Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm thinking about getting the IDW collection of the Batman newspaper comic strips from the 60's, but I'd like to know if someone would recommend it. Even though I'm sure the quality of the hardcover itself is great, I don't really know anything about the stories within.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I'm thinking about getting the IDW collection of the Batman newspaper comic strips from the 60's, but I'd like to know if someone would recommend it. Even though I'm sure the quality of the hardcover itself is great, I don't really know anything about the stories within.
    OK; don't have it yet myself (seldom have $$$ for hardcovers) but that shall be a book under a "sooner or later" to me after all; it supposedly has stories with Joker, Penguin, Batgirl, and probably this Poison Ivy story:
    http://batgirlbat-trap.com/twof1/lost/ivy2.html
    http://batgirlbat-trap.com/twof1/lost/gotmore2.htm
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-17-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Incredible Member

I got Batman: The Man Who Laughs, Batman and The Mad Monk, Detective Comics: Emperor Penguin, Batman:Zero Year Secret City, Batmaneath of the Family,Batman 66 Volume 1, Plan on ordering soon Legends of the Dark Knight Alan Davis and Tales of the Batman Volume 1 Gene Colon.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Why would the obtaining of reprints be celebrated?

Seriously, as comic buyer and collector and fan, to say have managed to find and purchase something actually awe-inspiring, such as I myself have Batman #232 (1st app. Ra's Al Ghul) and #251 (Joker's Five-Way Revenge) or to say have Knightfall, I myself have Batman #491 to 497 and Detective Comics #659 to 663 (prelude, pts 1-12). To say you have gotten yourselves a reprint, means you have gotten yourselves a reprint.
    Good for you, bro, but your elitism just makes you appear "holier than thou". I like collecting singles as well and spend a decent amount of money each week. That being said, I and most other comic readers can't afford to read every single Batman tale (not to mention the other comics most of us follow) in singles, nor do most of us have room for an entire collection of singles. Plus, a lot of people like TPBs/hardcovers because they are complete tales, look cool on a shelf, are a great way to introduce somebody to comics (as opposed to giving them a huge stack of singles to read), and nowadays many of them come with extras such as artwork, interviews, rough drafts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I have it and Like it. Its not for everyone I admit but its still a good read.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Why would the obtaining of reprints be celebrated?

Seriously, as comic buyer and collector and fan, to say have managed to find and purchase something actually awe-inspiring, such as I myself have Batman #232 (1st app. Ra's Al Ghul) and #251 (Joker's Five-Way Revenge) or to say have Knightfall, I myself have Batman #491 to 497 and Detective Comics #659 to 663 (prelude, pts 1-12). To say you have gotten yourselves a reprint, means you have gotten yourselves a reprint.
    There are countless copies of Batman 251 on eBay at the moment. They're right there for the taking. There is ONE copy of Sin City Library, a gigantic and gorgeous reprint collection that looks fantastic on my shelf and takes several hours to read, and make no mistake, I do read it. I didn't buy it so I could tell other people to be awe-inspired while it sits in a frame.

I recently found and purchased a NM, first print copy of the elusive, out of print, and overpriced "Strange Apparitions" TPB at my LCS. And guess how much it cost me? COVER PRICE ($12.95)!!!! I have seen that thing going for $100 easily online. I love those old 70's Batman stories by Englehart and Rogers, but there's no way I would have paid that much for a copy.

Recently bought and read the tpb of Batman: The Long Halloween.
    (Only paid $12.95 including sales tax . . . postage included.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I recently found and purchased a NM, first print copy of the elusive, out of print, and overpriced "Strange Apparitions" TPB at my LCS. And guess how much it cost me? COVER PRICE ($12.95)!!!! I have seen that thing going for $100 easily online. I love those old 70's Batman stories by Englehart and Rogers, but there's no way I would have paid that much for a copy.
    Oooo, you dirty dog! I'm envious. I've been hunting for that one at a decent price (under 30$) for a few years now. Bravo on the score.

Some user suggested I get the reprinted Shadow of the Batman floppies, but despite their very cool covers and more affordable price, I still covet the Strange Apparitions trade much more. Also hunting for the Batman: Vampire trade so I'm a little salty at Magnum Valentino too.

I did manage to scoop up War Games 1-3 on the cheap lately, and want to build a run of trades from Batman: Evolution. I just got Evolution and Officer Down, but don't really know what is supposed to come next...I've seen a Scarecrow trade with the Evolution/New Gotham logo but am unsure about how it all 'fits'.

I just got the Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul hardcover, which was the only part of Morrison's run that I was missing. I don't remember it making much of an impression on me back when it came out, but hopefully it'll read better all together.

Also ordered all three of the Burbaker Catwoman trades (new editions). I have not read this one previously, but I was in the mood for catching up with Selina and this was the run everyone kept talking about. Hope it's worth it!

Incredible Member

Got a copy of The Cult on ebay. £10.
    If only I could get Shaman for a similar price.

Spectacular Member

Got the zero year HC and the contagion trade from my LCS yesterday. Got contagion for £4 which is not bad since it's out of print (I think).
    Does anyone know why the 0 issue wasn't included in the zero year trade? Seems a bit strange to leave out what is basically the first part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Valentino View Post
    With the mask?
    I don't think that's out til later in the year, like September. That's what I'm holding out for, mask looks awesome compared to the V for Vendetta and City of Owls book & mask sets. Even has the green hair:

As for OP, I recently got round to buying The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Hush finally. After I read these I'm pretty much done (for now) with the classic /most known batman stories that were on my to read list, and gonna start on the New 52. Waiting on Court of Owls Book & Mask set too.

In the future once I've caught up I'd like to go back and collect Knightfall. Gonna buy Earth-One too but in no rush.

Incredible Member

That's awesome!! That is one of my favorite books and I love Englehart and Rogers run as well.

Spectacular Member

If people are buying those for a $100 bucks, they are crazy. I've seen quite a few out of print trades being sold for loony prices like that before. I know some of the Batman Legends of the Dark Knight trades would be listed crazy expensive and you could get the actual issues out of a .50 cent bin or maybe a buck or two an issue.

I'd figure "Strange Apparitions" one is probably due to get reprinted in hard cover.