Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

These New Warriors might actually be the worst superhero designs and concepts I've ever seen. Anywhere. Ever.

I'm being completely serious when I say that part of me thinks that this is all an elaborate April Fool's joke.

Usually, even if I don't like a character I can at least understand what they were going for or why they thought it would appeal to people but I just don't get this. Just because Fortnite is a popular game, that doesn't mean that making a hero based around Fornite dances is a good idea. And making heroes based on Twitter, "debates" and memes feels, at best, gimmicky. Because there's no way anyone looked at Safespace and Snowflake and thought, "Yes, these are characters that will stand the test of time".

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    These New Warriors might actually be the worst superhero designs and concepts I've ever seen. Anywhere. Ever.

I'm being completely serious when I say that part of me thinks that this is all an elaborate April Fool's joke.

Usually, even if I don't like a character I can at least understand what they were going for or why they thought it would appeal to people but I just don't get this. Just because Fortnite is a popular game, that doesn't mean that making a hero based around Fornite dances is a good idea. And making heroes based on Twitter, "debates" and memes feels, at best, gimmicky. Because there's no way anyone looked at Safespace and Snowflake and thought, "Yes, these are characters that will stand the test of time".
    This is what I've been saying. These characters were clearly created to be plot devices. They're going to turn out to be evil or get killed or get captured by SHEILD or whatever needs to happen for Ms Marvel and friends can come save the day during the event.

More gimmicky than a guy with Surfboard, More gimmicky than a black exploitation character, more gimmicky than a Bruce lee ripoff, More gimmicky than a guy with a skateboard, More gimmicky than female disco singer with skates, More gimmicky than 90s heroes inspired by extreme look. Superheroes have always been influenced by the media and the era. You can say the same thing about the originals No way anybody look at "speedball and night thrasher go these characters that will stand the test of time"
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-22-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This is what I've been saying. These characters were clearly created to be plot devices. They're going to turn out to be evil or get killed or get captured by SHEILD or whatever needs to happen for Ms Marvel and friends can come save the day during the event.
    SHIELD no longer exists, they disbanded at the end of Secret Empire.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Marvel, the writers and everybody who have followed comics twitter or youtube for the last few years knew that there would be an over reaction to the names and true to form everyone reacted as expected.

So clearly, the point was to be gimmicky. This is a mini and the writer most likely was not thinking about the longevity of these characters, if they actually capture a fanbase then so be it. I don't know if they are going to be good characters or not since I have never read anything by the writer but in capable hands a good writer can take a gimmick and turn into something more.

Based on the characters power descriptions the names actually suits them and taken away from the current cultural context these are actually okay names.

So as with all comics I take a wait and see approach and judge the book after I have read it, rather than be triggered by the names of the characters and act like a Snowflake that needs a Safespace

That said, while I don't have any problems with the names of the characters I will admit that I don't like their design.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    SHIELD no longer exists, they disbanded at the end of Secret Empire.
    I know. I was just trying to think examples of plot twists.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Marvel, the writers and everybody who have followed comics twitter or youtube for the last few years knew that there would be an over reaction to the names and true to form everyone reacted as expected.

So clearly, the point was to be gimmicky. This is a mini and the writer most likely was not thinking about the longevity of these characters, if they actually capture a fanbase then so be it. I don't know if they are going to be good characters or not since I have never read anything by the writer but in capable hands a good writer can take a gimmick and turn into something more.

Based on the characters power descriptions the names actually suits them and taken away from the current cultural context these are actually okay names.

So as with all comics I take a wait and see approach and judge the book after I have read it, rather than be triggered by the names of the characters and act like a Snowflake that needs a Safespace

That said, while I don't have any problems with the names of the characters I will admit that I don't like their design.
    Daniel Kibblesmith pretty much admits this in the promo trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Why is "She-Hulk" criticizing names?
    Because Jen likes her codename. She got ticked when Jane Foster insulted her for it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Daniel Kibblesmith pretty much admits this in the promo trailer.
    That is another big thing. Marvel is all about diversity and getting new voices out there and who is writing this book with almost all minority characters? Another white guy. Yeah a white guy named Kibblesmith is really going to get the tone right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is another big thing. Marvel is all about diversity and getting new voices out there and who is writing this book with almost all minority characters? Another white guy. Yeah a white guy named Kibblesmith is really going to get the tone right here.
    lol riiight
    GrindrStone(D)

THANK YOU, so much. This is the real issue that is never addressed. Why is the same one type given agency to write for the voice of others so often. X-Men suffer from this majorly. At the very least talk to, or associate with black men before you write them. Hell I wish Kibblesmith would have ran this by me, dude would have got set straight with all quickness!

Invincible Member

If it was a serious attempt, they probably would have gotten more diverse creators involved, as they have in the recent past. But again, these are red herrings and they were deliberately meant stereotypes. The stereotypes are the point.
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-22-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    THANK YOU, so much. This is the real issue that is never addressed. Why is the same one type given agency to write for the voice of others so often. X-Men suffer from this majorly. At the very least talk to, or associate with black men before you write them. Hell I wish Kibblesmith would have ran this by me, dude would have got set straight with all quickness!
    You would have told him what it's like to be a non-binary teen? ( just joking )

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    More gimmicky than a guy with Surfboard, More gimmicky than a black exploitation character, more gimmicky than a Bruce lee ripoff, More gimmicky than a guy with a skateboard, More gimmicky than female disco singer with skates, More gimmicky than 90s heroes inspired by extreme look. Superheroes have always been influenced by the media and the era. You can say the same thing about the originals No way anybody look at "speedball and night thrasher go these characters that will stand the test of time"
    That kind of falls flat because:
    1. Those characters were still made to be legitimate superheroes that had that aesthetic.
    2. They were still made as characters first, they just happened to have that theme.

Characters like Luke Cage, Shang-Chi, Night Thrasher, Dazzler and so on, have followings because for as representative of their time that they were, they also managed to be cool by way of being well developed and well designed. They're liked now, and they were liked back then, so clearly they did something right.

Can't say the same for the NuWarriors. They're archetypes based on the cringiest aspects of society, and amplified even further to utter ridiculousness. We have what amounts to a guy with a cell phone, two of the most ridiculous Tumblr OCs ever, a Dora the Explorer character, and an androgynous vampire. They're just horrible, and we need to acknowledge a bad idea when we see one.

I actually kinda like the vampire guy.

B Negative is a great name for a vampire.