Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I actually kinda like the vampire guy.

B Negative is a great name for a vampire.
    who listens to The Cure
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    More gimmicky than a guy with Surfboard, More gimmicky than a black exploitation character, more gimmicky than a Bruce lee ripoff, More gimmicky than a guy with a skateboard, More gimmicky than female disco singer with skates, More gimmicky than 90s heroes inspired by extreme look. Superheroes have always been influenced by the media and the era. You can say the same thing about the originals No way anybody look at "speedball and night thrasher go these characters that will stand the test of time"
    Heh, pretty much. If people dislike the characters and/or their names...so be it. But let's not act like Speedball or Night Thrasher aren't dumb as hell names as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    That kind of falls flat because:
    1. Those characters were still made to be legitimate superheroes that had that aesthetic.
    2. They were still made as characters first, they just happened to have that theme.

Characters like Luke Cage, Shang-Chi, Night Thrasher, Dazzler and so on, have followings because for as representative of their time that they were, they also managed to be cool by way of being well developed and well designed. They're liked now, and they were liked back then, so clearly they did something right.
    Luke Cage was well designed...? Dazzler? LOL. I think you may be wearing nostalgia goggles.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Dazzler?
    Intentions by Marvel to cash-in on the disco craze of the time aside, I think one of what set apart Dazzler from many other superpowered beings then was that she was neither an avowed hero or villain. She used her powers as special effects in her performances and only reluctantly got involved in high-level heroics. Maybe she wasn't the only one, but it was assumed that if you have superpowers you have to be a hero or villain.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is another big thing. Marvel is all about diversity and getting new voices out there and who is writing this book with almost all minority characters? Another white guy. Yeah a white guy named Kibblesmith is really going to get the tone right here.
    Well look at how the last set of POC writers have been treated.

Most of them were unwelcomed the moment they were hired.

Eve Ewing saw a photo of her with a NOOSE around her neck.

Gabby Rivera got death threats over America.

Brian Hill blamed for Vertigo closing.

We won't discuss the train wreck going on in Black Panther.

Not everyone who wants to write for comic wants to put up with that nonsense.

With that said-if I am an editor I am NOT green lighting a book with twins with troll baiting names. I wouldn't have those guys in the book. Let me go get some teens in limbo for them to mentor.
    Kibblesmith-he can do a one shot with those guys.

I am NOT in the business of trying to attract trolls. That is disrespectful to everyone who has suffered at their hands- Marvel employee or not.

I wouldn't be shocked if Kibblesmith got this dumped on him instead of him pitching it. We saw this with Gwenpool's mini-Leah didn't pitch it, she got it dumped on her.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

With that said-if I am an editor I am NOT green lighting a book with twins with troll baiting names. I wouldn't have those guys in the book. Let me go get some teens in limbo for them to mentor.

I am NOT in the business of trying to attract trolls. That is disrespectful to everyone who has suffered at their hands- Marvel employee or not.

I wouldn't be shocked if Kibblesmith got this dumped on him instead of him pitching it. We saw this with Gwenpool's mini-Leah didn't pitch it, she got it dumped on her.
    Hell, everyone should remember the cast that Kevin G got saddled with.

And to be clear, there are plenty of legit complaints to be had with Coates

People dragging this team left and right as they should

What the hell? As far as I can see her only crime is having no history as a comic book writer before she wrote Ironheart. That doesn't justify showing her being hanged!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    1. Those characters were still made to be legitimate superheroes that had that aesthetic.
    2. They were still made as characters first, they just happened to have that theme.
    I am not arguing if these characters are good or bad. I am telling people comics have always chosen aspects of society that represent the times and lot of time those were bad ideas. I will go ahead say it Silver Surfer is a horrible design that traps on of the best characters with a cheesy gimmick imagined if they created superman and trapped him with name and object that generation of people won't care about . I have seen this stuff before the only difference is that these are self aware gimmicks you don't name characters safespace and snowflake in the internet era and not understand that people are going to talk about them and the type of discourse that will happen. Nothing people are saying isn't expected the creators are ready for this type of talk.

Will these characters stand the test of time? That always depends on the creators who come after and what they do with them. Luke Cage was molded in something good, Night thrasher became underrated character, Shang Chi and Dazzler got better, I have seen have other people take over Rob liefeld stuff and making them different and pretty good. Initial design doesn't mean as much as people think and initial artist style isn't help the cause with current opinion.

Anyways moving on

Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-22-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Part of me wants to see these characters become popular just to see twitter explode.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Part of me wants to see these characters become popular just to see twitter explode.
    Me too lol!the overreaction is just too comical for words. The number of YT videos and posts on this inactive thread this has prompted is just ridiculous.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Me too lol!the overreaction is just too comical for words. The number of YT videos and posts on this inactive thread this has prompted is just ridiculous.
    And that’s just the thing: if you look up New Warriors on YouTube right now and keep scrolling, you’ll find one video with someone talking about the OG team, a couple of videos about the attempted TV show from a while back and literally all of the other videos are from people hating on the new team. It took this thread 3 months to get to 6 pages, and look how much discussion this controversy has generated in a couple of days. This book is the first time the OG team is almost entirely back together in years, we’ve known this for a month, but that’s not even discussed anymore because people are focusing all of their energy on a bunch of obviously satirical characters that more than likely will go to limbo after this mini is over. If people are wondering why Marvel is doing this with the New Warriors, the reason is very clear: not enough people are caring about this title without a gimmick.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I know, right? I'm not in love with the idea, and haven't even seen them in action yet to like or dislike them, but the reactions have left me wanting to see the world burn. Preferably with a comfy removed view and lots of popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

This honestly puts me in mind of that Sesame Street song -

One Of These Things (Is Not Like The Others)
    One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong...

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    This honestly puts me in mind of that Sesame Street song -

One Of These Things (Is Not Like The Others)
    One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong...
    Forgot the HORRENDOUS Post MDay team of New Warriors where it was just a buncha depowered Mutants with tech enabling them to be on the front lines of mediocrity and canon fodder-ness
    GrindrStone(D)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You mean they got the same bullshit that their white counterparts get? Well I'll be damned.

Not sure about Bryan Hill getting dragged since he had one of the good books with the last Vertigo line. It was mostly the line editor (who's white) for hiring a child groomer and that GG scammer chick.
    "Cable was right!"