this hulking figure. Giamatti is a borderline midget. What is the reasoning behind these drastic changes?

I don't think it's any secret that the best super-hero movies like 'Days of Future Past', 'Avengers, 'Iron Man', and 'Dark Knight' all keep the characters very close to their source material. They were created that way for a reason and their entire story is based around it. You can make small changes like Spider-Man shooting webs out of his skin as opposed to a web shooter or the X-Men sporting different costumes. But when they make wholesale changes, it's a good sign that there's a looney running the project that knows he needs to make headlines some artificial way.

BANNED

Nope.

Jordan is fine.

The rest sounds stupid.

Astonishing Member

Not in the theatre.

The studio ignored all the other races. If you want to make a big change, do it in style. Either make it a multi-racial group or just leave it like the original. Don't be so biased.
    Last edited by Colossus1980; 06-13-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Not in the theatre.

The studio ignored all the other races. If you want to make a big change, do it in style. Either make it a multi-racial group or just leave it like the original. Don't be so biased.
    They should've just made a 'New Warriors' movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Not in the theatre.

Not just multi-racial. Make it where each of the four members have different cultures also yet still keep the spirit of the comic the movie is based on intact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
    I'll inevitably end up seeing it, just not that excited for it.

The Human Torch is the only casting in that film that I think is any good.
    That is because he is the only one that didn't felt like a rush job.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RememberCaseyJones View Post
    Very good posts by all so far and thanks for playing nice in my thread. Some of you have brought up other flaws you've seen in the casting of FF. Amazing Spider-Man 2 also had issues in that regard. Electro...well, if Jamie Foxx would've been sporting anything resembling the iconic Electro outfit, I would've thought it was cool. Instead, he was this blue thing copied from 'Watchmen' which killed it for me. Then, there was Paul Giamatti as Rhino. Rhino has always been this hulking figure. Giamatti is a borderline midget. What is the reasoning behind these drastic changes?

I don't think it's any secret that the best super-hero movies like 'Days of Future Past', 'Avengers, 'Iron Man', and 'Dark Knight' all keep the characters very close to their source material. They were created that way for a reason and their entire story is based around it. You can make small changes like Spider-Man shooting webs out of his skin as opposed to a web shooter or the X-Men sporting different costumes. But when they make wholesale changes, it's a good sign that there's a looney running the project that knows he needs to make headlines some artificial way.
    I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you seem to get too hung up in very little details that ultimately mean nothing to the movie. Electro had strange motivation and inconsitent power levels, The Rhino was really a cameo despite being marketed as the third villain, those are real problems with the movie that affects the watching experience. The probable reason why you mind this changes more than say... The Joker being that way because of make up and not disfigurement caused by Batman or Kitty Pryde not being the protagonist of Days of Future Past and having completely different but powerful psychic powers, or the natural web shooters and MJ being the high school sweetheart instead of Gwen is because those movies had tighter scripts and overall direction, not because of how close they were to the source material (as most of the examples you listed are not).

Eventually but only Jordan had me excited. Everything else sounds like crap.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium